SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

14 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Also, Budweiser is sending an experiment on the Dragon to study Space Barley. :D

Are they going to try for a gimmicky beer now? NSP beat them to it (was pretty good too, despite being a typically Ninkasi "overhopped even for the PNW" beer).

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

"Particles" in the fuel system

"Unexpected system error. Memory adress 0x00000000".

4 hours ago, sh1pman said:

What kind of particles I wonder. And how they found their way to the fuel system. I guess we’ll never know. 

if programmers had such universal explanation for any case!

4 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

What kind of particles, I wonder? Dust? Soot? Leftover slag from a weld? Yellowcake? I guess we'll never know...

Mostly neutrons, but also some protons.

Edited by kerbiloid

18 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

What kind of particles, I wonder? Dust? Soot? Leftover slag from a weld? Yellowcake? I guess we'll never know...

A heavily chewed head of a barbie-doll along with assorted dried saliva, bits of a milk-bone, a small amount of dried cat blood and some cat hair and attached follicular cells.

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Mostly neutrons, but also some protons.

I find it hard to believe that this:

Image result for proton rocket launch

Fit in this:

Image result for falcon 9 stage 2

I mean, Protons are huge. I'm thinking we might have gotten some Electrons stuck instead.

Image result for electron rocket

Meanwhile in New Zealand...

Rocket Lab: Hey, I'd like to report a missing Electron.

Authorities: Okay, are you absolutely sure you lost an Electron?

Rocket Lab: Yeah, I'm positive!

Muratore said: “With lessons we learned at [LC-]39, we learned that 39 has been able to do the fastest turns we’ve done at SpaceX. We’ve looked at all the improvements we’ve put in 39—for blast protection. The dog houses, which are the enclosures, we put them on hold-downs. On the strongback/throwback, which is the mechanism by which at launch we start moving the strongback away from the rocket so that it doesn’t get toasted by the rocket as it flies out, we have a really augmented water system because we found that a lot of water really protects the pad. And then we’ve obviously had to put in a lot of provisions to protect all the equipment on the pad from all the water we put on there. The most exciting thing for us is that we put in the flame trench—we’ve always struggled with erosion of the concrete in the flame trench—and we’ve gone and reworked the concrete many times on both pads. We put a water-cooled diverter on this pad. It consists of pipes running down the pad, and we run a large amount of water through it, and that enables long static-fires without any damage to the pad. And that’s critical to our rapid flight strategy.

“It’s critical in two ways: the obvious one is if you don’t take damage on the pad, you can fly more often; but the not-so-obvious one is as we reuse rockets more and more, we’ll run into problems where we have to change an engine out, just as they change engines out in airplane hangars. With the water-cooled diverter, we can run very long static fires, so we can change an engine out, take it to the pad, and run for much longer periods of time. For our very first time out, we ran seven seconds, which is pretty much the longest we’ve run on any pad. And so that enables us to be able to do all the work we need to do whenever we turn a rocket or do maintenance on the rocket to really make sure it’s good for flight. That’s a really important technology improvement we’ve put in.”

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/space-exploration-technologies/muratore-safety-efficiency-went-hand-in-hand-rebuild-slc-40/

19 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Delayed a month again?  If th dry fire is in Jan, then the launch won't be until Feb.  

You have to make sure that the launch pad and/or the rocket does not blow up first, if that all goes well they can do a launch.

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

Delayed a month again?  If th dry fire is in Jan, then the launch won't be until Feb.  

Did you not read the tweet? The launch is January, it's supposed to be moving to the pad this month for static fires.

Edited by tater

From the NASA press kit:

SpaceX is targeting launch of its thirteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-13) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. The instantaneous launch window is on Friday, December 15 at 10:36 a.m. EST, or 15:36 UTC. Dragon will separate from Falcon 9’s second stage about 10 minutes after liftoff and attach to the space station on Sunday, December 17.

9 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Hmm, it’s been a month without any new FH delays. This is suspicious. What are they up to?

Prepping the warp core, finding a suitable CD and doing Elon's makeup. I've seen this one before...

Edit - you don't actually believe that crazy 'gonna shoot my car into space' cover story do you? :)

Edited by KSK