What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

It's civil twilight right now, I guess (the sky is still somewhat blue). There's a really bright object roughly to the west of me and I don't know what it is. It's much brightter than any of the stars visible right now and it isn't moving, perhaps a satellite?

6 minutes ago, Delay said:

It's civil twilight right now, I guess (the sky is still somewhat blue). There's a really bright object roughly to the west of me and I don't know what it is. It's much brightter than any of the stars visible right now and it isn't moving, perhaps a satellite?

Venus

This weekend I did a little work on the truck. I replaced the:

• Upper ball joints,
  • Front brake pads,
  • Sway bar links and bushings, and,
  • The steering rack and tie rod ends.

The truck has over 220,000 miles on it, and all this stuff (except the brake pads) was original, so it was all showing obvious wear. The steering rack had a nice fluid weep going, the inner tie rods were very floppy. It was time. Now the only things left on my "Wearing Out" list are the body mount bushings and the driveshaft u-joints. After that it should all be routine maintenance and break-fix work for the rest of the life of the truck.

So, a while back we got our piano tuned, but the guy broke a string and came back during the second round of tuning to replace it and gave me a little tuning tool just to adjust that new string.

...Which escalated into me being asked to tune the new coffee shop's old piano. I'm not really qualified to do this, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing... But then again, if I completely fail you probably won't notice the difference because it was pretty bad to begin with. I did the first round of tuning on the middle octave, and it sounds pretty good, so hopefully my luck will continue... I hope I don't break any of the strings, though, then we'd most likely have to call in a professional anyway, who could also tune it, negating the purpose of having me work on it.

Wish me luck, I guess!

On 4/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, adsii1970 said:

hehehe, something like that. I am now down to drinking one cup of coffee a day...

Today was my first day caffeine free.  Made through better than I thought.

364 more to go before I print myself a 1 year chip.

Just now, Geonovast said:

Today was my first day caffeine free.  Made through better than I thought.

364 more to go before I print myself a 1 year chip. 

Congrats!

I am not giving up caffeine totally. You are a better man than I am...

But I am down to one cup of coffee, no sodas, and about 64oz (about 1.89 liters) of unsweetened Community Tea a day... :D

There was a little situation in the bus I took home today. Basically, every Friday, instead of biking home from school, I take the bus because I'm not in my school, but in a different one. I can't bike there in a few minutes, easiest solution is taking the bus both to get there and to get home from there.

Anyways; unlike other bus lines (which, funnily enough, have the same number) this one isn't "dedicated" to that school. So it isn't just filled with students from there (Infact, me and someone else are the only ones, and the bus is pretty empty anyways), but also young children. And they caused... a bit of trouble in the back. So much trouble infact that the driver stopped and said something along the lines of "If you don't stop that now I'm going to throw one of you out the bus!".

And that got me thinking. How would I have reacted to such a statement in their place? Probably I would have been scared, what if he actually throws me out? But of course, I'm older now! I know what his real intention is. He isn't the "evil", unfair bus driver who thinks it's funny to throw someone out or embarrass children, or who would actually even sincerely think about doing that. He just wants it to be quiet and calm in his bus, in his workplace. He's just doing his job.

This made me realize that I have, actually, grown up a lot. There is a huge difference between the "me" from 8 years (+-2 years or so) ago and the "me" I am today.

I've changed a lot since then. My appearance, my opinions, how much I know. The jobs I wanted to do so badly as a child. The goals I want to accomplish in life. So much is different now that I wasn't aware of before.

So, to what extent am I... myself, then? Aside from the memories of having done certain things (or not having done certain things) I have nothing in common with my past self. I am basically a completely different person now. With a different personality, different tastes, different likes, different dislikes, different... everything. And I'm not sure what the future holds for me. Who knows if the goals I pursue now will also be pursued by who I will be 2 or 3 years from now? How much will I have changed then?

Wow. And all of these thoughts on a bus. All this because of some children I don't know and probably won't see ever again, ever, in my life. But I don't regret having thought about this. It's good to lift this weight sometimes.

3 hours ago, Delay said:

So, to what extent am I... myself, then? Aside from the memories of having done certain things (or not having done certain things) I have nothing in common with my past self. I am basically a completely different person now. With a different personality, different tastes, different likes, different dislikes, different... everything. And I'm not sure what the future holds for me. Who knows if the goals I pursue now will also be pursued by who I will be 2 or 3 years from now? How much will I have changed then?

I came up with a nice conclusion to a similar problem regarding AI, but I can't remember what it was. Anyways, most of the atoms that were in you at that time are probably somewhere else now anyways, too. If that helps... :P 

My best friend got forced by her mom to take this tutoring online video thing cause her grades have been dropping ever since she broke up with her ex, however, the guy teaching it IS HER EX!!!!! Her mom never knew about the guy cause she hid it from her the whole time... :0.0:

Well, we've have now had her majesty Ms. Love-Bug for exactly 9 months...

.... yeah, more like she's owned me for the last 9 months... :rolleyes:

rRZkaBh.jpg

I've had cats all my life, but never one like this little fireball... lol. She is insanely playful, and bounces when she runs... But she's also super-affectionate... far, far beyond any cat I've ever come across. I'm not kidding, she is never, ever, more than 5-6 feet from me, and follows me wherever I go in the house. And she sleeps curled up next to me every night.

Now I know why people want rag-dolls so bad... Love-Bug is the funniest cat ever!

Edited by Just Jim

Not today, but Friday a little squirrel got into some electrical wiring and a transformer across the street exploded... Power was out for that section of town for several hours, and as a result we couldn't finish our NWEA tests.

I came up with a cool joke, though - We must be in a Michael Bay movie - because all of the Transformers are exploding!

On 4/30/2018 at 6:18 PM, TheSaint said:

This weekend I did a little work on the truck. I replaced the:

• Upper ball joints,
  • Front brake pads,
  • Sway bar links and bushings, and,
  • The steering rack and tie rod ends.

The truck has over 220,000 miles on it, and all this stuff (except the brake pads) was original, so it was all showing obvious wear. The steering rack had a nice fluid weep going, the inner tie rods were very floppy. It was time. Now the only things left on my "Wearing Out" list are the body mount bushings and the driveshaft u-joints. After that it should all be routine maintenance and break-fix work for the rest of the life of the truck.

I didn't understand a single word you just typed. Except for 'The'.

18 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

LOL. What do they teach in schools these days?

At least for me microbiology. And how to do cell culturing and what not.

For many out there, this will have no meaning...

But for those out there who are out there on this forum who know me and the job I have...

I have now completed all three post-grade evaluations!!

This means I can take tomorrow completely off and catch up on forum reading, playing with my "pet" Kermen, and maybe even another chapter this week! :D

In a math class earlier we did the math on how to do the perfect dab.

For a grade. 

Each arm should be a right triangle with the hypotenuse being the invisible line from the spine to the hand on the outstretched arm and from the top neck vertebrae to the elbow on the bent arm. I took a picture but I don't use imgur so I can't show it here, mabye I can put it on steam or something later.

EDIT: found the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/paul-pogbas-trademark-dab-celebration-is-being-used-to-teach-children-math-111516%3famp=true

And the bent arm is not a right triangle.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

23 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Currently in a one month training for an international math conpetition. Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Anyways, went to get a new sketchbook today. This time i got an A5 sized one instead of an A4 sized one. So i can carry it around easier, and i don't have to carry my bigger bag around wherever i go.

I also went to McDonalds, surpisingly cheap. I can grab a small coke and a hamburger for €2.10, wich is not a bad price. I think i found myself a new Friday meal! Im out at 12:20 on Friday too, so when i go to McDonalds, it should be relatively calm.

My Previous Friday meal was a Spicy Chicken Panini and a Regular can of coke, wich cost €3.70 in total, and i usually had another €1.- vending machine snack with that. I used to have a 2 hour break, in school that i used to spend time with friends, but because if a schedule change, that is not happending no more.

16 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I can grab a small coke and a hamburger for €2.10, wich is not a bad price.

If I conserve, I can get three meals out of that XD (obviously not in NL !)

On 5/7/2018 at 9:38 PM, Atlas2342 said:

Currently in a one month training for an international math conpetition. Wish me luck!

Oh wow ! Have fun, I guess ! (meeting people is fun sometimes.)

So I take the bus to school every day, and today there was this one guy standing in the middle of an intersection doing.....well....

He had a big belly, for starters, and was wearing nothing above the waist aside from an unzipped leather jacket, which gave all us passersby a full view of his hairy chest and....agh. Basically, he would stand in the middle of the intersection and run up to as many cars as he could, slam his palms against their windows, and give the drivers both middle fingers.

Then he'd run back to the middle of the intersection, look around for a bit, and run after another car, all whilst giving them the middle finger. He didn't even shout or anything.

It was certainly something new, lol...

And hey, he got exercise at least. Not sure if anyone called the police, though someone probably did in the end :D