[1.8.1] Kerbal Konstructs - 1.8.1.15 - 15.Dec.2019

Ger_space

10 hours ago, panarchist said:

If you want to *use* it, yes. If you want to create bases, no - use KSP 1.11.2 instead.

Will it ever be safe to create bases? Seems like the mod is abandoned.

Edited by AnFa

1 hour ago, AnFa said:

Will it ever be safe to create bases? Seems like the mod is abandoned.

The mod is not abandoned, read the last 2 pages of this thread. It is safe to create bases now, you just have to do it in an earlier version than 1.12.1  The latest version of KSP introduced findable bases to add to the launch button and this just interfered with the editing pop up. If you create bases in an earlier version and then import them into 1.12.1 , they actually show up in the launch drop down button. A work around is being researched, but that takes time as the new code has to be gone through and the conflicts identified and then hopefully coded around. It is just 1 aspect that is not turning up at the moment, no need to think it is all over.

6 hours ago, ColdJ said:

The mod is not abandoned, read the last 2 pages of this thread. It is safe to create bases now, you just have to do it in an earlier version than 1.12.1  The latest version of KSP introduced findable bases to add to the launch button and this just interfered with the editing pop up. If you create bases in an earlier version and then import them into 1.12.1 , they actually show up in the launch drop down button. A work around is being researched, but that takes time as the new code has to be gone through and the conflicts identified and then hopefully coded around. It is just 1 aspect that is not turning up at the moment, no need to think it is all over.

Ah, I see. Apologies then.

4 minutes ago, somepotatoinspace said:

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Until there is an update, your only option for editing is to do it in a KSP 1.11.2 instance and then copy the changes you make to a KSP 1.12.x instance for game-play.

I forgot to do the quote here

1 minute ago, Caerfinon said:

Until there is an update, your only option for editing is to do it in a KSP 1.11.2 instance and then copy the changes you make to a KSP 1.12.x instance for game-play.

How do I run KSP on 1.11.2?

Edited by somepotatoinspace

27 minutes ago, somepotatoinspace said:

How do I run KSP on 1.11.2?

If you have steam you can use the library Manage\Properties\BETAS to download different versions of KSP.

Things to do before you download a new version of KSP.

1.  Copy your exising KSP install to a different directory (i.e. Move  \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program to \Program Files (x86)\Kerbal\[version number]\Kerbal Space Program
  2. Now download your new version of KSP from steam and install it, 
  3. repeat step 1 for the new version of KSP you installed.
  4. When finished you can launch the exe in each new instances to load that particular version of KSP. 
  5. You can set up CKAN to manage separate mod lists for each instance
  6. NEVER ADD MODS TO THE STEAM INSTALL VERSION AGAIN. IT IS NOW ONLY FOR PATCHES AND UPDATES OR DOWNLOADING A DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE PROGRAM.

If you didn't get it from steam, then you will need to log into the store with your account and download and install the older version of KSP that they have available.

Edited by Caerfinon

2 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

If you have steam you can use the library Manage\Properties\BETAS to download different versions of KSP.

Things to do before you download a new version of KSP.

1.  Copy your exisint KSP inmstall to a different directory (i.e. Move  \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program to \Program Files (x86)\Kerbal\[version number]\Kerbal Space Program
  2. Now download your new version of KSP from steam and install it, 
  3. repeat step 1 for the new version of KSP you installed.
  4. When finished you can launch the exe in each new instances to load that particular version of KSP. 
  5. You can set up CKAN to manage separate mod lists for each instance
  6. NEVER ADD MODS TO THE STEAM INSTALL VERSION AQGAIN. IT IS NOW ONLY FOR PATCHES AND UPDATES OR DOWNLOADING A DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE PROGRAM.

If you didn't get it from steam, then you will need to log into the store with your account and download and install the older version of KSP that they have available.

This presumes you have the additional 4-12GB of hard drive space for each instance you create. At a bare minimum, you should copy the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Saves  folder to another location. You can then alternate between the 1.11.2 and 1.12.x versions if you don't have the space to maintain separate instances. IF YOU DO THIS, then in addition to backing up the save game folder, you should create a separate save called "1.11.Edit" or something like that and then edit KK assets in that save game

A benefit to doing it this way is not needing to copy the KerbalKonstructs folder from one instance's GameData to another. Whichever approach you use, be sure to back up your Save game folder first, and the entire KSP directory if possible, so you have a baseline to return to. KSP will run just fine launching the KSP.exe file from a copied directory.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, when I press "Spawn new", the instance editor refuses to show up. I un-installed all of my mods, and only have KK and its dependencies. When I try to spawn LC-5, 6, or any other launch pads, it shows up, but the instance editor is nowhere to be found. I'd really appreciate some help.

3 hours ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

Hi, when I press "Spawn new", the instance editor refuses to show up. I un-installed all of my mods, and only have KK and its dependencies. When I try to spawn LC-5, 6, or any other launch pads, it shows up, but the instance editor is nowhere to be found. I'd really appreciate some help.

Read the last 2 pages of this thread if you are using KSP 1.12.1 because this iteration borked it.

Remove the main program of KK, the dll  s and the config file. Put your New instances folder and any statics you have or created in an new folder you have named within the GameData folder so you don't lose your work. Then install a new instance from your original installation files. KK will find your instances and statics as long as they are within the GameData sub folders structure. This should get rid of what ever is corrupting your editor. If this doesn't do it then downgrade to KSP 1.10.1 (where everything works right) and put a new instance in it, just copy across your New instances folder and statics from the other. Just don't have doubles of the same statics config files.

3 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Remove the main program of KK, the dll  s and the config file. Put your New instances folder and any statics you have or created in an new folder you have named within the GameData folder so you don't lose your work. Then install a new instance from your original installation files. KK will find your instances and statics as long as they are within the GameData sub folders structure. This should get rid of what ever is corrupting your editor. If this doesn't do it then downgrade to KSP 1.10.1 (where everything works right) and put a new instance in it, just copy across your New instances folder and statics from the other. Just don't have doubles of the same statics config files.

So I remove the KK dll, put the new instances folder into my main game data, and re-install the KK dll basically? I'm not great with this kind of stuff, so I'm a bit confused.

Just now, DaBaby Kerman said:

So I remove the KK dll, put the new instances folder into my main game data, and re-install the KK dll basically? I'm not great with this kind of stuff, so I'm a bit confused.

KSP has a GameData folder. Anything within that folder gets read by either Module Manager or custom programs like KK (not to metion KSP itself). So if you create a new folder within GameData. Lets call it  BackupKK   .  Within this new folder Put the  NewInstances folder found here

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalKonstructs\NewInstances  and any statics that do not come as part of the original free statics found in here.

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalKonstructs\FreeStatics   . This will make sure you don't lose anything you have built. The new KK you install can find any config file within GameData that matches it's syntax set up. Then completely delete the old KK folder. Install a new one from an installation you got or go to spacedock and get the last iteration to do the same. This should remove whatever the conflict is as The New instances and statics config files shouldn't affect the editor coming up.

39 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

KSP has a GameData folder. Anything within that folder gets read by either Module Manager or custom programs like KK (not to metion KSP itself). So if you create a new folder within GameData. Lets call it  BackupKK   .  Within this new folder Put the  NewInstances folder found here

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalKonstructs\NewInstances  and any statics that do not come as part of the original free statics found in here.

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalKonstructs\FreeStatics   . This will make sure you don't lose anything you have built. The new KK you install can find any config file within GameData that matches it's syntax set up. Then completely delete the old KK folder. Install a new one from an installation you got or go to spacedock and get the last iteration to do the same. This should remove whatever the conflict is as The New instances and statics config files shouldn't affect the editor coming up.

Hmm, it didn't seem to work. The Instance Editor just won't pop up. Anything else I can do before I just give up?

5 hours ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

Hmm, it didn't seem to work. The Instance Editor just won't pop up. Anything else I can do before I just give up?

You would need to write out in a notepad program, exactly what steps you took in what order and then paste it in to your reply here, can't know for sure if you accidentally changed or skipped a step. Otherwise try it in 1.10.1 to see if it is a KSP version problem.

CKAN reports version 1.8.2.1. However, during installation, an error is displayed with an object in the directory KerbalKonstructs/Freestatics/SoundCube. On GitHub and Shacedock, the old versions are 1.8.1.15. And there are no messages on the forum either.

CKAN error?

2 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

CKAN reports version 1.8.2.1. However, during installation, an error is displayed with an object in the directory KerbalKonstructs/Freestatics/SoundCube. On GitHub and Shacedock, the old versions are 1.8.1.15. And there are no messages on the forum either.

CKAN error?

There is indeed a message on the forum. ;)

3 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

CKAN error?

Yeah, I reported this "issue" to CKAN just to realize 5 min later that the mod is now actually maintained by the KSP-RO team :D

I guess it will either get split and gets his own mod entry in CKAN or at least the metadata should be updated soon.

• 4 weeks later...