sarbian

[1.3.0] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.6.1] [27 May 2017]

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So for a long time now I'm used to an issue that I thought had to do with Solver Engines in an RO install - but it's MJ.

In my 1.3 install without RO etc. I got dev #708 and just started a sandbox game to do some tests.

To be able to throttle up a jet engine on the runway I HAVE TO open MJ Utilities and set "Keep limited throttle over 100%" ...

I think this should be fixed some way.


Edit:

OMG darn - I also have to toggle off "Prevent jet flameout" to actually prevent jet flameout - when it's toggled on the intake is closed ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@winged is he using it an RO/RSS game or is he playing a standard game if he is using it in a standard game wouldnt the scale be all wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Loren Pechtel @rmaine This is happening, when you switch from flight view to map view and maybe vice versa. I learned not to switch from flight view, when MJ is executing a maneuver. It's easy fix after all :wink:

Edited by maja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, maja said:

@Loren Pechtel @rmaine This is happening, when you switch from flight view to map view and maybe vice versa. I learned not to switch from flight view, when MJ is executing a maneuver. It's easy fix after all :wink:

That doesn't match my experience. Heck, I'm usually already in map view and stay there when I do MJ-related stuff. I'll take another look at the same scenario I described above to check. But this time, I'll stay in flight view until my circularization burn is almost done. Ok. Switch to map view. No quirk. Switch back to flight view. Still no quirk. Back to map view. Still ok. Focus on mun. Still ok. Set target to mun. Immediate zinger. It really seems to be the setting (or changing) target that does it - not just switching views.

I agree it's easy enough to avoid. I just have to practice being patient and avoid trying to work ahead until after any burn that is scheduled or underway is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rmaine said:

That doesn't match my experience. Heck, I'm usually already in map view and stay there when I do MJ-related stuff. I'll take another look at the same scenario I described above to check. But this time, I'll stay in flight view until my circularization burn is almost done. Ok. Switch to map view. No quirk. Switch back to flight view. Still no quirk. Back to map view. Still ok. Focus on mun. Still ok. Set target to mun. Immediate zinger. It really seems to be the setting (or changing) target that does it - not just switching views.

I agree it's easy enough to avoid. I just have to practice being patient and avoid trying to work ahead until after any burn that is scheduled or underway is done.

Interesting, because I got it during Hohmann transfer to the Mun, where the target was already set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, maja said:

Interesting, because I got it during Hohmann transfer to the Mun, where the target was already set.

Yeah. I can get it that way as well. Redid same thing as before, but let the circularization burn finish. Then start a Hohmann transfer to Mun. Again, while the transfer burn is underway, I can switch between map and flight view with no problem. But doing anything to the target setting seem to reset the burn timer. Wait til the burn is half done and unset Mun as target. Zing. Wait a bit more. Set it back as target. Zing again. Wait a bit and set Minmus as target. Zing. Set/unset/change target. Any fiddling with it at all seems to mess things up if I have a burn underway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

@winged is he using it an RO/RSS game or is he playing a standard game if he is using it in a standard game wouldnt the scale be all wrong 

Based on what I see on the pictures (page 23) he's using RO + Kerbin.

@Quarkz ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maja said:

@Loren Pechtel @rmaine This is happening, when you switch from flight view to map view and maybe vice versa. I learned not to switch from flight view, when MJ is executing a maneuver. It's easy fix after all :wink:

That is definitely not the case with what I've experienced.  I was in map view for the whole burn, didn't touch the controls although my mouse pointer was over the abort all nodes button as the burn neared completion.  The course line touched Minmus's SOI, it lost it's target and it reset the burn timer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@winged I think it would best if he did a clean install and chooses what he wants to play RO/RSS or standard KSP or both, many peeps have both going 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Loren Pechtel @rmaine There will be some common point, where all our experiences crosses. It's not that simple as switching target, but there is definitelly something out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, winged said:

Based on what I see on the pictures (page 23) he's using RO + Kerbin.

@Quarkz ?

I am using RO. I didn't say I did because the only mod that really changed the aerodynamics was FAR, which I stated I had installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey, I've got a few (what I think are) bugs here, and after hours of testing different things and trying to find help with Google, I've turned to just posting here.

So starting off, all of these bugs are related to Ascent Guidance.
When I launch, my rocket will start rolling left and right for seemingly no reason, over-rolling more and more each time, and will stop rolling (if it hasn't spun completely out of control at this point) at a very weird angle, I'm assuming because it's started the gravity turn.
If at this point my rocket isn't spiraling into a catastrophic failure due to not being wieldy enough for MechJeb to salvage the disaster, it will just continue on with with the gravity turn as per usual...
And them for some reason about 12-20km in the turn, MechJeb will start deviating from the navball guidance completely, which will cause my systems to overheat, and ofcourse MechJeb completely ignores "Prevent overheats", causing all my excrements to blow up.

I've tried launching 3 different rocket designs, all of them I've been able to launch into orbit manually, none of them using MechJeb.

Here is a (sorry for the length) gif of the whole situation.

http://recordit.co/p3Qw3x88o7

And a picture of my CoM, CoT, and Aerodynamics, along with a K.E.R. print-out.

http://prntscr.com/fjss4t

So is my game bugged, are my MechJeb settings wrong, or do I just suck at building rockets?

EDIT:  Here's a list of mods I'm using, if that helps.

http://i.imgur.com/72AVMkP.png

Edited by Legendgreat
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2017 at 1:22 AM, maja said:

@Loren Pechtel @rmaine There will be some common point, where all our experiences crosses. It's not that simple as switching target, but there is definitelly something out there.

One more data point:

My probe was in a 1000km orbit (nuke engine, that long a burn in low orbit is a bad idea) about Kerbin, burning for Duna.  Given my previous experience I was keeping an eye on the intercept so I didn't catch it for certain but I think I reconstructed it:

It appears that my orbit went through Minmus' SOI.  The orbit projection momentarily went wacky (like it tends to when your burn causes you to touch a SOI), the burn timer added about 250m/s to the burn and quit burning.  When I investigated I did not have a Minmus intercept but it looked close.  I set SAS to hold the position and burned manually--after about the remaining burn as originally set (not after the Minmus bit) I got an intercept with Duna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2017 at 0:18 PM, Legendgreat said:

So is my game bugged, are my MechJeb settings wrong, or do I just suck at building rockets?

Turn off the gimbals on your boosters to help with the rolling around at the start.  You have too much roll authority.

Then the biggest problem is that your gravity turn is too shallow.  You need to adjust to get a steeper ascent profile so that you gain more altitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to report a long-standing interaction problem between the MJ and RCS Build Aid mods...

oLBSbGb.png?1

i.e. a couple of MJ's windows (most notably Ascent Guidance) get really big with RCS BA installed as well. The long pieces of text in the MJ windows seem not to be wrapping. 

log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuuznm9e9aymxmc/output_log.txt?dl=0

What other information do I need to supply for this report?

Edited by Foxster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Foxster said:

Just to report a long-standing interaction problem between the MJ and RCS Build Aid mods...

 

i.e. a couple of MJ's windows (most notably Ascent Guidance) get really big with RCS BA installed as well. The long pieces of text in the MJ windows seem not to be wrapping. 

log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuuznm9e9aymxmc/output_log.txt?dl=0

What other information do I need to supply for this report?

I am quite certain that the problem is in RCS BA. A long time ago an other mod had the same problem. It modified the stock GUI skin without cloning it first, so it changed the UI of other mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sarbian said:

I am quite certain that the problem is in RCS BA. A long time ago an other mod had the same problem. It modified the stock GUI skin without cloning it first, so it changed the UI of other mods.

Thanks for the answer, Sarbian. I'll get in touch with that mod's author. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can't seem to find the pod in the VAB. it shows up in the tech tree, but not in the parts list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Sarbian,

Using MechJeb 2 v2.6.1 Build #710 (Dev), KSP 1.3.0 (x64 Windows), I have an issue concerning Landing Guidance module: sometimes, the distance between desired landing point and real, is enormous.

This is an example (Mun landing), difference is 219 kilometers. Just before deorbit burn, they're a normal plane change (very small burn).

Link to both logs + .craft + screen capture : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7ynf8h5eb1xmsdb/AABFhmiYWxI9V2XHd1H45-cQa?dl=0

Spacecraft is KerBus (homemade, Apollo-style), using stock + MechJeb2 AR202 cases (one mounted on each vessel) + optional DPAI (for named docking ports)

 

Thanks in advance.

 

EDIT: perhaps "HyperEdited" (lastest 1.5.4) "Apollo-style" vessels around the Mun first (directly, without KSC launch), prior landing, may be the culprit... After removing HyperEdit, doing a real flights, no issue found.

Edited by DomiKamu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MisterB0420 said:

i can't seem to find the pod in the VAB. it shows up in the tech tree, but not in the parts list

The MechJeb pod has been deprecated. The collision mesh needs updating to reflect changes to KSP: if you use it in flight then it will cause severe internal forces within your vessel leading to its destruction. Its creator is no longer active, and the original files used in its creation are no longer available, so it can't be fixed!

The MechJeb pod still exists within the MechJeb files so old vessels can be loaded into the VAB in order that the pod can be removed (which is why it appears in the tech tree), but the pod itself has been removed from the parts list so it can't be used by mistake.

The proper solution would be for some fine modeller to create a new one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, softweir said:

The MechJeb pod has been deprecated. The collision mesh needs updating to reflect changes to KSP: if you use it in flight then it will cause severe internal forces within your vessel leading to its destruction. Its creator is no longer active, and the original files used in its creation are no longer available, so it can't be fixed!

The MechJeb pod still exists within the MechJeb files so old vessels can be loaded into the VAB in order that the pod can be removed (which is why it appears in the tech tree), but the pod itself has been removed from the parts list so it can't be used by mistake.

The proper solution would be for some fine modeller to create a new one!

Can you please not spread misinformation 

Edit: uh the pod. Sorry, it is indeed deprecated but the problem lies with the feet/wheel hierarchy, not the coliders. It should not show up in the techtree however...

Edited by sarbian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @sarbian, I like your ground marker and path drawing code that you have for the landing predictions.

I would like to use it for the Trajectories mod, specifically, I would like to copy-paste the MechJeb2/MechJeb2/GLUtils.cs files. Would that be ok with you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sarbian said:

Can you please not spread misinformation 

Edit: uh the pod. Sorry, it is indeed deprecated but the problem lies with the feet/wheel hierarchy, not the coliders. It should not show up in the techtree however...

I am playing a career mode. The pod does show up in my tree but not in the VAB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Hi @sarbian, I like your ground marker and path drawing code that you have for the landing predictions.

I would like to use it for the Trajectories mod, specifically, I would like to copy-paste the MechJeb2/MechJeb2/GLUtils.cs files. Would that be ok with you?

Sure, no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now