[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

11 minutes ago, HafCoJoe said:

Nice! I'm surprised your framerate is that good when using the snow addon; the particles it adds *severely* tank your FPS, so I don't even run them myself unless explicitly doing things at the poles. They tank your framerate globally if you're on a planet with them (or at least they did at the time of their conception, before EVE-Redux existed)

If by "that good" you mean having something between 30-50 fps (Or sometimes 20-30 fps) then yes. I rarely see +60 fps in my installs though, too many mods and +100 parts ships really lags.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, Forked Camphor said:

If by "that good" you mean having something between 30-50 fps (Or sometimes 20-30 fps) then yes. I rarely see +60 fps in my installs though, too many mods and +100 parts ships really lags.

I've gone from 100+ FPS to under 60 when I've had snow particles installed — or at least it feels like that; I've not done any hard measurements. They turn my 3070Ti into a wind tunnel too.

Edited by HafCoJoe

Hello thank you for this mod I use on Mac OSX.

Question about the Spectra_Scatterer folder: It must be in Game Data>Scatterer>Spectra_Scatterer or Game Data> Spectra_Scatterer or Game Data>Spectra>Spectra_Scatterer (same level than Spectra_eve) and then merge the different contents of Scatterer in, the Spectra_Scatterer folder and the Spectra_Eve folder ?

Thank you for reply

18 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello thank you for this mod I use on Mac OSX.

Question about the Spectra_Scatterer folder: It must be in Game Data>Scatterer>Spectra_Scatterer or Game Data> Spectra_Scatterer or Game Data>Spectra>Spectra_Scatterer (same level than Spectra_eve) and then merge the different contents of Scatterer in, the Spectra_Scatterer folder and the Spectra_Eve folder ?

Thank you for reply

GameData>Spectra>Spectra_Scatterer is correct. You don't need to change the file structure from the download at all, just drop the whole Spectra folder into your GameData. I sadly cannot provide troubleshooting support for Max OSX though sadly, since I've not done any testing with it (I don't have a mac). I wish you luck o7 

Used the newest Spectraversion and newest Scattererversion:

Is Eve supposed to look like this?

89c4q3G.png

Can't see any of the landmasses.... Bug or feature?

Also Kerbin: No tint on the day/knight boarder:

KrBUCJs.png

manuall install done. Have Spectra folder and Scattererfolder in my Gamedata.

Scatterer runs on SMAA, if this is a concern.

Edited by Rakete

7 hours ago, Rakete said:

Used the newest Spectraversion and newest Scattererversion:

Is Eve supposed to look like this?

89c4q3G.png

Can't see any of the landmasses.... Bug or feature?

Also Kerbin: No tint on the day/knight boarder:

KrBUCJs.png

manuall install done. Have Spectra folder and Scattererfolder in my Gamedata.

Scatterer runs on SMAA, if this is a concern.

There's something wrong with your installation, possibly Scatterer settings? Definitely some unwanted issues with Scatterer. You can compare to the pictures and videos in the OP to see how the planets are supposed to work. Could you show me a picture of your GameData? All the files from Spectra should be in one folder inside of GameData, so GameData/Spectra/Spectra_Scatterer and the rest

nkLRsTx.png

Os1kFX9.png

Edited by HafCoJoe

16 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

There's something wrong with your installation, possibly Scatterer settings? Definitely some unwanted issues with Scatterer. You can compare to the pictures and videos in the OP to see how the planets are supposed to work. Could you show me a picture of your GameData? All the files from Spectra should be in one folder inside of GameData, so GameData/Spectra/Spectra_Scatterer and the rest

[Screenshots]

Not the person you replied to, but I have the same issue.

Screenshots:

OmMFn7D.png

izRYJTf.png

Based on the screenshots you showed, I wasn't sure if Scatterer was supposed to be in the gamedata folder as well. I did try removing it, and it made everything look almost stock (just with better clouds.)

Have installed both with CKAN and manually on 100% stock installs and the same thing happens.

18 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

nkLRsTx.png

Os1kFX9.png

Found the reason: I forgot to take the Spectra_Scatterer folder from the extras. I somehow expected the Spectra-folder to be complete and sensitive to scatterer's presence. I had only the Spectra_Eve folder

Took the spectra_scatterer folder from the extras to gamedata/spectra and it seems to work and change the scattering.

By the way, what does the vibrant sunset-extra adjust? Are there some previews for all the extras as screenshots available? There are so many optional extras. 

Is it intentional, that Eve 's atmosphere does not allow guesses ,where  the landmasses are?

Edited by Rakete

On 10/22/2022 at 1:08 PM, Rakete said:

By the way, what does the vibrant sunset-extra adjust? Are there some previews for all the extras as screenshots available? There are so many optional extras. 

Is it intentional, that Eve 's atmosphere does not allow guesses ,where  the landmasses are?

It's very minor what the vibrant sunset adds—it overdrives the sunset color values to make them look much more colorful but it comes at the cost of a visible line near the terminator from orbit. Alas I don't have any more pictures of the addons at the moment sorry :/ the names of them should do a pretty good job of explaining them though

It is intentional that you have to guess :) you can use mapping equipment from KSP's science equipment to get more exact locations, or remove the clouds for the moment you land and add them back after

15 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

visible line near the terminator from orbit

I saw this, when I tried it out. That's why i chose the non-vibrant variant. 

In fact, i didn't see much of a difference directly landed on Kerbin between both settings. Maybe I am colorblind. Should've taken screenshots for direct comparison, but forgot about it. :D

15 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

mapping equipment from KSP's science equipment

You mean the Kerbnet-Thingy? I never used it... maybe I should have a look at it. 

On 10/22/2022 at 4:08 PM, Rakete said:

@DMagic's SCANsat mod is fantastic for mapping out planets prior to landing attempts.  It even allows you to color your planetary maps by slope so you you can find a nice flat spot to land your spaceplanes, which you can then mark with waypoints for navigation through the cloud layer.  Its compatibility listing on CKAN only extends through version 1.10.8, but it's working just fine for me so far in my latest 1.12.3 career save.

Edited by Nizrael

• 2 months later...

Question: How can I get more performance with just the EVE module installed? I'm getting like 18fps in low orbit of Kerbin and 32fps when in high orbit. I get better FPS on Eve and Duna and Jool, with Eve and Duna giving around 30fps in low orbit and jool giving 55fps. Laythe gives 28fps

Edited by KerbalOnKerbin

4 hours ago, KerbalOnKerbin said:

Question: How can I get more performance with just the EVE module installed? I'm getting like 18fps in low orbit of Kerbin and 32fps when in high orbit. I get better FPS on Eve and Duna and Jool, with Eve and Duna giving around 30fps in low orbit and jool giving 55fps. Laythe gives 28fps

Try only Eve Redux (use the performance enhanced redux version (own thread in this forum) + Spectra instead of Eve + Spectra + Scatterer. Spectras more simplistic back-up atmospheres will kick in an save ressources. But they do not look as good as when combined with Scatterer.

If that also doesnt run okay, try only EVE Redux + Boulder Co Configs (to be found here somewhere in the forum) for Clouds instead of spectra. More simplistic but not as good looking as spectra.

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Try only Eve Redux (use the performance enhanced redux version (own thread in this forum) + Spectra instead of Eve + Spectra + Scatterer. Spectras more simplistic back-up atmospheres will kick in an save ressources. But they do not look as good as when combined with Scatterer.

If that also doesnt run okay, try only EVE Redux + Boulder Co Configs (to be found here somewhere in the forum) for Clouds instead of spectra. More simplistic but not as good looking as spectra.

Spectra's configs are actually better performing than the standard Boulder Co configs, if I recall correctly. I did my best to optimize them

5 hours ago, KerbalOnKerbin said:

How many pieces is your craft, and how good would you consider your pc? You could try uninstalling Scatterer perhaps; that's one of the largest performance hits, but it would remove the pretty water and sunset effects.

2 hours ago, KerbalOnKerbin said:

My PC is medium spec

You have at least 8 GB of RAM? You're at 1920x1080 I guess... you shouldn't go higher with a RX550. 2 or 4 GB vram? That could make a big difference. I have a GTX1060 3GB at 1920x1200 and with spectra and scatterer it's nearly all used. I use the Windows game bar widget to see stats (windows-G).  

My Pc is fairly old-spec. Gtx 1060 6 GB with a i7 9700K and 32 GB ram. Eve  + Spectra + Scatterer + Waterfall + dozens of further gameplay mods runs quite smoothly without stuttering.

I play at WQHD resolution.

Edited by Rakete

54 minutes ago, KerbalOnKerbin said:

I have a 4GB VRAM with 32 gigs of main RAM. I also have reflections turned off and about every setting at minimum (except terrain quality)

And you do not have any other mod installed except Spectra + Eve? Sounds a bit strange, that you do so few fps even with a small 50 parts vessel. How many fps do you get, in a vanilla KSP in the same situation (same vessel launch)? Maybe something else on your system munches the performance (like several virus scanners running parallel or something like that).

On 1/9/2023 at 5:53 PM, KerbalOnKerbin said:

I only have the EVE module installed, no scatterer. My craft is below around 50 parts. My PC is medium spec, with a AMD Ryzen 1700 and a Radeon RX 550

Alas I don't know if a Radion RX 550 will cut it for running EVE :(

Performance comparison to my card: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-550/4116vs3925

On 1/11/2023 at 6:37 AM, KerbalOnKerbin said:

Yeah, to be fair I've always known my graphics card is bad. The best it can do is run Minecraft, Roblox, and Factorio. Even with stock visuals it sometimes likes to die.

:( It's funny because I made Spectra for strong integration with Scatterer, yet often when I'm playing solo I have it disabled to improve performance. One nice little thing you can do to help performance a lot, is turn off aero effects in settings. It removes the mach lines and reentry "flames" but your craft will still be painted red. REALLY improves performance when in atmosphere