SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I set time stamp to start where they talk about SpaceX. Not much new here. Engines going on orbital SH/SS in the next few weeks. Expecting to make 1 set of ship/booster per month by end of year (vs 2 months now).

SpaceX has ~12,000 employees.

Edited by tater

Remember Zuma? It was a highly classified satellite of an unspecified US agency and not flying under any specific launch program (for us in the public at least), which despite a successful launch on a Falcon 9 in early 2018 supposedly didn't separate from the payload adapter that Northrop built for it and reentered in the atmosphere a few days later still attached to the second stage. This odd event, together with the extreme secrecy of the project (even its existance wasn't known until less than a month before its original launch date), naturally caused conspiracy theories to spread left and right on internet, with the most widespread one being that the satellite's purpose was testing a stealth system to satellites from being seen in any way from the ground and that it did complete its mission.

I'm bringing this up today because a new piece of the puzzle has come out: NRO has in fact just recognised Zuma, intentionally or not, as a (present or past) satellite of their fleet
3Ihf8qe.jpg

This only increases the questions about the payload: NRO has its own launch program, NROL, of which Zuma wasn't recognised as being part of for more than four years; this is especially odd considering that NROL missions had started flying on Falcon 9s a year before Zuma. What was on the satellite that was so secret that couldn't even be declared to be part of your own launch program of secret satellites?

Edited by Beccab

Also, there's a section in the Decadal Strategy for Planetary Science and Astrobiology (which came out today) about Starship, and which recommends NASA begins planning immediatly for science missions that take advantage of Starships test flights beyond LEO which "could be much different than those designed for traditional NASA flight opportunities with their stringent mass and volume constraints."
unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

There's also this bit here, many pages later:
unknown.png
Am I wrong to think that "high energy launch capability, or its equivalent" refers to orbital refueling considering the mentions in the rest of the paragraph?

Edited by Beccab

Sorry for triple posting, but there's another spacex related part of the decadal survey: the Uranus orbiter and probe, probably the most important and likely to be followed suggestion of the study, is baselined on Falcon Heavy

Assuming the design is accepted and FH selected, I doubt NASA will accept switching vehicle with Starship for one of the most important flagship mission ever; this means that by 2032 it could be one of the last FH launches before retirement

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Sorry for triple posting, but there's another spacex related part of the decadal survey: the Uranus orbiter and probe, probably the most important and likely to be followed suggestion of the study, is baselined on Falcon Heavy

That is an extremely Kerbal-looking space probe. :D Are those a couple of FL-T200s?

Curious how they rise to the challenge of naming this thing without eliciting muted giggles from the back row... <_<

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That is an extremely Kerbal-looking space probe. :D Are those a couple of FL-T200s?

Curious how they rise to the challenge of naming this thing without eliciting muted giggles from the back row... <_<

What's so giggle-inducing about "Uranus Probe"?

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Assuming the design is accepted and FH selected, I doubt NASA will accept switching vehicle with Starship for one of the most important flagship mission ever; this means that by 2032 it could be one of the last FH launches before retirement

Crowd Cheering Hype GIF - Crowd Cheering Crowd Hype - Discover & Share GIFs

A surprise to be sure but a (very) welcome one :)

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

By getting the giggles out of our systems now, of course…

Then get it out of our systems we will, so without further ado...

URANUS ORBITER?!?!?! HAHAHAHA so funny & KINDA SUS DON'T YOU THINK?!?!?!

Stream Amogus meme by Craftmaks | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Jokes aside, I'm already getting Cassini flashbacks & it was only just recommended lmao.

Spoiler

Here have a nice Cassini image from one of the final orbits, I wonder what a photo like this would be like at Uranus:

How Long Is a Day on Saturn? Cassini Is Racing to Find Out in Its Final  Months | Space

Also PLEASE tell me this thing will get a better name if it comes to be, naming a rocket "Space Launch System" is pretty bad but the current name would just be plain disgusting :P 

Edited by Minmus Taster

A great deal of content regarding lunar mining has been moved over here:

Guys, we know that a thread like this will spur a lot of other conversation, but once it gets past a couple of posts, please move it over to another thread, especially after a nudge from a moderator.

Please continue the mining conversation over there.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Also PLEASE tell me this thing will get a better name if it comes to be, naming a rocket "Space Launch System" is pretty bad but the current name would just be plain disgusting

Let's call it "Mega Uranus Probe", it worked for SLS

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

With all the SLS analogies - if applicable - Uranus won't get probed for a long time 

Well, 20+ years is kinda the best case scenario right now anyway, so... :unsure:

Someone born this year could conceivably be an intern on the team when it actually gets there.  :confused:

But then again... say this gets switched to Starship...

How fast could it conceivably get to Uranus with a 100-tonne braking stage lobbed by a fully-fueled Starship?

15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Someone born this year could conceivably be an intern on the team when it actually gets there.  :confused:

You don't even need the timescales of an outer solar system mission to get this same effect!

I was really disappointed when I had to face the reality that space stuff takes a long, long time. In elementary school I read a book talking about NASA's plans for a moon base by the year 2020. Back when I was first starting to get into space, I remeber back in high school I read about the SLS EM-1 launching in 2018 or something and I was so excited but bummed out because it was still a long time away! Same with Falcon Heavy, although it is up and running now. Even much later when I knew a decent amount of space but was still optimistic and naive, I may have actually believed those early Starship dates for a minute or two.

And now here I am, halfway through an engineering degree, and assuming I make it through and can get a job in the space industry, I could be working on one of those things I was so excited for in high school, still frustrated that it's taking so long.

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

You don't even need the timescales of an outer solar system mission to get this same effect!

I was really disappointed when I had to face the reality that space stuff takes a long, long time. In elementary school I read a book talking about NASA's plans for a moon base by the year 2020. Back when I was first starting to get into space, I remeber back in high school I read about the SLS EM-1 launching in 2018 or something and I was so excited but bummed out because it was still a long time away! Same with Falcon Heavy, although it is up and running now. Even much later when I knew a decent amount of space but was still optimistic and naive, I may have actually believed those early Starship dates for a minute or two.

And now here I am, halfway through an engineering degree, and assuming I make it through and can get a job in the space industry, I could be working on one of those things I was so excited for in high school, still frustrated that it's taking so long.

Yeah, someone needs to mod the Matrix to include a “Warp to…” button…