KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

48 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What you are experiencing are the effects of Neutron Embrittlement which on earth is nasty but for space based reactors it's worse because they are build to be lightweight and therefore suffer more, It also serves as a game balance mechanic which promotes the usage o partial a-neutronic fuels  like D-He3 or full neutronic p-B which although less powerful, becomes important for long duration missions. Note that in the future I do plan to allow you to repair the engines based on the amount and level of kerbal engeneers

Oh, that explains it. Haha, I didn't know this mod were so complex, but I love it : D Thanks alot for the answer! You saved my day

12 hours ago, gajbooks said:

Electric thermal generators overheat immediately and require overkill-level radiators to keep above 2 GW for full power of a VASIMR engine with any sort of fission reactor. Fusion reactors are affected less.

What is your radiator tech level? Note that radiator tech is now important to get rid of wasteheat

41 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What is your radiator tech level? Note that radiator tech is now important to get rid of wasteheat

I'm playing in sandbox so I assume they should be maximum level. All of them except the radial and inline ones read as Graphene Radiator Mk 2, and the others are NaK Loop Radiators.

(Another random thing I just found that isn't really a practical problem, is that hacking radiators into space with HyperEdit doesn't cause the Power Convected to reset)

Edited by gajbooks

2.5 meters Antimatter Reactor's output is 340kW and Warp Drive require ~2000mW energy. What is rong I didn't get does reactor's output is too small or Warp Drive require too much or it is a bug?

The other fussion reactors have the same issue but fission reactors work fine.

Edit:

I made a test system that have all reactors in it and all of them work fine except 2 antimatter reactor. Here is the image:

Spoiler

z0VG15r.png

Edited by TheHacker000

6 hours ago, TheHacker000 said:

2.5 meters Antimatter Reactor's output is 340kW and Warp Drive require ~2000mW energy. What is rong I didn't get does reactor's output is too small or Warp Drive require too much or it is a bug?

The other fussion reactors have the same issue but fission reactors work fine.

Edit:

I made a test system that have all reactors in it and all of them work fine except 2 antimatter reactor. Here is the image:

Reveal hidden contents

z0VG15r.png

If you have nearfuture propulsion installed, you need to delete the nearfuture mode cfg in Interstellar's patch folders.

18 minutes ago, lagcity613 said:

If you have nearfuture propulsion installed, you need to delete the nearfuture mode cfg in Interstellar's patch folders.

Thank you first of all but I have added thee zero end of the fusion reactor outputs 5 minutes ago and they are working fine.

In EnginePropellants.cfg:

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT
{
    atomType = 2
    atomType = 1

name = LqdHelium

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT
{
    atomType = 16
    atomType = 1
    name = LqdNitrogen

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT
{
    atomType = 128
    atomType = 2
    name = Argon

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT
{
    atomType = 256
    atomType = 2
    name = XenonGas

Probably, one of them is propType.

Also, is it Argon, not ArgonGas?

In ReactorFuels.cfg:

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
    name = FissionUF6
    GUIName = Uranium Hexafluoride
    FUEL
    {
        name = UraniumNitride

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
        name = FusionDDCatHe

PRODUCT
    {
        name = LqdHelium
        UsagePerMW = 2.432141142857-12 (missed "E")

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
        name = FusionDDCatT
       (3 products: He4, He3, H, while in the first post reference table there's no H)

Edited by kerbiloid

Version 1.7.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-04-03

• Added Interstellar Wrapped Tanks which can be ejected, ideal for launches
  • Added Curved Graphite Radiators and Edge
  • Fixed some log error message in VAB
  • Depending on Nozzle type, Antimatter reactor will perform either as Gas Core or Plasma Antimatter reactor
  • Balance: Reduced Antimatter reactor maximum problem
  • Improved Antimatter Fuel Efficiency from 21% to 30%
  • Improved responsiveness Thermal Launch nozzle
Edited by FreeThinker

On 31.3.2016 at 10:26 AM, FreeThinker said:

It seems I have mixed up the Magneti Intertial Fusion Engine with the Inertial Confinement Fusion Reactor. The reason why you probably are not recieving any thrust is because the reactor temperature is too high. It causes the nozzle to operate as a magnetic nozzle, which will not work well in atmosphere. To fix it, you can lower the reactor core ReactorTemp to 3000

Now in 1.7.3 it works in atmosphere but only accepts lithium as full.

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In ReactorFuels.cfg:

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
    name = FissionUF6
    GUIName = Uranium Hexafluoride
    FUEL
    {
        name = UraniumNitride

FissionUF6  is used by the Gas Core Reactors. They require a pump-able fuel source and UraniumNitride is currently the only only one capable of doing this. 

I agree this might be confusng, not sure if I should implement some uranium feeding meachnism or introduce a new nuclear resource

Edited by FreeThinker

18 hours ago, Wandersen said:

On SpaceDock Interstellar Extended ersion 1.7.2 is marked as a ksp version 1.1 mod but  Curse its marked as a ksp version 1.0.5 mod it dont know if its intentional but it is a bit confusing.

Btw love the mod its awesome :)

It was something unintended, 1.0.5 is the correct version. I had forgotten it always assumes latest version, even if it in't reased yet ...

Edited by FreeThinker

On 1.4.2016 at 9:37 PM, MaxRebo said:

[EXC 20:51:58.512] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.UpdateValueDisplay (Single newValue)
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.OnValueChanged (Single newValue)
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.UpdateItem ()
	UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (Boolean clearFirst)
	UIPartActionWindow.Setup (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
	UIPartActionController.CreatePartUI (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
	UIPartActionController.SelectPart (.Part part, Boolean allowMultiple)
	UIPartActionController.HandleMouseClick (UnityEngine.Camera cam, Boolean allowMultiple)
	UIPartActionController+.MoveNext ()

On 1.4.2016 at 11:03 PM, FreeThinker said:

I suspect there is some other mod causing your problem. I would recommend copy your install to another location and create a fresh KSP install and install the core minimum number of  mods needed to play KSPI-E. Then, to your NERVA test and one of your mods 1 and repeat until the problem occurs again

Nope, minimal setup with only KSPI-E v1.7.3 and its hard dependencies from the zip + TweakScale v2.2.6 still reliably produces this error using the minimal reproduction steps of placing a Solid NTR NERVA in the VAB and right-clicking it.

Without TweakScale, everything appears to be working (no surprise there though). Do you want a full log? I highly doubt there's anything useful in there though.

18 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

Nope, minimal setup with only KSPI-E v1.7.3 and its hard dependencies from the zip + TweakScale v2.2.6 still reliably produces this error using the minimal reproduction steps of placing a Solid NTR NERVA in the VAB and right-clicking it.

Without TweakScale, everything appears to be working (no surprise there though). Do you want a full log? I highly doubt there's anything useful in there though.

Ah, so you clink on eten even before it connected. That might explain the error. What if you put it dirrect onder rocket ?

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Ah, so you clink on eten even before it connected. That might explain the error. What if you put it dirrect onder rocket ?

First time I noticed it, the full craft was already above it waiting for its engines. So yes, attaching to a fuel tank plus command module (or even just a fuel tank and nothing else for that matter) still yields the same result. I'll stress again that an upgraded NERVA I got from a contract (when I still didn't have Nuclear Propulsion) worked fine - alone or attached to a rocket.

I wanted to provide minimal steps so I just skipped placing something to attach it to, since it doesn't seem to make a difference...

Also, I noticed that this

On 31.3.2016 at 5:42 AM, Seeker89 said:

A small bug report here. I was having issues with the Thermal Control System (medium), the deployable one giving tons of errors. Good news is that I have found the problem....

In kspstockthermal.cfg you have set the "isDeployable = true" under that part.

Seeker

Still happens in v.1.7.3. First I thought you just didn't get around to including the fix yet. But then, looking at kspstockthermal.cfg, it seems you already did. The patches in that file look totally ok now. But I still get log spam with

[EXC 15:10:45.033] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	FNPlugin.FNRadiator.Deploy ()
	FNPlugin.FNRadiator.DeployMentControl (Single dynamic_pressure)
	FNPlugin.FNRadiator.FixedUpdate ()

as soon as a craft that has the stock medium foldable radiator is active. All other foldable radiators seem to be fine. I also tried using the minimal setup from earlier, same thing. Removing just WarpPlugin from GameData makes the exception disappear, so I'm pretty sure it's KSPI-E and not one of its hard dependencies.

Mmm.. Is guess I need to take a closer look. It used to work but recent updates might have broken it. It wouldn't be the first time that code that used to work, suddenly no longer is.

Redarding radiators, this weekend I came to the realisation that KSPI radiators are highly overpowered. The problem is that the surface area specified for every radiator is  about 2250% too high. To get the correct surface area you need the divide the area by 25. However, if you do this, preventing those Gigawatt reactors from overheating suddenly becomes very chalanging and you need radiators the size of a footbal field. Personally I think a factor of 25 is just too much.One partial solution  would be to reduce all radiator area, and mass by 225%. Then balance will remain more or less the same and the difference will be only be a factor 10 too high compaired to what is realsiticly possible

Edited by FreeThinker

^ It's definitely difficult to keep KSPI reactors cool right now. I had to plaster my vessel with stock medium folding radiators just to get 4 NERVAs in the yellow just barely, since I don't have the foldable KSPI ones yet.

And on that note:

3 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

All other foldable radiators seem to be fine.

Scratch that, ever since 8a6c528, instead of just the medium one, all foldable stock radiators are affected by the exception spamming. Consequently, setting isDeployable=false on all stock foldable radiators, like it was for the small one prior to 8a6c528, makes the exceptions disappear for all of them. So it seems like @Seeker89 had it backwards.

But I'm sure this hack has unintended consequences. FNRadiator is a KSPI module, so you might want to look at the code there...

Edited by MaxRebo
formatting all over the place...

9 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

^ It's definitely difficult to keep KSPI reactors cool right now. I had to plaster my vessel with stock medium folding radiators just to get 4 NERVAs in the yellow just barely, since I don't have the foldable KSPI ones yet.

And on that note:

Scratch that, ever since 8a6c528, instead of just the medium one, all foldable stock radiators are affected by the exception spamming. Consequently, setting isDeployable=false on all stock foldable radiators, like it was for the small one prior to 8a6c528, makes the exceptions disappear for all of them. So it seems like @Seeker89 had it backwards.

Oh sorry. I was meaning that he set it up like that, and that it was the cause. I should have explained more. 

28 minutes ago, Seeker89 said:

Oh sorry. I was meaning that he set it up like that, and that it was the cause. I should have explained more. 

I'll be damned. You actually did say it correctly. My mind just inserted the little "to" into "you have set the" on its own... definitely not your fault, even if your post was a little vague. Always gotta read carefully on the internet... looks like FreeThinker had the same thing happen to him :confused:

Either way, I don't think having isDeployable=false on a deployable part can be the final solution to this.

Edited by MaxRebo

Version 1.7.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-04-04

• Fixed bug with deployable Stock radiator spamming exceptions in error log and not working
  • Increased Start Tech Radiator temperature from to 970 to 1200 K, effectively improve radiator performance by 234%
Edited by FreeThinker

Before continuing, I would like to recieve feedback about all the new parts I recently added

- The Magneto Interial Fusion Rocket Engine

- The Tokamak Fusion Rocket Engine

- The IX Magnetic Cobfinement Fusion Enginine

- The Droppable Warped Tanks

- Curved and Edge Radiator Panels

Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.7.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

Released on 2016-04-04

• Fixed bug with deployable Stock radiator spamming exceptions in error log and not working
  • Increased Start Tech Radiator temperature from to 970 to 1200 K, effectively improve radiator performance by 234%

Nice. Stock radiators now work as expected. I can't really say how (un-)realistic the new starting tech radiator performance is, but it sure plays nicely this way.

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

- The Droppable Warped Tanks

- Curved and Edge Radiator Panels

I really, really love those. My career isn't at the point where I can give any substantial feedback for the engines though.

So I have tested the newest version of this mod with Near Future Technologies installed and neither of the two new engines give hardly any thrust and consume any propellant. It gave me a warning about the thrust being limited by the thermal nozzle. Also both engines overheat and explode rapidly even at 20% thrust and lower. The Droppable warped tanks work well for me though as well as the radiators. There is a magnetic confinement fusion reactor (not the takomak one) is in control section, is that an engine or what? Nice model for it though really cool though I really don't understand it. Also the D-T Vista engine does not give the 1200kn of thrust at 15500 Isp which it says it should in the description in the game.

Edited by Titan 3000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.