SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, regex said:

Until I see that thing light its engines on the pad and lift off into space, it's a unicorn I will make no assumptions about.

E: Then, AND ONLY THEN, does it deserve a space on "Rockets of the World" posters.

What about when it lights its engines on the pad, fires for a minute, and then shuts down because it's the static fire?

8 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

What about when it lights its engines on the pad, fires for a minute, and then shuts down because it's the static fire?

That doesn't prove its flight capability. It will be less of a unicorn but a unicorn THAT STILL DOESNT BELONG ON A ROCKETS OF THE WORLD POSTER nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Then I, for one, will cheer. 

It's an obvious comparison I guess, given its shape, but that nearly assembled  Falcon Heavy reminds me of a Y-Wing. Here's hoping it stays intact longer than most Y-Wings seem to. :)

"I'm gonna launch it along the planned vector and hope it doesn't explode. Cover me, Tom."

"Right behind you, Gold Leader."

16 minutes ago, KSK said:

It's an obvious comparison I guess, given its shape, but that nearly assembled  Falcon Heavy reminds me of a Y-Wing. Here's hoping it stays intact longer than most Y-Wings seem to. :)

"I'm gonna launch it along the planned vector and hope it doesn't explode. Cover me, Tom."

"Right behind you, Gold Leader."

I'm so glad I left my coffee on the counter when I went to wake up the kids, else there'd be snot-mixed coffee on my keyboard right now.

6 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

3 landings simultaneously made me wonder, does SpaceX plan for secondary landing sites?  What would happen if the barge or the launch site was not an option.

2 will be simultaneous (LZ-1 and LZ-2), and the core with be a little later on OCSILY. There is no backup landing site. RTLS boosters have a trajectory off the beach that gets corrected to the LZ (so they take a bath with a failure), and any failure at an ASDS... we have video of that, lol. Boom!

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

That brings me to the question, what kind of infrastructure is needed at the ground for an automated booster landing. I assume some sort of dgps and a "Hi i am here" beacon at least ?

Or do we not know ?

Presumably a low power beacon is all that is needed (I'd have more than three around the pad for better accuracy) as it will first head back to just offshore in case of failure and they can make contact for the final correction (I'm guessing there is too much plasma during the burn to offshore).

As long as it doesn’t blow up the pad, actually takes off, and successfully separates, yeah it will probably land.:cool:

with only ~1 ton of cargo they shouldn’t need to go expendable.

I do wonder how much further down range the core stage will travel.

Edited by Nightside

I'm gonna get my daughter for the FH launch (next year sometime, late spring :D) and play the MLP theme song in the background during the launch so we can properly celebrate the coming of the unicorn.

She loves watching the landings so three will hopefully hold her attention.

2 minutes ago, regex said:

I'm gonna get my daughter for the FH launch (next year sometime, late spring :D) and play the MLP theme song in the background during the launch so we can properly celebrate the coming of the unicorn.

She loves watching the landings so three will hopefully hold her attention.

Probably won't catch all three of them.

Just now, sh1pman said:

Probably won't catch all three of them.

Two will happen almost simultaneously, the third will cut out like always. Which is fine, we can always replay barge landings later in 360.