What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

On 6/4/2018 at 8:31 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

FINALLY got my 1990 Honda Civic back together, after three months of very part-time working on it. :D 

Aaaand all-important test drive has demonstrated that, not only have I fixed the issues caused by the curbstrike that sidelined my car, I've fixed at least three other problems as well, all related to the transmission and drivetrain.

Huzzah for good news!

Obligatory bad news: Exhaust system is now leaking from somewhere near the catalytic converter.

*sigh*

"Fix one problem, two more shall take its place. Hail maintenance." :P

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Aaaand all-important test drive has demonstrated that, not only have I fixed the issues caused by the curbstrike that sidelined my car, I've fixed at least three other problems as well, all related to the transmission and drivetrain.

Huzzah for good news!

Obligatory bad news: Exhaust system is now leaking from somewhere near the catalytic converter.

*sigh*

"Fix one problem, two more shall take its place. Hail maintenance." :P

Hey nice! Exhaust leakage doesn't sound as bad is transmission and drive train issues. So.... I would call that a victory. Literally zero car maintenance experience, but maybe redoing the connections or just checking the exhaust line helps solve the problems? Might be a crack or something though... IDK. Again, zero experience.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Hey nice! Exhaust leakage doesn't sound as bad is transmission and drive train issues. So.... I would call that a victory. Literally zero car maintenance experience, but maybe redoing the connections or just checking the exhaust line helps solve the problems? Might be a crack or something though... IDK. Again, zero experience.

My best guess is that it's the gasket that seals the aft end of the catalytic converter. That's where I'm getting a definite flow of hot gas at idle that shouldn't be there. Once I get a new gasket, it'll be short work to get the car lifted up and disassemble the junction in question.

The dashboard lights also don't work, but that's been the case for several years now, and the last time I tried to remove the dash, I damn near broke it in half putting it back in. Plastics don't take kindly to 20+ years of exposure to sunlight. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

This happened today. Not something you really expect to see on your way to work.

Thankfully no one was injured.

wvmmIEN.jpg

That must have smelled AMAZING!

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Sadly KSP doesn’t seem to interest my friends :(

Some of my friends play KSP but most of them lost interest in it because it was too hard.

Spaceflight simulator is simpler and easier to play with (and its free), so maybe you could convince them to play that, but you can also just leave them alone, wich might be the best option.

Just now, NSEP said:

Some of my friends play KSP but most of them lost interest in it because it was too hard.

Spaceflight simulator is simpler and easier to play with (and its free), so maybe you could convince them to play that, but you can also just leave them alone, wich might be the best option.

My friends aren’t really into space at all, so an attempt to interest them with a space game probably won’t work.

We can always try though :)

On 5/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

If anyone here invents an excuse to come to Iowa... to see the corn or anything.... wait... nevermind Middle of Nowhere.

Iowa, huh.

Do you consider Indiana better or worse?

1 minute ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Iowa, huh.

Do you consider Indiana better or worse?

More interesting, but slightly worse IMO, most of the experience with Indiana I have is watching my dad drive through Gary, I think we almost died a few times.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

More interesting, but slightly worse IMO, most of the experience with Indiana I have is watching my dad drive through Gary, I think we almost died a few times.

yea...

I live in Evansville, so I avoid that stuff

On 6/5/2018 at 8:44 PM, Mjp1050 said:

This happened today.

Oh!... the new flame broiled burgers!

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Sadly KSP doesn’t seem to interest my friends :(

That's a sure sign you need a better class of friends! ;):D

Today I went for a hearing test. The guy said to push the button every time I heard a tone in my ears. I sat there pushing it constantly. He thought I was jerking him around... I reminded him, I have tinnitus.

We tried a different test after that.

Today was the last day of a local funfair. We (my parents and I, because I don't really have anyone else) stayed there from 8pm to 12am.

When it officially ended at 12am there was a funeral for the funfair, something I got to see for the first time this year. After that there were some fireworks.

It was a pretty nice night! 359 days until it happens again!

Well, I'm close enough to the arctic circle such that it is still twilight, so...

Edited by Delay

Went with a friend to the Interplanetary Festival yesterday for a little while in the afternoon, put on by the Santa Fe Institute.

Saw Neal Stephenson, and got my copy of Seveneves signed, then we went out for drinks and tacos (al pastor, at the Coyote Cantina on the roof). All told, a nice evening. The festival was sorta meh, mostly because it was aimed at people who don't really know anything about space. The exhibitor booths were partially OK stuff for that audience, partially typical Snata Fe goofiness, combined with a little too much Roswell for my taste. Maybe some day they can have technical sessions for people who speak math.