What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Today I learned that PHP can send emails really easily without having an email server set up.  My boss is thrilled that the service order system I built will soon be able to automatically send emails whenever we ship their stuff.  Which means a few more days of on-clock coding for me!  Wheee!

Today I realised that in the AirBnB I've been staying in for the last fortnight, if I swing the front door wide open it hits the light switch and turns the hall light off.  Saves me at least a second in the mornings :D

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.”

Anyone who complains about airliner noise ought to hear what the engines sound like without all the sound-mitigation bits. :rolleyes:

I was in the Air Cadets many years ago and on a visit to a base got to watch an engine test on a Jaguar, standing about 20 feet from an aircraft on full reheat, while wearing earplugs and ear defenders you could feel it vibrating your chest more than hear it.   :D

Edited by RizzoTheRat

Wife told me of two stupid patients today...

One, the doctor's office is NOT inside a McDonald's, nor is it in a Circle K convenience store (patient called to ask that).

Two, the enema isn't to drink.

Remember this when you see people who want to increase voter participation.

On 23/01/2018 at 9:07 PM, adsii1970 said:

Same here - there are things we have that would probably pass as "antique." I still have a portable 3.5 floppy drive (and discs for it) and even a ZipDrive (I still have SPSS data files from graduate school on one of the discs). I also recently threw away a shoebox full of 5.25 floppy discs, some were still in their plastic wrap...

history is useless throw YstoryAway you'll never somethings from weird store-E ^^ ((awkward)) sorry @TheSaint just poking arround because why not ^^ sup'(s) btw

21 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

It was a very Superb Owl.

Apparently this has been a very good Superb Owl for Phily-Del Fia.

Why is it in Mini-sota though? Why not someplace like.... Philly?

9 hours ago, qzgy said:

The real question is why didn't they delay the whole deal by about 20 minutes? The ISS would have been able to see both the halftime show and the end-of-game fireworks.

58 minutes ago, cubinator said:

The real question is why didn't they delay the whole deal by about 20 minutes? The ISS would have been able to see both the halftime show and the end-of-game fireworks.

TV slot times, probably.

11 hours ago, qzgy said:

The NFL has a bidding process to host the Super Bowl, kind of like the Olympics has. The award takes place years before the actual game takes place, so they have no idea who will be playing in the game when they award it. There's a whole list of requirements for the infrastructure that needs to be in place to support the game, such as a minimum stadium size, minimum number of hotel rooms within a certain number of miles of the stadium, minimum number of parking spaces, security requirements, etc. Only a certain number of stadiums in the league meet the requirements, and the Super Bowl tends to just rotate between them.

2 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

The NFL has a bidding process to host the Super Bowl, kind of like the Olympics has. The award takes place years before the actual game takes place, so they have no idea who will be playing in the game when they award it. There's a whole list of requirements for the infrastructure that needs to be in place to support the game, such as a minimum stadium size, minimum number of hotel rooms within a certain number of miles of the stadium, minimum number of parking spaces, security requirements, etc. Only a certain number of stadiums in the league meet the requirements, and the Super Bowl tends to just rotate between them.

Yup, I'm just north of Tampa, and we're already scheduled to host it in 2021.

13 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Just saw the ISS consciously for the first time, and then twice in a row. Was pretty amazing.

I've shown it to a cousin once in a rural area, at around 4am. The thing passed directly overhead, and brighter than Venus! I've managed to see two consecutive passes too, once, near the Eastern horizon, the the Western one hour and a half later. So nice :)

Edited by monstah

11 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Just saw the ISS consciously for the first time, and then twice in a row. Was pretty amazing.

I saw it once a few months ago. It looked like a really big and uneven star at first, and I actually thought it was some sort of UFO. I took some super zoomed in pictures of it and then I saw the shape, and I was like, "Wait a minute, that's the ISS!"

It was a nice feeling of surprise :) Good to know that you also saw it :D

That should be on everyone's bucket list. "See the ISS at least once."

2 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

I saw it once a few months ago. It looked like a really big and uneven star at first, and I actually thought it was some sort of UFO. I took some super zoomed in pictures of it and then I saw the shape, and I was like, "Wait a minute, that's the ISS!"

It was a nice feeling of surprise :) Good to know that you also saw it :D

I find it fascinating that you spotted it by surprise, seems like you need a lot of luck for that. And all the while carrying a Camera capable of resolving its shape. Or were you doing some Astrophotography?

8 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Already done! 5 times, to be more precise.

However, ISS passes now are in the morning when I still sleep or just got up. I think it's understandable if I don't run outdoors "just" to see the ISS before doing anything else.

Edited by Delay

Just now, Canopus said:

I find it fascinating that you spotted it by surprise, seems like you need a lot of luck for that. And all the while carrying a Camera capable of resolving its shape. Or were you doing some Astrophotography?

I was actually walking my dog, at night. I forget why I was carrying the camera, but I saw the glint in the sky and took a picture after propping up the camera on a railing. It's one of those dinky little things, so the resolution wasn't great. I can't find the file at the moment, but it looked similar to this:Image result for iss from earth

Wrote a math exam today. I finished around 20 min early as usual, so I decided to generalize my integral for the volume of a pyramid to be independent of starting and ending "location". In other words, you can now calculate more than "just a pyramid".

Spoiler

I ended up with the following equation:

V=a^2/h^2*(z^3-y^3/3)

where V is the volume, a^2 is the base area, h is the height of the entire pyramid and z and y being the end and beginning of the integral.

Aside from that I also decided to write down 24 random integers and sort them using LSD Radix Sort, just for fun...

And I still had 2 minutes until the end of the lesson!

One of the teachers was doing weird stuff during lunchtime. He was doing some sort of peekaboo game. It was hilarious! 

The teacher is seen negatively by most students and filming it would be considered bullying, so we didn't do that.