Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

6 hours ago, TheSaint said:

So the marketing department at our college sent out an email telling everyone in the college that they are required to add the logo for the college's 50th anniversary celebration to their email signatures. Our number of mandatory flair pieces is now one.

This remind me when the marketing dep from the company I used to work distributed an internal note with the standard and mandatory email signature for every employee.  Almost 15 lines of graphics and text, it took almost 2/3 of the standard Outlook Mail Reader's window! :-D

Then some partners and even clients started to complain about not receiving some of our emails. The reason? Most of our mail communication were small paragraphs and a link to a repository or to a CMS (Content Management System - things like Plone), and then the signature was usually twice the size of the useful payload - and their anti-spam systems kicked in. =D

By some very weird reason, the Marketing refused to withdraw the damned signature - so everybody configured the Outlook to send plain text emails. The email was stored on the archive as HTML (with the signature), but only the text part was effectively sent - what kind of "solved" the problem. =D

So... Yeah. I feel your pain, bro. :-)

Edited by Lisias
better phrasing

In my previous company they once created a standard blank Word document to be used everywhere. It was ~10 MB and incompressible. 
Because it had a small logo in the page header. Scanned, full resolution, compressed, raster logo, ~10 MB.

Power went out... again... and now I'm perusing NewEgg contemplating $450 in UPS equipment...

And of course I was working on an Eve return vehicle (for a science container)

Edited by Geonovast

42 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

space telescope fear

That's a really special kind of phobia... 

Probably, they should name it uranophthalmophobia (uran + ophthalmo, sky + eye).

Happily, you didn't know about really terrible quazars right above your head.

Edited by kerbiloid

Where I live it's acceptable and perfectly normal to watch EF4 tornadoes from your porch (we do have the record for the biggest and most powerful tornadoes). This tornado season has been very uneventful, like twelve or so low- profile touchdowns made the news. Usually there's an EF5 every year at least.

This might sound like a crazy complaint but this is the heart of tornado- ville, america. Tornadoes ain't nothing to get excited about. There hasn't been any cool footage to watch.

EDIT: https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/2018-04-19-no-tornadoes-oklahoma-record-2018

Small explanation.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

For the second time in my life, I've not been informed that one of my grandmother's had her health take a drastic turn for the worse before passing away.
Really getting tired of not being told these things.

Hopefully it won't happen next tim... Oh.... ;.;

Just now, richfiles said:

For the second time in my life, I've not been informed that one of my grandmother's had her health take a drastic turn for the worse before passing away.
Really getting tired of not being told these things.

Aww, man. That sucks. I hope everything's alright for y'all.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Aww, man. That sucks. I hope everything's alright for y'all.

I does suck, but we've been expecting her time to come up... for a decade or two. She made it to 105, which by any standard, is an incredible run. She had a good life, and a large family (17 kids, an order of magnitude more grandkids and great grandkids), and even into her final years, still managed to live well. She only required moving into a nursing home two or three years ago! We were able to, between family and visiting professional care, allow her to live in her own home till well after her hundredth year. She has had developing dimensia in the final few years, but she always had more lucid days, where she'd still remember things just fine, often with merely a reminder at worst. She did have bad days, but they were sporadic.

All in all... She had a GREAT run, and definitely lived a full life... I can't complain about that! :)

Seeing as how this is a complaint thread, though... My buddy bought a bird, and recently upgraded it's cage to a much larger one. Birb is movin' on up!
He made the mistake of buying a cheap one from eBay... China's retail storefront. :rolleyes:

The cage is big, it's actually kinda nice... But they cheaped out on the number of cross supports for the wires, so they are super easy to flex sideways. It looks like it could be very dangerous if the bird tried to squeeze through. If it really tried, it could totally get it's head trapped. We decided to get some aluminum wire from the hardware store and loop it around every single bar, wherever there was a wide gap between crossmembers. It worked VERY well to reinforce the bars, and keep them from being able to be bent easily... But we're LOOPING EVERY BAR... I think he calculated there were over 400 loops... Feed the wire through the bars, fold it over the bar, draw it back through the other side of the bar, fold it over and then feed it around the next bar... So. Much. Work!

He regrets not spending the extra $40 for the brand name cage... :/

So do I! :huh:

And of course, while I was tormenting my fingers, fixing an "unfinished" birbcage, no one could be bothered to give me even that single, simple phone call... Not even a text... Why wait to the last second, when they knew this was inevitable for the past three days! I was informed this morning, and as I was getting ready, I got the second call. ;.;

I'll be okay. It is what it is. It hurts now, but that'll fade in time, and life will carry on.
Ironically... I'll probably end up drowning my sorrow in work, and finish that dumb cage for my friend... I'll probably drown my sorrows in something else too...

Edited by richfiles
or: "In a better place", with two entirely different meanings...

8 hours ago, richfiles said:

Actually, since my mom ended up being fostered/adopted, I had three sets of grandparents, all of which have passed now. Unfortunately, due to geography, I didn't know any of them to any great degree

On 5/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, TheSaint said:

So the marketing department at our college sent out an email telling everyone in the college that they are required to add the logo for the college's 50th anniversary celebration to their email signatures. Our number of mandatory flair pieces is now one.

Faculty? Or students as well? Are they hurting for funding or something?

14 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Faculty? Or students as well? Are they hurting for funding or something?

Faculty and staff. No funding worries, it's a public community college so when they need more money they just raise taxes (which, coincidentally, they just did a couple of weeks ago). If I had to guess I would say it's because the marketing director has an overly developed sense of importance and is reveling in the chance to tell everyone what to do for a change.

Slowly noticing that my CPU is going out of date. It can't even run Portal 2, which apparently needs 3 GHz to run, I have 2.13.

The problem with replacing CPUs is that I might as well just buy a new computer.

2 minutes ago, Delay said:

Slowly noticing that my CPU is going out of date. It can't even run Portal 2, which apparently needs 3 GHz to run, I have 2.13.

The problem with replacing CPUs is that I might as well just buy a new computer.

I've got a pretty low performance pc and it can run Portal 2...

Maybe something else is amiss?

Just now, Bill Phil said:

I'm looking at the minimum system requirements according to Steam:

• MINIMUM:
    • Prozessor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)

Yeah, but that lists a Pentium 4 or AMD64X2, which are old CPU's. I would think an early generation i3 or even a Core2Duo would trash one of those in mega(giga?tera?)flops.

Also bear in mind, that while my laptop has a 3rd gen i7 listed at 2.4GHz, it often turbo's up over 3.1GHz as needed (like when playing games)

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, Delay said:

I'm looking at the minimum system requirements according to Steam:

That's definitely not the actual minimum. Maybe for high quality graphics, but that's not really necessary.

28 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Also bear in mind, that while my laptop has a 3rd gen i7 listed at 2.4GHz, it often turbo's up over 3.1GHz as needed (like when playing games)

I've seen that happen myself: When loading a Portal map I made, which I occasionally begin, but as always never finish (that's a seperate complaint in and of itself) the CPU often shows values above 2.13, even 3 at times.

But I've always assumed that's a bad thing and should be avoided.

24 minutes ago, Delay said:

But I've always assumed that's a bad thing and should be avoided.

As long as your temps don't redline, I don't think it's a bad thing. I could cook an egg on my laptop during a WhackJob-class launch. Mind you, if your PC does redline, it'll throttle back and performance goes down the drain.

5 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Faculty and staff. No funding worries, it's a public community college so when they need more money they just raise taxes (which, coincidentally, they just did a couple of weeks ago). If I had to guess I would say it's because the marketing director has an overly developed sense of importance and is reveling in the chance to tell everyone what to do for a change.

And what if one makes a logo tatoo?

4 hours ago, Bill Phil said:
4 hours ago, Delay said:

Maybe something else is amiss?

>Welcome to Aperture Science, %visitor%!
>GLaDOS emulation mode on.
>Disclaimer: Insignificant loss of FPS is possible. 

My PC is from HP (It's an Omen PC), which does not allow BIOS over clocking and thus it's somewhat painful to try to get the software to overclock. That's my only complaint with the PC, it runs great otherwise.

Edited by Kernel Kraken
Autocorrect

On 5/21/2018 at 12:35 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

As long as your temps don't redline, I don't think it's a bad thing. I could cook an egg on my laptop during a WhackJob-class launch. Mind you, if your PC does redline, it'll throttle back and performance goes down the drain.

Being I bought this laptop just for KSP, that was one of the first things I noticed early on playing the game... its throttling performance to favor other things. If you go into the Advanced Power Settings, you can bypass all that crap. Also, I have my laptop sitting on a cooling pad which makes a world of difference. Opening it up and blowing out the dust-bunnies every now and then also helps. ^_^

7 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Being I bought this laptop just for KSP, that was one of the first things I noticed early on playing the game... its throttling performance to favor other things. If you go into the Advanced Power Settings, you can bypass all that crap. Also, I have my laptop sitting on a cooling pad which makes a world of difference. Opening it up and blowing out the dust-bunnies every now and then also helps. ^_^

Yes, dust buildup is the first thing I check when I get throttled. On the flip side, sticking a laptop on top of an air conditioning vent during those Whackjobian launches works wonders. One of these days I’m going to build a little laptop desk connected to the AC vent. 

Today I'll actually complain about something. The VA (Veterans Administration). My 'local' VA (about 30 minutes away) has decided to send me to the 'main' VA in up in northern NJ for a procedure. The procedure, so I'm told, will take all of 10 minutes... a CT scan, no contrast. It's a 2 hour drive from here to get there..... to spend 10 minutes on a table..... to spend another 2 hours drive back home. :confused:

The kicker is that there's 3 different imaging centers within 15 minutes from home here that I could walk to if I had to. :mad: