KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

11 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

So do I need Persistent Rotation enabled for the Behemoth to work? How do you keep it aimed at the sun?

Yes, you going to need persistent rotation, in Solar rotation mode, combined vessel stabilization, it works realy well..

Oh, and do not forget what Deadalus told his son, Icarus, don't get carried away and fly too close to the sun, the wax will melt! :wink:

Note there is a weird stock bug that manifest when flying very close to the sun, which will cause the vessel to heat up to high temperature if you warm down too fast, the trick is to slowly increase and decrease timewarp.

Edited by FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

I am spinning and wobbling all over the place... with little to no control!  Jettisoning shrouds causes violet shaking and I am surprised the ship didn't far apart. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, you should install this:

Notice you need deploy and to put the thermal receiver in radiator mode and active cooling

[imgur=Kcb7d]

To get into a lower orbit, first aim the ship directly at the sun and rotate around axis until engine aims retrogate, the active , at throttle at lowest possible throttle use maximum Isp (100000s). Then carefully time accelerate, make sure you the orbit doesn't get too elliptical or you might burn up...

Edited by FreeThinker

37 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice ypu need deploy and to put the thermal receiver in radiator mode and active cooling

http://imgur.com/a/Kcb7d

Ok, after installing the joint mod, the snake wobble stopped. I think I am even using SAS and Persistent Rotation correctly, because when time warping the mirror seems to stay pointed at the sun, after first using SAS to point to radial in. However, I do this all in an orbit 10 times higher than the screenshot you show. When I match the orbit you have, it all seems to work for a while and then overheats and explodes :(  Do I need the cooling automated, as well as on? Am I missing a step after unwrapping the thermal receiver, turning on cooling, activating the mirror, making sure I am persistently pointed at the sun, and then turning on the transmitter?

Edit:  OH! There is a separate button the sets the mode of the thermal receiver! I didn't see it before.

Edited by zanie420

8 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

Ok, after installing the joint mod, the snake wobble stopped. I think I am even using SAS and Persistent Rotation correctly, because when time warping the mirror seems to stay pointed at the sun, after first using SAS to point to radial in. However, I do this all in an orbit 10 times higher than the screenshot you show. When I match the orbit you have, it all seems to work for a while and then overheats and explodes :(  Do I need the cooling automated, as well as on? Am I missing a step after unwrapping the thermal receiver, turning on cooling, activating the mirror, making sure I am persistently pointed at the sun, and then turning on the transmitter?

I think it would be easier if disable the reactor, than you cannot accidentally get in a too elliptical orbit

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

I think it would be easier if disable the reactor, than you cannot accidentally get in a too elliptical orbit

Good tip. I don't know how many times I've failed to shutdown an engine and accidentally burned when unintended! Anyways, I THINK I have the solar station up and running/transmitting. I just need to see if I can receive back at Kerbin. What is the optimal setup? Multiple solar stations in orbit of the sun? One station and 3 relays? What do you have going Freethinker?

3 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

Good tip. I don't know how many times I've failed to shutdown an engine and accidentally burned when unintended! Anyways, I THINK I have the solar station up and running/transmitting. I just need to see if I can receive back at Kerbin. What is the optimal setup? Multiple solar stations in orbit of the sun? One station and 3 relays? What do you have going Freethinker?

CUrrently, the best strategy would probably to use the smallest available wavelength, extreme ultra violet, later on, I intend to create a feature which allows you transmit power more efficiently using relays in highly elliptic orbits. It technically allows you to electrify the entire solar system.

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

CUrrently, the best strategy would probably to use the smallest available wavelength, extreme ultra violet, later on, I intend to create a feature which allows you transmit power more efficiently using relays in highly elliptic orbits. It technically allows you to electrify the entire solar system.

So to get the power back to Kerbin, I need to use UV? I gather then that my receiver back at Kerbin needs to set to pick up UV. I have a minimal microwave network up currently. Do I need to redo it all, or can they be joined/adapted/augmented?

Basically, now that I have it up and running, how do I get the most out of the 73% of the 50Gw the transmitter is sending out?

24 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

So to get the power back to Kerbin, I need to use UV? I gather then that my receiver back at Kerbin needs to set to pick up UV. I have a minimal microwave network up currently. Do I need to redo it all, or can they be joined/adapted/augmented?

Basically, now that I have it up and running, how do I get the most out of the 73% of the 50Gw the transmitter is sending out?

Not only that but preferably you use the biggest receiver available near kerbin. It will also help to scale up the transmitting dish on the solar  power station

Edit:

Let's calculate spot size using

extreme UV :  13 500 000 000 m * 0.000000013 / 20 = 8.775 m which  can be collected by a multi wavelength medium dish

vacuum UV :  13 500 000 000 m * 0.00000011  / 20 = 74.25 m which can be collected using either oversized thermal receiver

Edited by FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Not only that but preferably you use the biggest receiver available near kerbin. It will also help to scale up the transmitting dish on the solar  power station

NOW, he tells me! LOL

I can't get a UV relay to work, there is no "Activate relay" button in flight

bCdoJ5S.png

(I can get it to work with action keys) and relay parts don't transmit in UV or visible light at all when I do get them to work.

And can you walk me through step by stem on how to use the "link receiver" button please? I'm stuck on this mechanic for days...

Just now, Charon Moloch said:

I can't get a UV relay to work, there is no "Activate relay" button in flight

bCdoJ5S.png

(I can get it to work with action keys) and relay parts don't transmit in UV or visible light at all when I do get them to work.

And can you walk me through step by stem on how to use the "link receiver" button please? I'm stuck on this mechanic for days...

Yes the link receiver function is a bit oblique. I am also in need understanding.

12 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

Yes the link receiver function is a bit oblique. I am also in need understanding.

On dishes, relay only works if you used another part to first receive the incomming signal using the "link up" button. So in order to lay you need at least 2 dishes. Phased arrays can do everything with only one part

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

On dishes, relay only works if you used another part to first receive the incomming signal using the link up button. So in order to lay you need at least 2 dishes. Phased arrays can do everything with only one part

of course, each word of the part's name means something, and the second dish, the transmitter one, it needs a beam generator right?

6 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

of course, each word of the part's name means something, and the second dish, the transmitter one, it needs a beam generator right?

no it should not be necessary, the signal is treated as pure beam which is only mirrored using dishes, there is some signal loss, but minimal, in the future you will also be able to either pump as beam generator (allowing you to convert it to another wavelength),  or combine it with the power from another beam generator

Edited by FreeThinker

Hmmm... so I have my station transmitting on far UV. It is high noon on the Kerbin launchpad, and I have a craft with a multi-bandwidth transceiver. As I switch bands, I can pickup my microwave network, but not the UV.  I know my solar station has line of site to Kerbin and I can see the sun above me. What could be my issue?

2 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

Hmmm... so I have my station transmitting on far UV. It is high noon on the Kerbin launchpad, and I have a craft with a multi-bandwidth transceiver. As I switch bands, I can pickup my microwave network, but not the UV.  I know my solar station has line of site to Kerbin and I can see the sun above me. What could be my issue?

Have you adjusted the receiving wavelength to UV?

Just now, VASMIR said:

So how do I burn off 15 KM/S after exiting warp?  I'm starting a series on the forums that involves a lot of jumping to warp, so is there a way to burn off the speed without using too much fuel?

Quantum Vacuum Thruster!

Other than this, try to jump out of warp as closer as you can to the target body. If you can't slow down enough, make a little jump closer to the planet and begin to thrust again.

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Have you adjusted the receiving wavelength to UV?

Transmitter is set to far UV

I cycle through all wavelengths on the launchpad. I am picking up power on the extreme UV and visible light spectrum, which show a different source max power than microwave. Maybe I am getting connected to the solar station? I have yet scale up the transmitter and redeploy the station however.

@zanie420 Yes it works:

First our transmitter is configured:

Fl3ekBJ.png

Note the effective beamed power equals 30% of 50 GW = 15 GW

When received by the oversized thermal receiver:

VMuFS5Z.png

When received Multi wavelength Dish tuned to the correct bandwidth (Far Ultra Violet)

NNx4Zvl.png

Notice the spot-size is 72.6m, this means you can easily maximize power transfer (in far ultraviolet) by simply using 40m diameter transmitter and 40 m diameter multi bandwidth receiver

Edited by FreeThinker

So @FreeThinkerI asked this earlier and may have missed your reply, not sure; why is it enough for intakes to be present for air breathing engines, but they don't care about the open/closed status of the intakes?  Is that intentional or a bug?

Reproduce: create a craft with intakes and an engine in atmospheric mode like the thermal turbojet.  Close intakes.  Throttle up. Still works as if they were open..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.