Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

23 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Here's a complaint. The complaint thread is veering into a debate about nuclear power and environmentalism and stuff. I hate it when it does that. :mad:

I hear that.

I just found out that one of my childhood pets (who now lives with my Dad) is incredibly sick and likely won't make it through the night.

He is a cat and is likely around 20 years old (we're not certain, found as an adult stray, like, 18? years ago?), so he had a good long life.

Still :(  He's the last one of my 4 childhood cats left.;.;

22 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I just found out that one of my childhood pets...is incredibly sick and likely won't make it through the night. He is a cat and is likely around 20 years old...

It's been a decade since I went through that. My family's cat was named Precious, and she was a wonderful family member. She even saved my mother's life (My mother had an incident that required immediate medical attention, and the cat came to get me, and SHE WOULD NOT BACK DOWN TILL I FOLLOWED HER... Our cat truly saved my mother!) I miss her dearly. She was a wonderful cat...

Strangely enough... She is quite literally riding with me whenever I go anywhere in my car... I can explain... When she passed away, I provided a lovely box for her and we buried her at my mother's house... Sadly, my mother had to move, so I took on the rather... morbid duty of digging up her box and cremating what remained, so that she could be transported. My mother couldn't stand the though of leaving her Precious girl behind (and I agreed... She had always been family and we were not going to simply abandon her grave). Anyway, My mother had found a nice urn, but my cremation was not as efficient as a proper crematorium would have been. Her bones remained mostly intact, and there was a great deal of wood charcoals remaining...

I had the rather somber task of picking out all the rather numerous wood charcoals from the bones and fine ash, to reduce the remains to a volume that would fit inside the urn.
(Alas, poor Precious! I knew her... I seem to get all these these morbid jobs... :/ )

Well, the problem is, during the aftermath of the 2009 economic "Ptthht", I too was forced to move. Amazingly enough, in all the jumble of moving two people's houses worth of junk... I ended up giving my mother the remaining unsorted ashes and wood charcoals, and I still had Precious' bones!

So... Here I am, reminded of how painful losing a loved pet is. I know what you're going through. It hurts. When you grow up with an animal, they become more than a pet. They're family, and It. Hurts. Now I have to make one more drive to take Precious home... I don't know when I'll get out of work at any reasonable time, so I've simply kept her bones in my car, riding next to me. Whenever I next stop by my mothers place, there they'll stay.

My complaint... Reading of your loss and typing about my family's loss is causing me to get all emotional, and I'm already blowing (pun intended) through these tissues cause of this blasted cold! ;.;
(Oh yeah, I got a cold... grumble grumble...)

I realized 5 months ALL my pictures are gone due to the hosting site I used being shut down...its only just sunk in how much that is. On one hand all my cringy art is gone off the internet superficially at least. On the other hand the vast majority of all my craft and missions might as well have never have happned, and will remain like this for quite a while...

Oh well

Ok see you in late december byeeeeeeee

1 hour ago, Spacetraindriver said:

my pictures are gone

Backups.... Backuuuuups.....  BAAAAACKUPS.... :0.0:

I've gotten 32GB Thumb drives for $5 before. They were name brand. I feel bad for you. Loosing data sucks, but it's one type of loss that's easily preventable. If you learn anything from this... Buy a thumb drive. Copy stuff you want to keep to it. Buy another and keep it somewhere different than the first and have two copies, incase you loose one of them.

When I was young, you would occasionally hear of people having a house fire or some form of natural disaster and losing all their family photos and feeling devastated... There's no excuse to lose data that can be copied perfectly and without any significant cost or loss of quality. Back then, it cost a good bit of money to have duplicate photos made. Now you can dump your stuff onto a free cloud service, an imgur account, flickr, or whatever it is you want to use... copy the stuff to some cheap thumb drives! Don't rely on a single way to store your data.

I hear MORE OFTEN of people losing all their photos these days, than back when people legitimately had NO backup copy at all of a physical medium that was not easy to duplicate! In a world where it's a few clicks to copy all of it and create a backup, to send copies to friends or family, to push files online, to duplicate files to your heart's content, there is no need for this kind of data loss!

Again, I feel bad for you, but I do hope you use this as a lesson to keep backups of your files.
It doesn't save what you already lost, but hopefully, you don't lose what you save in the future!

Edited by richfiles
F

On 10/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, Geonovast said:

I just found out that one of my childhood pets (who now lives with my Dad) is incredibly sick and likely won't make it through the night.

2 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

I realized 5 months ALL my pictures are gone due to the hosting site I used being shut down...

I remember when my parents called to let me know my childhood dog was going to be put down.  I used to have a picture of her with my oldest child.

For some reason, that's one of the few picture frames my wife decided to take when she left. :mad:  <insert words the mods won't let me use>

F

I know this pain, I lost a lot to a virus that forced me to re-format.

Backup your backups. And "cloud" storage is for convenience, not for security.

9 hours ago, richfiles said:

I hear MORE OFTEN of people losing all their photos these days, than back when people legitimately had NO backup copy at all of a physical medium that was not easy to duplicate! In a world where it's a few clicks to copy all of it and create a backup, to send copies to friends or family, to push files online, to duplicate files to your heart's content, there is no need for this kind of data loss!

Yep. After I lost mine, now my main store of nostalgia (that which remains) is a large plastic box full of "normal" photos. Thank god I didnt have a digital camera at university! (disposable cameras were still cool)

(OK, what do we call "normal" photos, the ones taken on film that has to be developed? Surely "normal" means digital to most people nowadays.)

Edited by p1t1o

10 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

the hosting site I used being shut down...

Do you just realize it now after they've fully shut or is it just announced ? If the latter then I'm sure you can e-mail them.

If it's the first, I feel bad for you. But I hope those images are better remembered as actual memories and not defining your memories of the event.

9 hours ago, richfiles said:

push files online

idk, but that sounds like a circular reference error.

Not to mention the general incompatibility of stuffs. I'm just glad no one has been messing with the most basic of files. Also the 'oops' factor when it comes to those - say, it turns out FAT32 has no place within Android, so I had to reformat the (micro) SD card that my father uses for his camera (uses an adapter for standard SD card size). Before even able to move the files off.

Physical things may perish, but at least they remain readable before it actually does.

digital_resource_lifespan.png

Edited by YNM

32 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

what do we call "normal" photos, the ones taken on film that has to be developed?

Negative. Films are negatives.

The resulting developed image would be a print.

Edited by YNM

9 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Ok, so, can someone please show me how to make a hardcopy backup of my KSP build?

Is there an export function or....?

Right click on your KSP folder.

Click COPY.

Open up External USB thumb drive / USB Harddrive / Network Location

Right Click.

Click PASTE.

Done.

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Right click on your KSP folder.

Click COPY.

Open up External USB thumb drive / USB Harddrive / Network Location

Right Click.

Click PASTE.

Done.

Oh spoilsport, I was making a joke about writing the code out on paper  

Thats the 2nd time this week, I need to work on my material :D

5 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Oh spoilsport, I was making a joke about writing the code out on paper  

Thats the 2nd time this week, I need to work on my material :D

Dorothy Vaughan could probably give you some pointers.

36 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Ok, so, can someone please show me how to make a hardcopy backup of my KSP build?

Print out the file in the right encoding (this will be the source code for the .exes). Preferably in machine-readable fonts.

I know someone used this to distribute some... 'infringing' software, but I forgot who. Something about freedom to book publishing, but not to software distribution.

Edited by YNM

16 minutes ago, razark said:

Punchcards.

Kickpapers. What are we doing?

JK I know what punchcards are :D

How small do you have to write, before it becomes digital media?

What is the maximum physical size of a "bit" before it becomes a "dot"?

Wait, thats good enough for here:

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Print out the file in the right encoding (this will be the source code for the .exes). Preferably in machine-readable fonts.

Yeah cool. And archive it on microfiche for eternity longer than you will live :-)

btw.: classical films are either negatives or diapositive slides. Both with variants and so.

Edit: oh, complaining about ... about ... about the weather ! It is raining.

Edited by Green Baron

Just now, razark said:

Oh, not at all.

How are you supposed to shuffle the tape?

Do you really think you're going to fit it on one reel? Besides, when you finally get tired of lugging the tapes around you can use them for ribbon on Christmas presents like my father-in-law did for years.

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

Do you really think you're going to fit it on one reel? Besides, when you finally get tired of lugging the tapes around you can use them for ribbon on Christmas presents like my father-in-law did for years.

But if I don't have cards, what do I use for bookmarks?