Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Still no power for 4,000 of the more remote (Gulf Islands) customers in my region after a windstorm a week ago.

Meanwhile in NYC, a belated Independence Day.

THAT’S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK

Edited by DDE

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It was just a transformer explosion.

I moved to Florida from NY, about 20 years ago, and down here transformer explosions are common during a hurricane. One will blow out, and then they'll start to cascade, and you get a weird green/blue light show for the next couple hours.

But New Yorkers???

Yeah... I'm betting about 95% of them had no clue what it was, and were seriously freaking out for a while... :0.0:

Edited by Just Jim

If anybody has noticed, I have been off of the forum. There are 2 reasons.

The first is that I am sick. I know, Christmas break and all, but I feel like I have *the worst* cold in the history of mankind. When I try to blow my nose in an attempt to relieve what feels like 15 PSI on my brain, the  phlegm is so densely packed that nothing will come out. 

My second reason, muvh more positive, I got thw Nintendo Switch, and have been playing the heck out of it.

Thats all. 

35 minutes ago, DDE said:

we had to work this Saturday.

I would work every Saturday to avoid the corporatives and discussions about them.

Also the best time to work were the 1st Jan shifts. A lovely zombocalyptic atmosphere, rare humans, rare post-corporative zombies wanting to sleep. And me, fresh and sober.

Edited by kerbiloid

In online guitar communities and forums and junk, there's a joke running around that you can never have enough guitars. I've been a guitarists for roughly 5 days and I already have my eye on a blue Ibanez RG450 and a white HSS lickguard...

Help me.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:04 AM, Just Jim said:

I moved to Florida from NY, about 20 years ago, and down here transformer explosions are common during a hurricane. One will blow out, and then they'll start to cascade, and you get a weird green/blue light show for the next couple hours.

But New Yorkers???

Yeah... I'm betting about 95% of them had no clue what it was, and were seriously freaking out for a while... :0.0:

Where I'm from electric explosions happen regularly during storm season, as tornadoes destroy power lines we also get pretty blue flashes. On that note, there was a bad storm and a lightning bolt sounded like it landed outside my window, and I jumped like a foot out of my chair.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

I think @kerbiloid, @sh1pman and most of our fellow countrymen would have a collective complaint: we had to work this Saturday.

Well, pretend to. There was champagne, but still.

Pronounce Champagne like Lasagne and pronounce Lasagna lake Champagne. You will either get laughs or get slapped and it's hilarious either way.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

I'm afraid he is pronouncing Lasagne like [laz'anja] and Champagne like [shamp'anskaje], so it will take some efforts to get the rhyme.

Would you like a glass of Shampanskaje? I can't even work out how to pronounce that.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I can't even work out how to pronounce that.

The IPA /j/ is more like the German "j" or English "y." The English "j" is represented as /dz/.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

[shamp'anskaje]

I assume by this you mean /ʃamp'anskaje/? In any case, the way to spell that would be something like "shampanskaye," which, while certainly a mouthful, isn't too hard.

7 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Would you like a glass of Shampanskaje? I can't even work out how to pronounce that.

Actually, that is very close to the Russian word for it: Shampanskoye  SHAM -PAN-SKO-YEH .

шампанское

Edited by Klapaucius

Pronounce Champagne like Lasagne and pronounce Lasagna lake Champagne. You will either get laughs or get slapped and it's hilarious either way.

I'M TRYING!!! I CAN'T DO IT!!! :D

But seriously... The standard pronunciation is too burned into my brain, and these words collectively are such a silly string of characters that I literally can't wrap my brain around how to move my mouth and throat muscles to make this happen! It's a most hilariously absurd demonstration of muscle memory, and is so hilariously frustrating! :confused:

In online guitar communities and forums and junk, there's a joke running around that you can never have enough guitars. I've been a guitarists for roughly 5 days and I already have my eye on a blue Ibanez RG450 and a white HSS lickguard...

I've heard it is the same for tarantula enthusiasts...for me to go from zero to one is a terrible risk. 

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

[sh] is definitely [ʃ], i was just too lazy to find the character.

Incidentally, the square bracket notation means something very particular: "narrow" transcription. That means you're supposed to use all the weird IPA diacritics. If you don't want to use all those, use forward slashes ("broad" transcription). Then you just have to use enough diacritics and special symbols to distinguish phonemes in a particular language. If the language in question doesn't distinguish between, say, [p] and [pʰ], you can use the broad /p/ without hazard. Otherwise, you'd have to use the right narrow one to describe exactly how the phone is actually articulated.

French province Champagne, founded in 1065, offers ideal environment to grow a grape for a special sort of sparkling wine, called Champagne, an art that roots in late medieval times. In continental Europe, the term Champagne is used only for sparkling wine from that region, the rest being simply sparkling wine. In English speaking countries champagne often refers to all sorts of sparkling wines, regardless of their origin. Santé !

Dom-perignon.jpg

------------------

Am bug hunting something naive i programmed. It is so time consuming !