Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Just now, kerbiloid said:

and study in school.

Because why study when robots do the work?

Philosophically, there is more reason to study than work. For me, personally, I have a love of knowledge and learning. Even if I had robots or automation to do the work that I do, I probably would still strive to learn something new. And to be quite honest, there are a few things where the human touch is needed more than computer-generated efficiency.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Philosophically, there is more reason to study than work. For me, personally, I have a love of knowledge and learning. Even if I had robots or automation to do the work that I do, I probably would still strive to learn something new. And to be quite honest, there are a few things where the human touch is needed more than computer-generated efficiency.

That's absolutely right...

... for a small  part of a planet population. :(

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, richfiles said:

At my job, they've been posting "TEAM means: Together Everyone Achieves More!" up on the digital board...
I point out that "Together Everyone Achieves More means: There IS an I in TEAM!" :sticktongue:

I take the XKCD approach to to people who enjoy making up meanings for "team".

i_in_team.png

If one can memorise the response, I find that it shuts people up pretty quick. Usually they scuttle off to look up "orthography".

48 minutes ago, steve_v said:

If one can memorise the response, I find that it shuts people up pretty quick. Usually they scuttle off to look up "orthography".

*lol* ... oh, "meaning" could be refined with "semantics" :-)

I had a flat tire today. Drove over a sharp edge where a piece of asphalt had broken off. Was cutting a little through a narrow curve at 50km/h. The tire had a 5cm cut because it came between rim and asphalt. Fortunately the rim wasn't damaged. And i am glad that i had bought the extra "spare tire, for short distances, limited to 60km/h" when i bought the car. Otherwise that would have been expensive, calling a tow truck 7km to town ...

My last flat tire was ... emmm, was .... aa ... in another millennium, that's sure.

Edited by Green Baron

56 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

i am glad that i had bought the extra "spare tire, for short distances, limited to 60km/h" when i bought the car.

Do you mean to say cars don't come with a proper spare wheel any more? Not even the not-proper "space saver" spare wheel as standard?
Jeez, I usually run with 2 full size spares, one on the bonnet and one on the back door. Boggles the mind that anyone would drive anywhere without a spare, unless they have shares in a towage company of course.

12 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Do you mean to say cars don't come with a proper spare wheel any more? Not even the not-proper "space saver" spare wheel as standard?
Jeez, I usually run with 2 full size spares, one on the bonnet and one on the back door. Boggles the mind that anyone would drive anywhere without a spare, unless they have shares in a towage company of course.

I've heard that a lot of the newer econoboxes only come with a can of fix-a-flat. They want to strip out as much weight as possible to maximize the gas mileage. But, I'm with you, I don't go anywhere without a full-size spare.

11 hours ago, Delay said:

It's 7 years old anyways; that's vintage for a PC.

Slap some new motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, and SSD. You can have the same looking PC but with a different gut.

10 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Get a mac instead. They're better. MOAR RAM!

... and have them dead 2 years later because of dust inside the body.

But it's your choice !

10 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

A week of 36 hour days would be nice...

Go underground, without sunlight regularity circadian rythm will shift to 48 hour days.

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I've heard that a lot of the newer econoboxes only come with a can of fix-a-flat.

To be fair, in a 1st world country cityscape it's very unlikely to get anything sharp on the road (unless it was intended).

But in a 3rd world country ? Don't you dare... unless you're on a motorcycle, in which case you need to drive better !

6 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I've heard that a lot of the newer econoboxes only come with a can of fix-a-flat.

Tried that stuff with my bicycle many years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Spare (steel) wheel, socket set, proper hydraulic or high-lift mechanical jack and a decent tow rope is minimum kit IMO.
I usually carry a spare fuel pump & ignition coil, various wire, hose and hose clamps, and a bunch of other random bits and bobs under the seat too, but that's mostly due to the age of my primary vehicle.
This habit has saved my ass many times over the years, and someone else's more than once as well.

I've tried the mass saving "tools" and flimsy jacks that come with modern cars, and they're universally useless. Not quite as useless as people who lower their cars to the point of being unable to get any jack underneath, but that's a complaint for another day.

4 hours ago, YNM said:

To be fair, in a 1st world country cityscape it's very unlikely to get anything sharp on the road (unless it was intended).

But in a 3rd world country ? Don't you dare... unless you're on a motorcycle, in which case you need to drive better !

A lot of places I take my truck around here in the Western United States aren't much more developed than a Third World country. True story.

55 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Tried that stuff with my bicycle many years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

You know, here's your strange-but-true story for the day. Back about eight years ago, my wife and I took our two sons (who were about 3 and 1 at the time) down to San Diego for the day to visit my mom and see the San Diego Zoo. We were driving back north on the 5 during rush hour, stop-and-go traffic, and I suddenly realized that our car had a flat tire. Pulled off to the side of the freeway, real thin shoulder at that point, flat is on the left side, totally going to be taking my life into my hands trying to change it. Wife is freaking out. Kids are freaking out. Total disaster. As we're standing there on the side of the road trying to figure out what to do, this limousine, full stretch limo, is crawling by in the traffic. The passenger side window rolls down, and the driver says, "Hey!" and reaches through the window and hands me a can of fix-a-flat. Total life saver. Pumped that tire up, got the car to the next off-ramp and off the highway where we could swap it out for the spare. So, two takeaways:

1. God bless whoever was in that limo. I figure I will just pay it forward some day.
  2. I keep a can of fix-a-flat in every car I have now. Because you never know when it will come in handy.

18 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

A lot of places I take my truck around here in the Western United States aren't much more developed than a Third World country. True story.

I'm not talking of potholes only, I'm also talking of people spreading pointy nails and even screws with holes inside them to make some money off their roadside tyre repair.

25 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

totally going to be taking my life into my hands trying to change it.

I expect the roads I travel are a little less busy, and I see few shoulders ('murican for "side of the road'?) that a '60 landy can't access, even with a flat. Don't really see those concrete-and-death freeways over here, at least not yet.
I often have high-vis and ye old required-at-the-mine amber beacon on hand too... Never used to get convince people to get out of my way or pretend my double parking is legit, of course. ;)

Might consider the stuff for the "generic white van" work vehicle though, that thing has the traction of a greased eel on a good day and pulling off the road is usually a pretty dodgy proposition.

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

I'm also talking of people spreading pointy nails and even screws with holes inside them to make some money off their roadside tyre repair.

Really? You must have some pretty unpleasant people around. Aside, the name for tire-puncturing devices is probably still "caltrop", and possessing them is definitely illegal here.

Edited by steve_v

30 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Don't really see those concrete-and-death freeways over here, at least not yet.

These roads are coming. With all the cheap money dealt out by the central bank everything is plastered in asphalt or concrete (that was my complain part of the day :-)).

But there still are a few dust roads, and not all roads are renewed yet. In many places one has to stop to let a semitruck or a bus pass through or do slowly because one can't look around a corner. But nobody damages anything wilfully.

I actually once drove a car that came without a spare tire, only that spray-through-the-valve nonsense, though it even was a high priced company car. But that thing doesn't help when the tire is cut and not just punctured. I know of no compact car like mine today that would allow for a full size tire even as an extra. And many don't even offer an emergency spare tire ... And many suvs carry the spare tire on the back only for the optics i'd say. If it is real at all, judging from who drives these cars i'd expect they couldn't even lift it down or dismount the aerodynamic shroud of it.

Anyway, i got 2 new front tires now (because symmetric profile abrasion) and will go to town to pick up the car. See you :-)

Edited by Green Baron

16 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

And many suvs carry the spare tire on the back only for the optics i'd say. If it is real at all, i'd expect drivers couldn't even lift it down or dismount the aerodynamic shroud of it.

Lifting a spare tire (in this case 750x16 AT on steel rim) off the back is no big deal. Just use your knees.
Lifting (and inevitably dropping, then chasing down the road) one off the front on the other hand... Or forgetting the shovel handle prop and having bonnet-with-tyre come down on ones head when you bump the stay, that is certainly no joke.

Never had to deal with one of those shrouds (or an "suv" for that matter) though. I'm not entirely convinced there's even a tyre in those things. It's probably there to store the cans of spray-on mud. :P

Edited by steve_v

I am absolutely fed up with McDonald's.

Funny story...... I'm allergic to dairy. I thought McDonald's would be fine.

So I wanted to get some fries. Nothing wrong with that, right? I ordered a bunch of fries, and took a bite. But then I got a REACTION. Yes, an ALLERGIC REACTION, from FRENCH FRIES. No, it's not the beginning of a bad joke. Thankfully, it wasn't too severe, and I had some antiallergy meds with me, so I was able to get it under control. But still...

Never McDonald's. Unless I'm starving.

55 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Really? You must have some pretty unpleasant people around.

Yup.

It's another reason to avoid potholes entirely, as they're often full of these 'spikes'.

Driving here isn't easy, despite what the bureaucracy looks like to you !

31 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

If it is real at all, judging from who drives these cars i'd expect they couldn't even lift it down or dismount the aerodynamic shroud of it.

17 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Never had to deal with one of those shrouds (or an "suv" for that matter) though. I'm not entirely convinced there's even a tyre in those things. It's probably there to store the cans of spray-on mud. :P

They're real, we had one of them.

In fact they're much easier to do with because you don't need to lower their cover/casing up and down by rotating a long hook (around their long axis). True it needs more effort but it doesn't take much thinking.

They also help spread the impact forces if you're ever rear-ended.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Don't really see those concrete-and-death freeways over here, at least not yet.

39 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

These roads are coming. With all the cheap money dealt out by the central bank everything is plastered in asphalt or concrete (that was my complain part of the day :-)).

They're coming because it's a farce to truly widen roadways these days.

http://www.roads.org.uk/articles/smart-motorways

Oddly enough, they seem to be content with it in Japan !

Just now, Earthlinger said:

I have two classmates who legitimately think the earth is flat

The world is full of idiots, yet they are vastly outnumbered by the ignorant and the uninformed.
I know grown adults who really believe the moon landing was a hoax. Ignoring these people appears to be the only option, but perhaps yours are still young enough to be saved...

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

I have two classmates who legitimately think the earth is flat

Help

I  suggest The Kerbal Way to solve this problem.

Build a decently big rocket, strap your classmates on it, fire it and see the fireworks while the rocket explodes the launchpad, your classmates and (hopefully) their parents nearby. :D 

Spoiler

Add MOAR BOOSTERS for maximum effect. :)