What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

7 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Technically it's a Revolutionary War reenactment.

Ah yes, the Uprising of the British Colonies in North America.

Always great fun!

11 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Technically it's a Revolutionary War reenactment.

No.  I mean Civil War1.

Parliament's been slighting castles, and I think I heard someone decapitating a king.  :D

2 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Ah yes, the Uprising of the British Colonies in North America.

Wait.  What are you Canadians getting up to now?

1(Civil War was the first thing that came into my head, since I've been watching a documentary that involved the Civil War.  No, not that one, I mean another one.)

Edited by razark

45 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

The guy just behind us had some seriously hardcore artillery!!!

Only the one?  I've had at least four distinct displays like that within two blocks.  Amid many smaller ones.

Edited by razark

10 minutes ago, razark said:

Only the one?  I've had at least four distinct displays like that within two blocks.  Amid many smaller ones.

Oh, there were several impressive displays going. But this one was close enough to get some really, really good pics without leaving my back yard. ;)

Edited by Just Jim

I'm in the DC area for the summer, and I ended up watching the big DC fireworks show from Arlington. The prevailing wind is blowing westward here, and so many fireworks got set off that the air started smelling like burnt powder from where I was watching, nearly two miles away from the Washington Monument. Heck of a show.

Just now, Just Jim said:

Oh, there were several impressive displays going. But this one was close enough to get some really, really good pics without leaving my back yard. ;)

Ah.  I did have some trees in the way, so I didn't have a completely clear view like you did.

Couldn't see anything myself, yard is surrounded by trees. But I sure can hear it. It's been a constant low rumbling in the distance for the last few hours, like someone said, sounds like a war zone. Taking writing notes. :D

So of course, I had to return fire:

Spoiler

And I discovered this exists:

YsC4vK5.gif

Yes, that's a chicken that breathes fire and farts smoke... into a balloon... <_<

Second launch attempt went rather Kerbal...

VphNi2p.gif

...one might say the launch pad suffered a... catastrophic failure...-_-

...leading to one minor casualty due to broken glass... :unsure:

Well, we had our fireworks-less 4th of July yesterday. Couldn't even barbecue because of the fire restrictions. (Although amusingly all of the vendors selling BBQ and burgers at the city-sponsored 4th event were mysteriously exempted.) Went over to a friend's house and ran a session of our ongoing GURPS campaign. The players fought their way through a ruined fortress infested with Orcs. It was a late night, but everyone had fun.

So, this did not happen today, but yesterday. I was sleeping and dreaming of a million kittens meowing at the same time, you know, that high pitched meowing that kittens make? I gradually woke up from my sleep and realized that those meowing kittens were not in my head! I followed the sound and found this!!

gZMdQi9.jpg

I am taking care of them. They are not allowed into the house,but I feed and water them regularly! The black one (Tuxedo) is very, very shy!! And the other one, whom I call Bushido, is a bit more adventurous.... :) The mother is very friendly, and I think wants access into my house for a safer haven :D

2 hours ago, Sorabh said:

The mother is very friendly, and I think wants access into my house for a safer haven :D

Why not give it then? You're already halfway to being adopted by the cats adopting the cats. 

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Why not give it then? You're already halfway to being adopted by the cats adopting the cats. 

Oh I would, if I could. At one point, there were about 5 cats in my home! I have raised about 8 cats from kittenhood to tough cats :D They leave the nest thereafter, leaving behind memories and cat hair! And my family don't want anymore cat hair, anywhere!

Also, there is one more kitten whom I found about minutes after posting the pic, the one I call 'Kaido'. I though Bushido was tough, but compared to Kaido, he is, at best, a marshmallow :D.

If someone observes the three of them co-ordinating an attack on a foe (A twig that I wave about near them) he/she can understand why the most prominent predators in this world are felines. :)

Edited by Sorabh

13 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

Oh I would, if I could. At one point, there were about 5 cats in my home! I have raised about 8 cats from kittenhood to tough cats :D They leave the nest thereafter, leaving behind memories and cat hair! And my family don't want anymore cat hair, anywhere!

Also, there is one more kitten whom I found about minutes after posting the pic, the one I call 'Kaido'. I though Bushido was tough, but compared to Kaido, he is, at best, a marshmallow :D.

If someone observes the three of them co-ordinating an attack on a foe (A twig that I wave about near them) he/she can understand why the most prominent predators in this world are felines. :)

I hear that... especially the cat hair part... lol. I have three right now, including her majesty;

rRZkaBh.jpg

She's our newest, and if you've ever seen this "Swiffer" commercial... yeah, this is my cat!!!

Anyway, I totally understand what you're saying, I absolutely love cats, but the last thing I would want to find first thing in the morning is a mom and kittens on my doorstep.

34 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Her Majesty

Woah, Her Majesty looks...Majestic!!

People don't generally keep cats as pets where I live, its mostly dogs, with the occasional hamster,rabbit or a duck :D So all cats that I have raised have been feral/ semiferal, none as majestic as yours!! Since my house is supposedly on an Inter-KittyState Highway or something, we find a lost hungry kitten every now and then...

Edited by Sorabh

21 hours ago, Sorabh said:

Woah, Her Majesty looks...Majestic!!

People don't generally keep cats as pets where I live, its mostly dogs, with the occasional hamster,rabbit or a duck :D So all cats that I have raised have been feral/ semiferal, none as majestic as yours!! Since my house is supposedly on an Inter-KittyState Highway or something, we find a lost hungry kitten every now and then...

Mine are also all rescues. Believe it or not, that adorable little fur-ball was heading to a shelter if the owners couldn't find her a new home... and I couldn't let that happen. So we took her in... and she promptly took over... how could I resist this goofy face???

0CpblCa.jpg

Today i used a credit card for the first time, im going to Berlin tomorrow, and they told us that carrying around cash isn't the best idea, so i had to get my hands on a credit card.

I decided to try it out at McDonalds, so i went there by bike, and ordered a Cheeseburger and a small Coke using that big touchscreen thing. When the things were ready, i noticed the cup for my coke wasn't inside a bag, so i asked the employee for a larger bag, and he comes up with a holder :confused:. I decided not to ask again. At that moment i also realized i left the credit card in the touchscreen thing, so quickly pulled it back out again, and at that moment everyone was looking at me weird because they probably thought i stole it.

Anyways, i went back to my bicycle to go back home, and now we have a little bit of a problem, see i have this thing on the front of my bike were a basket is supposed to be fitted on, but i don't have a basket.

0030450_blb-frontier-rack-silver_1.jpeg

I tried it with bags before, and bags, even the small ones lock right into place without falling, now however, i have a cup of coke and a holder that i have to put on there, that will make everything unstable. So i just put it on there and just went for driving carefully instead of finding a better position for it. And yes, shortly after, i dropped my cup of coke, in the middle of the road while driving. So what do i do now? Do i leave it there and forget about, and risk getting it thrown at me by one of those diehard anti-litter pals, or just run towards it and put it in the trash can like an idiot? Well, i decided i would put it in the trash like an idiot, you know, doing good things to save the world i geuss.

After that i went home and ate my burger while reading AtomicRockets.

The lesson of today: You can just cycle with one hand idiot, oh and don't for get your card!

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Today i used a credit card for the first time, im going to Berlin tomorrow, and they told us that carrying around cash isn't the best idea, so i had to get my hands on a credit card.

I decided to try it out at McDonalds, so i went there by bike, and ordered a Cheeseburger and a small Coke using that big touchscreen thing. When the things were ready, i noticed the cup for my coke wasn't inside a bag, so i asked the employee for a larger bag, and he comes up with a holder :confused:. I decided not to ask again. At that moment i also realized i left the credit card in the touchscreen thing, so quickly pulled it back out again, and at that moment everyone was looking at me weird because they probably thought i stole it.

Anyways, i went back to my bicycle to go back home, and now we have a little bit of a problem, see i have this thing on the front of my bike were a basket is supposed to be fitted on, but i don't have a basket.

0030450_blb-frontier-rack-silver_1.jpeg

I tried it with bags before, and bags, even the small ones lock right into place without falling, now however, i have a cup of coke and a holder that i have to put on there, that will make everything unstable. So i just put it on there and just went for driving carefully instead of finding a better position for it. And yes, shortly after, i dropped my cup of coke, in the middle of the road while driving. So what do i do now? Do i leave it there and forget about, and risk getting it thrown at me by one of those diehard anti-litter pals, or just run towards it and put it in the trash can like an idiot? Well, i decided i would put it in the trash like an idiot, you know, doing good things to save the world i geuss.

After that i went home and ate my burger while reading AtomicRockets.

The lesson of today: You can just cycle with one hand idiot, oh and don't for get your card!

The good people who invented cup holders did so for a very good reason. There are even some for bikes.

Cup holders. The greatest invention. Well, that and sliced bread.

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

The good people who invented cup holders did so for a very good reason. There are even some for bikes.

Cup holders. The greatest invention. Well, that and sliced bread.

Even surpassing like... The wheel? And also that newfangled iPhone thingy? 

Oh and what about a pointed stick?