SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

22 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

The sound of the cold gas thrusters might ruin the experience, though...

They're awesome if you're playing the 1812 Overture though. :)

23 hours ago, NSEP said:

This is extremely awesome.

Yes extremely cool, but It could also be extremely embarrassing. An long and wide skirt has an high chance of messing up in 0-g. 
Think the Marilyn Monroe grate scene but longer skirt and hands is busy playing. 

38 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Yes extremely cool, but It could also be extremely embarrassing. An long and wide skirt has an high chance of messing up in 0-g. 
Think the Marilyn Monroe grate scene but longer skirt and hands is busy playing. 

For that matter, how would you stay stable in the middle of a 0g concert hall? Maybe if you wore a harness and then used fans to blow the skirt backwards.

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

For that matter, how would you stay stable in the middle of a 0g concert hall? Maybe if you wore a harness and then used fans to blow the skirt backwards.

If we can put a big enough structure to be a zero-g concert hall in space, I think we can solve these minor engineering problems. -_-

13 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

If we can put a big enough structure to be a zero-g concert hall in space, I think we can solve these minor engineering problems. -_-

It's almost as if nobody's heard of leggings.

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Leggings?

sb2135a_black.jpg

There are probably many different ways to keep skirts in their in place, too.

Its not rocket science, the 'problems' of playing a violin with a big dress  are absolutely nothing compared to the probleme of the heatshielding, landing maneuvers, radiation, etc. You know, the stuff we are supposed to be discussing on this forum.

Edited by NSEP

It would be interesting to see how the action/reaction works. I just re-watched Chris Hadfield's version of "Space Oddity" and it only showed one little riff of free-floating guitar strumming, which didn't really show any reaction. I would imagine that any wind instruments would impart a bit of thrust. Gentle violin playing should be okay, but it would be interesting to see any rambunctious playing like the fiddling in "The Devil went down to Georgia"

A whole new brand of choreography to be figured out... Van Halen would have one heck of a "Jump"

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It would be interesting to see how the action/reaction works. I just re-watched Chris Hadfield's version of "Space Oddity" and it only showed one little riff of free-floating guitar strumming, which didn't really show any reaction. I would imagine that any wind instruments would impart a bit of thrust. Gentle violin playing should be okay, but it would be interesting to see any rambunctious playing like the fiddling in "The Devil went down to Georgia"

A whole new brand of choreography to be figured out... Van Halen would have one heck of a "Jump"

Hadfield commented in an interview that he had to hold the guitar from floating away when moving his hand, and that it made his sound sloppy. Although not much playing is shown in the video, all the guitar sound was recorded in space.

Edited by cubinator

6 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

I'm sure there's a way to play violin in space in a way that it's doable and comfortable enough. Maybe use a magnet or a velcro, or something.

If we can put 12 men on the moon with a bajillion times less processing power then the machine you're reading this on, then we can figure out how to play a violin in space.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Hadfield commented in an interview that he had to hold the guitar from floating away when moving his hand, and that it made his sound sloppy. Although not much playing is shown in the video, all the guitar sound was recorded in space.

Yeah, maybe a little more preparation, velcroing the guitar to his shirt. I saw a few seconds of free-floating strumming, and some other times where he had at least his feet anchored.

I wonder who will put up the first music and/or film studio in space: SpaceX or Bigelow. Apparently Bigelow still isn't launching a B330 until 2020 at least.

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I wonder who will put up the first music and/or film studio in space: SpaceX or Bigelow. Apparently Bigelow still isn't launching a B330 until 2020 at least.

I'd love to see (in the medium term when mass isn't as much of a problem) a BFS (or anything, really) with a permanent grand piano in front of the window.

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

As it seen this is done in the common space in an BFR upper stage against the panorama window, so its an in flight service / performance and so pretty realistic, has been on trains with random musicians having an show. 

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Indeed; fabric manipulation in unusual conditions is something of a solved problem.

Detail_of_Apollo_AS12-47-6897.png

Good point, thigh would not work outside of not showing underwear but some sort of stiffening would resolve it. 

Note I was thinking more of people doing an day in orbit trip and wanting to do cool stuff for likes but not planning everything out. (no NASA staff behind them), and yes if you had an swimming pool on an moon base you could run on water 

21 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I like that they call used boosters "flight-proven". When I get to sell my car, I'm going to call it "road-proven" or something like that.

Wait, a two month turnaround? :o Surely that's gotta be some kind of record, they never turned the Shuttle around that fast, did they?

ETA: Answered my own question, 54 days for Challenger is the record. :( If it goes up on the 29th, that would be 72 days from TESS. Shortest post-Challenger turnaround tho was 88 days.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

21 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I like that they call used boosters "flight-proven". When I get to sell my car, I'm going to call it "road-proven" or something like that.

As the car get mileage it also get XP and levels up, it causes it to use less fuel, take way more damage and is far more powerful. 

On the other hand an 2 month old part is far more reliable than one you unwrap. 

The bathtub graph for this is well document, after some use all the manufacturing defects / child diseases has shown up, at end of life wear and tear start taking it toll. 

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'd love to see (in the medium term when mass isn't as much of a problem) a BFS (or anything, really) with a permanent grand piano in front of the window.

Wait, I think we might be overlooking a slight problem...do piano keys even work in 0-g? If not, you would need to incorporate a spring into the hammer mechanism.

Also, I think a real piano would be awesome for morale, and an upright is only about 300 kg, so out of 150 t you could probably spare enough mass for at least an upright? That would be awesome to play the Blue Danube on! :D

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Wait, I think we might be overlooking a slight problem...do piano keys even work in 0-g? If not, you would need to incorporate a spring into the hammer mechanism.

Also, I think a real piano would be awesome for morale, and an upright is only about 300 kg, so out of 150 t you could probably spare enough mass for at least an upright? That would be awesome to play the Blue Danube on! :D

Ya, there would need to be some modifications. Shouldn't be too difficult. If 300kg is still too heavy, you could custom make one to be way lighter. The early Hindenburg flights carried a custom 162kg grand piano, the first piano to be carried on a passenger aircraft.  

7 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

"We're about to dock with the ISS"

"Oooh, quick! To the piano!"

*starts playing The Blue Danube, badly*

"Oh well. Makes a change from Knees Up Mother Brown..."

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Ya, there would need to be some modifications. Shouldn't be too difficult. If 300kg is still too heavy, you could custom make one to be way lighter. The early Hindenburg flights carried a custom 162kg grand piano, the first piano to be carried on a passenger aircraft.  

Or a speaker to play Despacito all the way through the mission, because from what i know all transportation methods here on Earth do that through all of their journey.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Or a speaker to play Despacito all the way through the mission, because from what i know all transportation methods here on Earth do that through all of their journey.

Or anything by The Cartoons. Just to make sure passangers go mad (instead of being annoyed) in less than 10 minutes.

So how much do they charge for a fligh-proven Dragon and a first stage? Same as if it was a new F9? They are probably making more money if that's the case.

I wonder what happens with LOP-G once people start flying on BFR. IIRC it will have a similar living volume to ISS and LOP-G will be smaller. So if BFR is operational they could use it instead.

Edited by Wjolcz