FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.23.8 Continued Development Thread

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, there is a hack for that.

Working, only had time now...

Thank you for the help/info/fix I will use it on some old designs , I will started making planes with liquid only and not bad (still lack the power has before on LFO but still good ( wen in doubt use more rockets heheheheh )

My point is, if is a new idea its ok, just makes us make better machines, and besides thinking about it you are right, (the engines don't really need the oxidizer and makes more heat) so don't you worry.

Thank you and best regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, totos_totidis said:

I think i have a bug that makes all my techs not upgraded eaven though i am playing in sandbox. Could anyone help?

Career and Sandbox games are th same except everything is reseached and no limit on credits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, totos_totidis said:

I think i have a bug that makes all my techs not upgraded eaven though i am playing in sandbox. Could anyone help?

This can be caused by 64bit sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've submitted a pull request with a recommendation on SETI and power usage that hopefully looks good.  I've also figured out my issue with the lithium radial can:

It looks like all the other hex cans have an attachment rules of 1,1,1,1,0.  The lithium can has "attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0".  The second bit allows surface mounting, which is what I was trying to do.  I was also wondering if the can should actually draw power since lithium doesn't actually melt until its temperature exceeds 180C.  Even with full solar exposure it would have to be heated, not to mention if it's in shadow.  It might be interesting if the can acted more like a cryo tank except instead of boiling off it just stopped providing fuel if power ran out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

This can be caused by 64bit sometimes.

 

Quote

Career and Sandbox games are th same except everything is reseached and no limit on credits

 

Yes but i am not using 64 bit and my parts seem not to be upgraded.

Edited by totos_totidis
how do i quote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, totos_totidis said:

Yes but i am not using 64 bit and my parts seem not to be upgraded.

What tech tree are you using? It needs to be a Community Tech Tree Compatible tech tree or the tech check might all fail

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RzTen1 said:

I've submitted a pull request with a recommendation on SETI and power usage that hopefully looks good.  I've also figured out my issue with the lithium radial can:

It looks like all the other hex cans have an attachment rules of 1,1,1,1,0.  The lithium can has "attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0".  The second bit allows surface mounting, which is what I was trying to do.  I was also wondering if the can should actually draw power since lithium doesn't actually melt until its temperature exceeds 180C.  Even with full solar exposure it would have to be heated, not to mention if it's in shadow.  It might be interesting if the can acted more like a cryo tank except instead of boiling off it just stopped providing fuel if power ran out.

Thanks. I think I will also add Lithium to other tanks as it will become a important propellant for fusion propulsion

What is interesting is that I read that aluminum could also be used as an alternative for lithium when used as a propellant,,  which is great as aluminum  stuff is much  cheaper and easier to be found in the wild.like on our own moon

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Thanks. I think I will also add Lithium to other tanks as it will become a important propellant for fusion propulsion

What is interesting is that I read that aluminum could also be used as an alternative for lithium when used as a propellant,,  which is great as aluminum  stuff is much  cheaper and easier to be found in the wild.like on our own moon

Aluminum would be a pretty interesting propellant.  I think it'd make even more sense to have some sort of hot-tank for it as the melting point is quite a bit higher than lithium.  Plus, it'd be interesting to have something generate wasteheat that wasn't an engine or reactor/generator.

Btw, that new engine is pretty awesome looking.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you have any guide (or a quick description) of how your radiator module works? I'm trying to make some inline powered heat pumps to convert physical heat to waste heat, and then waste heat to physical heat. also to radiate waste heat based on air flow etc, etc.
not sure if this question belongs here~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rushligh said:

do you have any guide (or a quick description) of how your radiator module works? I'm trying to make some inline powered heat pumps to convert physical heat to waste heat, and then waste heat to physical heat. also to radiate waste heat based on air flow etc, etc.
not sure if this question belongs here~

Well the best source would be the KSPI source code it self but in short, engines and reactors generate wasteheat resource, which every radiator eat up based on wasteheat saturation, surface area and maximum radiator temperature.

One way we could improve it is by making the Radiators, convert part of the wasteheat into stock heat, measure its heat dispation, and apply similar reduction to wasteheat. The advantage would be a more accurate dissipation simulation where radiators are effected by the sun, bodies and each other.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've tried that my making an irsu that uses MW and waste heat as a resource and offputs physical heat: it does NOT work. the reactor compensates after a few seconds and the change in waste heat (as acceleration) remains the same. i've also tried mucking with an older cooling pump design that uses electricity to generate a resource that acts as an ablator: it actually causes the surrounding tanks to over heat twice as fast! there's something weird with KSP's heat system. i've even tried making a part extremely high heat tolerance (over a billion)and connecting another part to it with the same heat tolerance and such high heat conductivity that it SHOULD suck all the heat out of a vessel... NOPE. instead whatever is creating heat seems to compensate and the entire craft goes critical due to the sudden accumulation of heat. it's not exclusively KSPI, it seems that heat generated by parts is actually treated different from environmental heat (atmosphere or sun). whatever creates the heat automatically adjusts to compensate for any non-radiator parts trying to remove heat. the same can be said for waste heat (though i believe that's intentional)

The closest i've been able to making ANYTHING work is putting the module from the inline radiator (with tweaked stats) in with a MK2 Precooler. it seems the flow of air significantly helps.

My test part for heat/waste heat generation is a custom engine: i put the thermal hybrid jet into the OPT mk2 j-61 engine, and kept the OPT Atmosphere curve and mach curve; it produces more thrust and gets exponentially hotter the faster it goes (8 of them can get a 1 mega tone ship into orbit, its scary). using an omega reactor for power/waste heat.

My goal was to create 3 parts : a pump to physically cool engines with MW and subtract a constant amount  of waste heat while converting physical heat into waste heat (and being a thermal energy conductor), a part to convert waste heat into physical heat at a lower amount with minor electric charge so that attached radiators can dispense it better (wing tip fuselage like), and a part that works like the thermal engine- venting waste heat and physical heat at the cost of a small electric charge and intake air (also acts as an arcjet rcs for atm)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balancing stock heat and wasteheat is indeed tricky, it quicky spirals out of control. In KSPI-E I managed to control the engine heat with a cooling effect which becomes stronger the higher the temperature becomes. This ensures that the engine start to overheat , but never becomes critical (unless clogged or over saturated wasteheate, sabotaged by other mods that change heat effects like Deadly Reentry). This is actualy the key mechansim which also applies the wasteheat meachnsim at a whole, you cannot possibly create a wasteheat system with constant conversion process, it either becomes to much or insignificant and therefore is impossble to balance.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Balancing stock heat and wasteheat is indeed tricky, it quicky spirals out of control. In KSPI-E I managed to control the engine heat with a cooling effect which becomes stronger the higher the temperature becomes. This ensures that the engine start to overheat , but never becomes critical (unless clogged or over saturated wasteheate, sabotaged by other mods that change heat effects like Deadly Reentry). This is actualy the key mechansim which also applies the wasteheat meachnsim at a whole, you cannot possibly create a wasteheat system with constant conversion process, it either becomes to much or insignificant and therefore is impossble to balance.

It may seem counter intuitive, but after a few more tests, it seems sticking the inline KSPI radiator into a precooler with intakes makes for SIGNIFICANT performance boosts on atmospheric thermal engines. in the case of hybrids, i tried using that ablative IRSU trick, but instead used Water (IF) and it worked as long as the ship was in space (in atmosphere is made surrounding parts go keblewie). i could keep full throttle in both cases without catastrophic melt down. the engines took care of the waste heat while operational, and the inline radiator seemed to do a good enough job of dispersing heat when the engines were off. I didn't even use other radiators (ok, i had some wings).

This is what i have so far, and so far it works VERY well.
 

Spoiler

 

PART
{
    name = M2X_PrecoolerHeatPump
    module = Part
    author = Rushlight/SuicidalInsanity
    rescaleFactor = 1
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.9924071, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.074199, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
    TechRequired = hypersonicFlight
    entryCost = 6200
    cost = 1650
    category = Aero
    subcategory = 0
    title = Mk2 Precooler and Heat Pump
    manufacturer = King of kool
    description = Ever want to keep your atmospheric thermal engines for catastrophically mealting? well you need this

little gadget. It acts as a cool air intake and precooler to provide atmosphere for your engines, a high power radiator and

thermal bridge for your reactor, and a cooling unit for those pesky "there's no air in space" moments. WARNING warenty void

if cooling unit used in atmosphere
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
    mass = 0.22
    dragModelType = default
    thermalMassModifier = 1
    emissiveConstant = 0.95
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 40
    maxTemp = 3100 // = 3200
    fuelCrossFeed = True
    bulkheadProfiles = mk2
    MODEL
    {
        model = Mk2Expansion/Parts/Aero/Precooler/Model
        texture = mk2FuselageShort, Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageShort/mk2FuselageShort
        texture = Nacelle, Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/JumpJet/Nacelle
    }


    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLiftingSurface
        useInternalDragModel = False
        deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.25
        dragAtMaxAoA = 0.15
        dragAtMinAoA = 0.1
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleActiveRadiator
        maxEnergyTransfer = 250000
        overcoolFactor = 2
        isCoreRadiator = true
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 15
        {
        RESOURCE
        }
            name = IntakeAir
            rate = 2
        }
    }
MODULE
{
    name = ThermalPowerTransport
    thermalCost = 0.25
}
MODULE
{
    name = StackFNRadiator
    isDeployable = false
    convectiveBonus = 20
    radiatorTemp = 970
    radiatorArea = 175
    originalName = NaK Loop Radiator
    upgradeCost = 10
    upgradedName = Mo Li Heat Pipe
    upgradedRadiatorArea = 220
    upgradedRadiatorTemp = 1600
    upgradeTechReq = specializedConstruction
    partMass = 0.5
}
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = IntakeAir
        amount = 1
        maxAmount = 1
    }
MODULE
    {
         name = ModuleResourceConverter
         ConverterName = Inboard Cooling Unit
         StartActionName = Activate Cooling Unit
         StopActionName = Shutdown Cooling Unit
         FillAmount = 10.0
        AutoShutdown = false
        GeneratesHeat = false
        UseSpecialistBonus = false
 
        
         INPUT_RESOURCE
         {
            ResourceName = ElectricCharge
            Ratio = 300
            FlowMode = ALL_VESSEL
         }
         OUTPUT_RESOURCE
         {
            ResourceName = Water
            Ratio = 25
            DumpExcess = true
         }
    }
MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAblator
        ablativeResource = Water
        lossExp = -900
        lossConst = 0.06
        pyrolysisLossFactor = 10000
        ablationTempThresh = 300
        charMin = 1.0
        charMax = 1.0
                
    }
RESOURCE
    {
        name = Water
        amount = 550
        maxAmount = 550
        isTweakable = false
        hideFlow = false
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleResourceIntake
        resourceName = IntakeAir
        checkForOxygen = False
        area = 0.01
        intakeSpeed = 10
        intakeTransformName = Intake
}

}

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Rushligh
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I've been working on an improved nuclear engine for stock for a while, but can't figure out how to have more than two fuel types. I know the engines in KSPI have multiple fuel modes. Is there any way I could do that without having to spend hours studying the confusing KSPI code? Stock is easy. KSPI is hard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Hey, I've been working on an improved nuclear engine for stock for a while, but can't figure out how to have more than two fuel types. I know the engines in KSPI have multiple fuel modes. Is there any way I could do that without having to spend hours studying the confusing KSPI code? Stock is easy. KSPI is hard

Sorry, not right now, but I do plan add  a engine fuel switch to the universal fuel switch, which allow you switch between any combination of fuels.

6 hours ago, keys72 said:

Can kerosene be mined using the ISRU somehow?

 

Sorry, RP-1 is not supported yet. Try real IRSU

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does it make sense that two 90-part spaceplanes would have very different effects on framerate based on the number of reactors?  A plane with a single reactor affects frame rate far less than a plane with four... does the reactor modeling really make that big of a difference/should it make that big of a difference?  Or is it something else causing the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, silly question. I just updated KSPI and there seems to be a problem, which have the tech I have unlocked on the tech tree just locked. When I load a craft with these parts, it says it's locked and can't launch. When I look at the tech tree the box is unlocked.

is there a fix for this? Oh I play with CTT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@EnigmaG

I have a similar problem like seeker89.

since i change to 1.6.9. 

some parts are avaible in sandbox mode but not in science or career mode. For example the collider experiment.

but it looks strange. in a old save game it is visible in the tech tree but not in VAB. already existing ships with the collider are also working but I can't build new. 

in sandbox mode all looks fine. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, OnkelUhu said:

@EnigmaG

I have a similar problem like seeker89.

since i change to 1.6.9. 

some parts are avaible in sandbox mode but not in science or career mode. For example the collider experiment.

but it looks strange. in a old save game it is visible in the tech tree but not in VAB. already existing ships with the collider are also working but I can't build new. 

in sandbox mode all looks fine. 

 

 

Unfortunatly, the collider experiment is broken. It contains more than 255 polygons and KSP 1.0.5. My guess it was to prepare for Unity 5. Until a artist created my a replacement, I have no other choice than to disable it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1.7.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-03-28

  • Added Magneto Inertial Fusion Rocket Engine (Artist nli2work)
  • Added Tokamak Engine, which Combines Fusion Reactor with integrated Magnetic Nozzle (Credits for SilverSilver for re-texture)
  • Added XI Fusion Reactor which combines a Magnetic Confinement Reactor with Direct Energy Converter
  • Added Half Size Wrap Radiator (Artist PorkJet)
  • Added 4 additional tech-level to Interstellar Radiators which are unlock by CTT heat management tech nodes
  • Moved initial ViSTA engine to exotic fusion
  • Improve Compatibility with Navigation tools like MechJeb and Better Burn prediction (Thanks to RxTen1)
  • Increased Isp of open cycle Gas Core Reactor and ability to maintain contanment at low  acceleration
  • Increased Maximum WArp speed to 1000 time speed of light
  • Thermal Nozzle with Isp higher than 3000s will function as a magnetic nozzle and therefore will not be effective withing atmospheres
  • Science Lab now requires Megawatt power to convert science data into research data
  • Mass Energy Generator depends on Power output reactor and Technology
  • Direct Energy Converter now requires High Tech Electric Systems to be unlocked
  • Increased Volume Fusion Reactor, Increased Mass and Reduced Initial Power Output
  • Fusion Reactors now has up to 5 tech-levels
  • Merged Dumbo and Solid Core Reactor (NERVA) which now has 5 tech levels
  • Reduced Initial Power Output Pebble Bed Reactor but added 2 additional tech levels
  • Fusion Mode proton-Boron11 now required Exotic Fusion Tech
  • Darkened Wrapped Radiators
Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26-3-2016 at 8:58 PM, Seeker89 said:

Hmm, silly question. I just updated KSPI and there seems to be a problem, which have the tech I have unlocked on the tech tree just locked. When I load a craft with these parts, it says it's locked and can't launch. When I look at the tech tree the box is unlocked.

is there a fix for this? Oh I play with CTT.

Sometimes parts are radicaly changed. Therefore these part are replaced by new versions, but the old ones cannot be build if you use an old ship config, you have to replace the obsolete part by a new version

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if there exists a config for the ISRU to let it harvest resources from RSS planets? It would be so fitting to use this mod with RSS, especially with there now being an add-on that adds new, real star systems to RSS at mega big diatances (like over 100 lightyears). If there's no such thing, I might have to consider making one myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.