Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

31 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

.And I just got a letter from the HOA warning me to stop parking on the street. Now they're going to think I did it because of them.

Alternatively, perhaps they had awaited you finishing your renovation fest before sending you the letter.

35 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I've lived in my condo for a year, and we're not really supposed to park on the street and instead use our garage to park, or driveway. For this whole year, while renovating several rooms, I've used the garage as a workshop and storage bin for garbage, so have been parking one car in the driveway and one in the street. Until a couple weeks ago, when we finished the last room (yay!) and I can finally organize, trash, or at least shove somewhere all the floatsam of construction.

And I just got a letter from the HOA warning me to stop parking on the street. Now they're going to think I did it because of them.

When we first started looking for houses in this area, one of our conditions with the realtor was: No HOA. I was dead set against living in a development with an HOA. He finally convinced me to at least look, and we wound up buying in the development we did despite the fact that it has an HOA because it is very hands off. (For example, when we went to relandscape our backyard I called to HOA to find out what paperwork we had to file/hoops we had to jump through with them. The manager's exact words were, "If it's in your backyard we don't care.")

But the one thing that they are nutty about is on-street parking. Apparently one of the HOA board members is just fanatical about this. He drives the entire development every day and writes citations for on-street parking. And, lucky for us, we live on a cul-de-sac where the only spot on the entire circle that isn't in front of a driveway or a mailbox is right in front of our house. So the first couple of years we were in the house we were constantly getting angrygrams from the HOA threatening us with fines for cars we didn't own parked overnight in front of our house. It was irritating. Finally, after about the fifth or sixth time of having to call the HOA manager to explain/complain I was all, "Tell Captain Metermaid to knock it off or I'm going to show up to the next board meeting with a couple gallons of angry for him!" That was, what, four years ago? Haven't seen one notice since.

14 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

... stop parking on the street. ...

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

they are nutty about is on-street parking.

How wide are the street in front of your houses ? Are there spare room in the lawn ?

17 minutes ago, YNM said:

How wide are the street in front of your houses ? Are there spare room in the lawn ?

2 lanes, and there are like 10 houses that use that street so the chances of two cars going different directions are basically nil.

Parking in lawns is more forbidden than streets, though I'd happily pay to pave my lawn if it meant I could park both cars side by side on it.

41 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

2 lanes

Standard 2 lanes (2x3.5 m, so 7m / 23 ft) ? Or wider ?

I'd argue if it's wider (say, 12 m / 39 ft) it should be OK, as long as the street stay passable.

Edited by YNM

42 minutes ago, YNM said:

Standard 2 lanes (2x3.5 m, so 7m / 23 ft) ? Or wider ?

I'd argue if it's wider (say, 12 m / 39 ft) it should be OK, as long as the street stay passable.

There is no arguing. It's on the agreement I signed when I bought the house. I agreed that it was reasonable (and still think it is).

And note, my complaint isn't that they're making me do it. It's that I was going to do it anyway and now it looks like they made me.

Edited by 5thHorseman

4 hours ago, YNM said:

It is wide enough to park on and still get by. You're allowed to park on the street during the day, if people are visiting or you need to clear out your garage or whatever. You just have to be off the street at night.

And before you ask, no, the logic is not entirely clear to me either. Non-HOA neighborhoods have overnight street parking. I'm not sure what ill effect we're supposed to be avoiding. But, then again, I don't like HOAs in the first place.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Parking in lawns is more forbidden than streets, though I'd happily pay to pave my lawn if it meant I could park both cars side by side on it.

This. Although the folks who moved in next to us needed parking for three cars (since their entire garage is filled with crap), so they got creative and had a landscaper come out and widen their driveway with pavers. Apparently our HOA had no issue with it.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

This. Although the folks who moved in next to us needed parking for three cars (since their entire garage is filled with crap), so they got creative and had a landscaper come out and widen their driveway with pavers. Apparently our HOA had no issue with it.

If they'd let us (I've not asked) I'd love to widen my driveway to park both cars in it.

My girlfriend though would probably nix that before I could even ask the HOA. As it would eat up about half of our postage-stamp of a lawn.

Edited by 5thHorseman

And then I had to download that whole piece of Kraken's Poo called Visual Studio for Mac, as I can't compile MonoDevelop on my machine anymore due some <insert your favorite non-forum compliant "compliment" here> update on my MacOS.

Having to handle Unity us already bad enough - I prefer to use Blender with the KSP plugin to use that piece of KRAP. But now, I have to use VS too - with all of the enormous amount of <insert your favorite non-forum compliant "eulogy" here>.

Software Developers are something that I'm starting to hate more than I hate lawyers. And I'm a Software Developer. :mad:

8 hours ago, Lisias said:

And then I had to download that whole piece of Kraken's Poo called Visual Studio for Mac, as I can't compile MonoDevelop on my machine anymore due some <insert your favorite non-forum compliant "compliment" here> update on my MacOS.

Having to handle Unity us already bad enough - I prefer to use Blender with the KSP plugin to use that piece of KRAP. But now, I have to use VS too - with all of the enormous amount of <insert your favorite non-forum compliant "eulogy" here>.

Software Developers are something that I'm starting to hate more than I hate lawyers. And I'm a Software Developer. :mad:

Just grab the Mono command-line compiler, mcs, and runtime, mono. Then you can use your favorite text editor without issue.

1 minute ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Just grab the Mono command-line compiler, mcs, and runtime, mono. Then you can use your favorite text editor without issue.

My Favorite Editor for CSharp development is Monodevelop, that I can't compile again on my machine due an update from Apple. :D

this is my problem. Somehow, Apple broke the MacPlatform.csproj from MonoDevelop. I can't even compile again the previous version as I did some months ago.

In a nutshell, I can't do exactly what you suggested me to do!  :P

Just now, Lisias said:

My Favorite Editor for CSharp development is Monodevelop, that I can't compile again on my machine due an update from Apple. :D

this is my problem. Somehow, Apple broke the MacPlatform.csproj from MonoDevelop. I can't even compile again the previous version as I did some months ago.

In a nutshell, I can't do exactly what you suggested me to do!  :P

Well, what about your second-favorite text editor? :sticktongue:

When I have to deal with C#, I always use SharpDevelop and am enough happy with it.

(To recompile some obsolete KSP plugins I also used it).

PSPad text editor is very fine for me, it has both syntax highlighting and hex mode to edit binary files. Using it for ages.

Very much H8 that yours Sublime. I can't see how a humanoid person can prefer it at all.
As it's popular between the linuxoids, I guess they just love it after vi(m), emasccs and other Via Dolorosa Linux Way.

UltraEdit is a great thing (the greatest text editor I've evah used), but it wants money.

NetBeans IDE for me looks like much lesser evil than Eclipse and others. Between non-C/C# IDEs I choose this evil when a project contains >10 source files.

WinMerge is an absolutely great thing. Compares source files and directories, allows to edit them in place.

Of course C++/Qt is the best, with great IDE QtCreator and Help. Easy to do very different things. But unlikely you can get a lot of vacancies.

Edited by kerbiloid

20 hours ago, qzgy said:

Think I'm getting sick. Was fine yesterday, now my throat is a bit sore and nose is quite stuffy.

I have a Mickey mouse impression, and I renamed my steam account Mickey Mouse for some CS:GO trolling, and now my throat is sore. Can't tell if I'm sick or if it's the voice :(

On 12/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

Honestly, xed or gedit suffices perfectly well for me. Syntax highlighting, indentation, decent dark themes, and I'm happy.

On Windows I use Notepad++, but I hardly ever use Windows at all these days.

Sublime Text 3 is great

13 hours ago, YNM said:

Could you downgrade, or use something very similar ?

Nope. I can't install previous versions on my machine since a firmware upgrade. I tried to downgrade to El Captain, but the machine refused to boot El Captain!

Them I tried to upgrade to High Sierra and… Man, it borked! High Sierra is unusable, at least on my machine. So I'm stuck with Sierra. And that's it.

12 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Sublime Text 3 is great

Sublime is just a little better than a toy. It can be useful, but not for me - I need more professional tools. And I already use Notepad++ and TextWrangler for the roles Sublime would be useful.

Calling MonoDevelop "professional" is something that makes me shrug - but so is the Life. :P 

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

High Sierra is unusable, at least on my machine. So I'm stuck with Sierra. And that's it.

(maybe it's sign you should abandon ship ?)

2 hours ago, YNM said:

(maybe it's sign you should abandon ship ?)

Yes. But some clients use this piece of expensive poo, so I have to have one In order to support the thing.

Curiously enough, most of them is virtually paying to avoid going to Mojave. I wondering if that would not be the reason for Apple cutting down the download for High Sierra and below for users that installed Mojave.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

But some clients use this piece of expensive poo, so I have to have one in order to support the thing.

Ah, right.

My salutations then. Good luck !