Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

Don't think so, unless they had access to your email too. Steam blocked your account, so no one (and not just you) can access the account now.

What I suggest is to change your email and paypal passwords. Just in case.

It said: "Nobody can access your account without accessing this email" Would the hacker then be trying to login to my email to input the code and get into my account?

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

It said: "Nobody can access your account without accessing this email" Would the hacker then be trying to login to my email to input the code and get into my account?

I think the answer to that question is yes.....

Or brute forcing that guard code.

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Theoretically possible. The guy managed to get access to your Steam account, didn't he?

Play safe. Change your PayPal AND email passwords.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Or brute forcing that guard code.

Brute forcing would lock the account permanently until validation by credit card or something equivalent.

Fear the Walking Dead, s04e09, the very beginning.

The wind is so strong that some Z-people are flying away.
But branches of the trees aren't moving.

A man drags the stabbed Z-person from the home, leaving a trace of blood on the floor.
"Couldn't he put some sack on it to keep the floor clear?"
But suddenly we can see that the trace magically disappears behind them.

They are walking under the cold rain so bravely.
With lack of medicines they will get cold. Then cold like rain. Then walking dead.

SWAT truck with miniguns is cool. Definitely must have in KSP.

Why nobody attaches to the Z-humans some... well, I don't know...  toys, candies, whatever.
Shouldn't the survivors make nice little surprises and gifts for each other?

Edited by kerbiloid

Comcast/Xfinity "mysteriously" activated auto-pay on my account, a mare 8 days after my last payment (on the 4th), and took a second payment (on the 12th). When I checked my account, and saw auto pay was active, I immediately disabled it. I got a confirmation email about the auto-pay being disabled... I've checked... NO EMAIL announcing they suddenly turned it on. I'm going to try to have the bank reverse the charge in the morning. If not, it'll overdraft my account. Their tech support at first tried to say I must have scheduled it myself, since auto-pay wasn't active... I pointed out that it wasn't active because I had just turned it off, prior to contacting tech support... They never once admitted to having ever turned it on. The lack of confirmation email seems VERY shady to me. I'm not happy.

Now I get to deal with this before and after work tomorrow... :mad:

One day Comcast just up and started giving me and charging me for all 10 HBO variants. I had not requested it, but kept it long enough to catch up on the shows everyone was excited about. Neither really excited me  (Westworld and Game of Thrones) so I cancelled it. They were puzzled about how it happened, but I suspect it was an attempt to trick me into keeping and continuing to pay for it. 

12 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

One day Comcast just up and started giving me and charging me for all 10 HBO variants. I had not requested it, but kept it long enough to catch up on the shows everyone was excited about. Neither really excited me  (Westworld and Game of Thrones) so I cancelled it. They were puzzled about how it happened, but I suspect it was an attempt to trick me into keeping and continuing to pay for it. 

We had DirecTV for years, but always just the basic package, no premium channels. We signed up with the $20 a month for 2 years special, and when the two years was up and they would bump our price up to $40 a month I would call them up and say, "Hi, I'd like to cancel my account." And they'd hem and haw, and ask, "So, what can we do to keep you around?" "Make it $20 a month again." And we'd get that price for another two years. Right after DirectTV got bought out by AT&T, our price went up again. Called them up, asked to cancel, and they're all, "Okay. Your account has been cancelled. Is there anything else I can help you with today?" I guess not. So, we're a streaming-only house now. (It's not like having less TV in the house is a bad thing. But it does remind me that I do have to go take down the satellite dish at some point.)

Last night, with extra kids in the house, and a LOT of dishes, I hit the strat button on the dishwasher, and no lights on, nothing. Called service, and they could come out today, so we had them come out.

A $15 part at the bottom of the 1.5 year old GE dishwasher apparently failed, and the DW detected the leak and shut down to avoid spilling on the floor. That sump part includes a black hose that is used to join to another part of the sump assembly. That 3-4 cm length of hose has what looks like a blister, which had then popped. Resent the leak sensor, and water pours out when it runs.

OK, $15 part (and a few other parts that go with it when taking everything apart), what's the total repair cost on the ~$700 DW?

$388.

So the repair guy is waiting to find out if the part can be had in town (it can't), and while he's waiting I call GE. After 20 minutes on hold (not general support, I was passed up the line after talking to them), I get the customer retention sort of rep. I tell her that after 1.5 years, this is not a wear issue, but a faulty part issue. She actually agrees, and sends a work order to the repair people, they're going to cover the cost.

So this is a complaint that it's even possible for a major appliance to fail in 1.5 years, and a thumbs up to GE for making it right at no cost, even out of warranty.

13 minutes ago, tater said:

Last night, with extra kids in the house, and a LOT of dishes, I hit the strat button on the dishwasher, and no lights on, nothing. Called service, and they could come out today, so we had them come out.

A $15 part at the bottom of the 1.5 year old GE dishwasher apparently failed, and the DW detected the leak and shut down to avoid spilling on the floor. That sump part includes a black hose that is used to join to another part of the sump assembly. That 3-4 cm length of hose has what looks like a blister, which had then popped. Resent the leak sensor, and water pours out when it runs.

OK, $15 part (and a few other parts that go with it when taking everything apart), what's the total repair cost on the ~$700 DW?

$388.

So the repair guy is waiting to find out if the part can be had in town (it can't), and while he's waiting I call GE. After 20 minutes on hold (not general support, I was passed up the line after talking to them), I get the customer retention sort of rep. I tell her that after 1.5 years, this is not a wear issue, but a faulty part issue. She actually agrees, and sends a work order to the repair people, they're going to cover the cost.

So this is a complaint that it's even possible for a major appliance to fail in 1.5 years, and a thumbs up to GE for making it right at no cost, even out of warranty.

I was out of town for work a couple of years ago when the wife calls me. Central A/C died. It's the middle of July. I'm all, "Well, do what you gotta do." She asked around for recommendations, got the name of an outfit, they came out that afternoon and got it fixed. $950. I got home on Friday night, looked over the invoice to see what they had actually done. They replaced the startup capacitor and replaced some wires that had "broken insulation". I looked online, I could buy a new startup capacitor for $20. I just about died.

This is why I do as many repairs as I can myself. I can get almost any part I need online, and if I'm in a bind there's an appliance repair place here in town that sells parts to the public. YouTube videos will walk me through almost any repair, usually of the exact appliance I'm working on. I've fixed the stove, the refrigerator, the dishwasher I've fixed like four times, that thing is a piece of work. Saved a ton of money.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I was out of town for work a couple of years ago when the wife calls me. Central A/C died. It's the middle of July. I'm all, "Well, do what you gotta do." She asked around for recommendations, got the name of an outfit, they came out that afternoon and got it fixed. $950. I got home on Friday night, looked over the invoice to see what they had actually done. They replaced the startup capacitor and replaced some wires that had "broken insulation". I looked online, I could buy a new startup capacitor for $20. I just about died.

This is why I do as many repairs as I can myself. I can get almost any part I need online, and if I'm in a bind there's an appliance repair place here in town that sells parts to the public. YouTube videos will walk me through almost any repair, usually of the exact appliance I'm working on. I've fixed the stove, the refrigerator, the dishwasher I've fixed like four times, that thing is a piece of work. Saved a ton of money.

I'm fortunate that the career I'm in I can just about fix anything. I also enjoy calling in to furnace and A/C places and ask for "price and availability" on part # xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx and listen to them sweat (they must think I'm some kind of big-wig-repair-person or something :D ). 

I do the same with the BMW dealers. The parts counter sure change their tune when they realize they don't have a dummy on the other end of the phone.

Morale of the story: Do your homework as best you can, and call in with confidence.

I just spent the last 4 hours trying to set up a Minecraft server for a friend and I. I've never done it before, so I had to do a lot of troubleshooting.

Just as I think I've finally got it working, a thunderstorm rolls over her house and blocks her Internet. :mad: Grrr.....

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

$950

Tips included?

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

YouTube videos will walk me through almost any repair

The inexorable technical progress keeps killing the secrets of old masters.

Spoiler

"Checking the wires insulation,"
guilds.jpg?fit=660,440

My company is making changes to the contracts of 70-odd people that result in each of us losing out on two weeks pay, we are being coerced under threat of termination to sign the new contract.

Nothing we can really do as they are technically following the letter of the law, but it sucks, hard.

Anyone have any relevant experience with similar?

At this point resigning myself to weathering a very poor month and just being mouthey about it where I feel I can get away with it, not much else we can do.

20 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

My company is making changes to the contracts of 70-odd people that result in each of us losing out on two weeks pay, we are being coerced under threat of termination to sign the new contract.

Nothing we can really do as they are technically following the letter of the law, but it sucks, hard.

Anyone have any relevant experience with similar?

At this point resigning myself to weathering a very poor month and just being mouthey about it where I feel I can get away with it, not much else we can do.

That sucks, hard. But what if all 70+ of you walked out? Either quit or wildcatted? Not an optimal solution, but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.

Or sock them with a ton of bad press. It's amazing how fast companies change their tune when the media gets a hold of a "big bad company" story.

Edit: or is it one of those situations where the company needs to do this to stay afloat?

Edited by StrandedonEarth

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That sucks, hard. But what if all 70+ of you walked out? Either quit or wildcatted? Not an optimal solution, but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.

Or sock them with a ton of bad press. It's amazing how fast companies change their tune when the media gets a hold of a "big bad company" story.

If we walked out the only thing that would happen is that 70 people would be out of work. It would hurt the company but only at a much higher cost to ourselves.

And for many long-timers, walking out is not an option, mortgages would fall through, pensions could be put at risk etc.

I would love to be in a position where I could sacrifice my employment to make a moral stand, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I mean, long term? Sure, my long term plans involving this company have changed dramatically, but do I want to be fired in October? No I do not.

29 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I once bought an apartment in high tech apartment house. It was under construction at that time. Advertised with high tech geothermal heating, automagic ventilation system, ultra low energy consumption. Situated in a central area of an expensive university town.

The construction company went bankrupt when the building was like 80% ready, but tech already was installed. The private bank that financed it had bought all the ready flats out and sold them as high as they could to get away with as much as they could. Lucky a friend of mine worked for the local newspaper and we set up several texts, questioning the honesty and business conduct of the bank and if other projects would go the same way.

I then was invited ordered to the ceo of the bank, sitting together with one of his attorneys, i told him we'd stop and write a nice story if they'd agree to sell me one of their prime top under roof flats in exchange for the unfinished one i "owned" + compensation of course, and finish the building as fast as they could, or else they'd have a hard time selling future projects. These guys only think in 2 years terms and money they can generate.

2 weeks later i was owner of a nice apartment in town, a new construction company made their plans for finishing everything, every owner paid a little surcharge for the the finishing and an enthusiastic article celebrated the wise decision of the boss of the financing bank, and btw. in the end, because prices were rising and still are, everyone made a very good slice of money in that.

What i want to say: getting them by the money is the best thing one can do if one is in a position to do so.

Edited by Green Baron

On 8/14/2018 at 12:13 AM, Delay said:

eye drops

Depends on the eye drops, really.

Many "eye freshner" (one local example) contains cleaning chemicals (to help break down larger debris) and plastic-like chemicals (to form a thin film of protective layer). If your eyes were already irritated, it may not always help, because these chemicals could actually be irritating themselves in the wrong conditions.

What I would suggest instead is a saline water drop (local example). You'll see that the ingredients only contains a saline solution much as what you would find in your tears. When I had a bad eye irritation, in addition to the anti-irritant doctors me, they also prescribed those.

Edited by YNM

I listen to something in English or read a text, either here or somewhere else, that contains a word that I don't know.

I open up Wiktionary and try to figure out what the word means, but what I'm greeted with is not a defintion/ multiple definitions but a heap of synonyms. Great help, especially when you don't know the synonyms as well. For instance: try "exorbitant" and then tell me that I'm supposed to learn from that entry. And almost all of them are this way.

5 minutes later and I have at least 5 open tabs, each one with a different word.

This is worse than TVTropes could ever be at this point.

This is routine for me now, and it's frustrating. I feel like I know nothing about the English language. It's demotivating.

Edited by Delay