KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

When engines show a thrust animation, while not throttled, it is usually an indication something when wrong inside, check your log and check if any exceptions are thrown. The zooming out problem sounds like a tweakscale problem. I heard you should never tweakscale the root part.

Thanks.  I'll look into that.

@FreeThinker

This bug is still in

On 21.3.2016 at 5:34 AM, RzTen1 said:

I've submitted a pull request with a recommendation on SETI and power usage that hopefully looks good.  I've also figured out my issue with the lithium radial can:

It looks like all the other hex cans have an attachment rules of 1,1,1,1,0.  The lithium can has "attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0".  The second bit allows surface mounting, which is what I was trying to do.  I was also wondering if the can should actually draw power since lithium doesn't actually melt until its temperature exceeds 180C.  Even with full solar exposure it would have to be heated, not to mention if it's in shadow.  It might be interesting if the can acted more like a cryo tank except instead of boiling off it just stopped providing fuel if power ran out.

Also is the lack of lithium Fusion on purpose?

59 minutes ago, EnigmaG said:

@FreeThinker

This bug is still in

Also is the lack of lithium Fusion on purpose?

Good catch on the can, but what do you mean by Lithium fison? You mean the Magneto Inertial Fusion Rocketet Engine requiring Lithium as a propellant, yes that's correct. This kind of engine works best with Lithium, due to it's ability to absorb Neutrons well, Aluminium is said to be an alternative, but not as effective. Note that I used the small inline fuel contain to test it.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker, can you add scramjet (tech) to ramjet engine ( "dual-mode scramjets" ) for RSS?

current ramjet overheats at 2000 m/s (with top tech magnetic fusion reactor, and precoolers, which would probably works in reality that way not early when half a century passed), X-43 did fly with > 3000m/s in 2004.

P.S. i was able to get up to 6km/s with plasma engine in atmospheric mode, powered with same reactor.

Edited by okder

1 hour ago, okder said:

@FreeThinker, can you add scramjet (tech) to ramjet engine ( "dual-mode scramjets" ) for RSS?

current ramjet overheats at 2000 m/s (with top tech magnetic fusion reactor, and precoolers, which would probably works in reality that way not early when half a century passed), X-43 did fly with > 3000m/s in 2004.

P.S. i was able to get up to 6km/s with plasma engine in atmospheric mode, powered with same reactor.

Good suggesting, keep them coming, regarding the Plasma being able to operate at all, is a big question mark to me.

On 3/29/2016 at 5:53 AM, FreeThinker said:

Yes, I expected this. In the past there was actualy a bug that initialised the state at Charging one, but was deactivate at load. The effect was that charging was always disabled, effen if you just switched to a different vessel.

Well my intention is for both Thermal TurboJet and Thermal Ramjet to have advantages and disadvantages. The Thermla Ramjet is similar to it's non nuclear version, mend for high speed propulsion in high altitutes. To achieve this, it's Isp has to be higher. At the same time, performance at low airspeed, is bad. This often means they need secondary engines or disposable solid rocket boosters for take off and get up to speed. The Thermal Turbojet on the otherhand is the opposite of the Ramjet. They litterly suck the atmosphere into the engine. To help their performance in generating high trust their Isp is significantly lower. The disadvantage of this they they will perform poorly at high altitude and at high speed where the turbojet start to sufficate. The winning solution it therefore to use them both in which both engine cover each other weaknesses. This allow you to create very effective MSSTO (Multiple Single Stage to Orbit)

I'm still not sure we're talking about the same part.  this is the "hybrid thermal rocket" that has a fairly flat low profile and stack-attaches usually directly to my antimatter reactor.  the ISP isn't lower in atmosphere (I'm running on atmospheric fuel), but it is lower when I switch to hydrazine ejection mass in space.

A small bug report here. I was having issues with the Thermal Control System (medium), the deployable one giving tons of errors. Good news is that I have found the problem....

In kspstockthermal.cfg you have set the "isDeployable = true" under that part.

Seeker

1 hour ago, Seeker89 said:

A small bug report here. I was having issues with the Thermal Control System (medium), the deployable one giving tons of errors. Good news is that I have found the problem....

In kspstockthermal.cfg you have set the "isDeployable = true" under that part.

Seeker

Thanks, I will fix it.

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, EnigmaG said:

Li Fusion mods are ok with 1.7.1 but now Magneto Inertial Confinement no longer works with Thermal Ramjet Nozzle or Thermal Turbojet. Sandbox  mod.

It seems I have mixed up the Magneti Intertial Fusion Engine with the Inertial Confinement Fusion Reactor. The reason why you probably are not recieving any thrust is because the reactor temperature is too high. It causes the nozzle to operate as a magnetic nozzle, which will not work well in atmosphere. To fix it, you can lower the reactor core ReactorTemp to 3000

Edited by FreeThinker

On 3/28/2016 at 6:51 PM, FreeThinker said:

KSPI-E actually already support RSS, by allowing you to harvest resource from introduced planets and moon. So this should world. I was not aware there are extensions that ads even nearby stars. KSPI-E certainly supports the technology to travel to them. How is this mod called that adds other stars to RSS galaxy?

The mod is called RSS Extrasolar: Planets Beyond our Sun. Currently it only adds one new system:  HD 10180 which, in the game, orbits the Sun at the systems real distance from Sol of 127 lightyears. It also has planets based on what planets we think to be present around the system. As the mod progresses, more systems will be added, as well as a galactic core around which to place the Sun and the new systems. Sizes will always be real as will the systems, though I think some liberty might be taken to add non-observed planets to make the new systems more interesting. These things will be so far that the warp drive will be the only option.

Side note opinion: eventually Alpha Centauri will be added to Extrasolar, which is a feasible target with sublight but powerful engines like antimatter, electromagnetic engines. I kind of want a successful sublight interstellar mission to be a prerequisite to warp drive. Is there any way to make it that I'd have to send a sublight ship to a place like Alpha Centauri before I can unlock warp drive? Maybe a contract thing?

I suddenly started having problems with the NERVA today. Trying to right-click one in order to open the context menu fails and

[EXC 20:51:58.512] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.UpdateValueDisplay (Single newValue)
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.OnValueChanged (Single newValue)
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.UpdateItem ()
	UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (Boolean clearFirst)
	UIPartActionWindow.Setup (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
	UIPartActionController.CreatePartUI (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
	UIPartActionController.SelectPart (.Part part, Boolean allowMultiple)
	UIPartActionController.HandleMouseClick (UnityEngine.Camera cam, Boolean allowMultiple)
	UIPartActionController+.MoveNext ()

is thrown at the moment of right-clicking. Opening the right click menu on any part is then completely impossible until I exit the VAB and enter it again. It seems that exception completely kills the TweakScale plugin until it's reinitialized or something.

Strangely, I was not having any problems at all with the NERVA yesterday, and I didn't change a thing in my install since! Though that NERVA that didn't cause any issues yesterday was an experimental I got from a contract, so I'm not sure which upgrade level that one pointed to (I just unlocked nuclear propulsion, so currently I'm on upgrade level 0 ("Solid NTR NERVA")). I was using 1.7.0, but I just updated to 1.7.1 and the problem still persists.

1 hour ago, MaxRebo said:

I suddenly started having problems with the NERVA today. Trying to right-click one in order to open the context menu fails and

[EXC 20:51:58.512] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.UpdateValueDisplay (Single newValue)
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.OnValueChanged (Single newValue)
	TweakScale.UIPartActionScaleEdit.UpdateItem ()
	UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (Boolean clearFirst)
	UIPartActionWindow.Setup (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
	UIPartActionController.CreatePartUI (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
	UIPartActionController.SelectPart (.Part part, Boolean allowMultiple)
	UIPartActionController.HandleMouseClick (UnityEngine.Camera cam, Boolean allowMultiple)
	UIPartActionController+.MoveNext ()

is thrown at the moment of right-clicking. Opening the right click menu on any part is then completely impossible until I exit the VAB and enter it again. It seems that exception completely kills the TweakScale plugin until it's reinitialized or something.

Strangely, I was not having any problems at all with the NERVA yesterday, and I didn't change a thing in my install since! Though that NERVA that didn't cause any issues yesterday was an experimental I got from a contract, so I'm not sure which upgrade level that one pointed to (I just unlocked nuclear propulsion, so currently I'm on upgrade level 0 ("Solid NTR NERVA")). I was using 1.7.0, but I just updated to 1.7.1 and the problem still persists.

Weird problem. Try if you can somehow reproduce the problem. Also what version of tweakscale are you using, it looks like a tweakscale issue. Also very if any any other exceptions that occured

17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Weird problem. Try if you can somehow reproduce the problem. Also what version of tweakscale are you using, it looks like a tweakscale issue. Also very if any any other exceptions that occured

Well, it's extremely easy to reproduce for me. All I have to do really is place a Solid NTR NERVA in the VAB or SPH and then right-click it, nothing else. Consistently happens all the time. The only other exception I'm getting is an XmlException complaining about the lack of a document element in the config.xml of InfernalRobotics. I doubt that has anything to do with it though...

I did not update TweakScale in a few months. I'm currently running v2.2.6. It never caused any problems until now so I forgot all about it (only reason I even have it is KSPI really). Will try updating, just a moment... seems like 2.2.6 is still the current stable release...

Let me know if you want me to upload a minimal log

Edited by MaxRebo

17 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

Well, it's extremely easy to reproduce for me. All I have to do really is place a Solid NTR NERVA in the VAB or SPH, nothing else. Consistently happens all the time. The only other exception I'm getting is an XmlException complaining about the lack of a document element in the config.xml of InfernalRobotics. I doubt that has anything to do with it though...

I did not update TweakScale in a few months. I'm currently running v2.2.6. It never caused any problems until now so I forgot all about it (only reason I even have it KSPI really). Will try updating, just a moment...

I suspect there is some other mod causing your problem. I would recommend copy your install to another location and create a fresh KSP install and install the core minimum number of  mods needed to play KSPI-E. Then, to your NERVA test and one of your mods 1 and repeat until the problem occurs again

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

I suspect there is some other mother causing your problem. I would recommend copy your install to another location and create a fresh install and install the core minimum number of  mods needed to play KSPI-E. Then, to your NERVA test and one of your mods 1 and repeat untill the problem occurs again

Ugh, I was fearing it would come down to this. Since I'm using 75 mods this will be quite an endeavor if the problem doesn't appear with a clean KSPI-E install. I might not get around to doing it till Sunday. Will report back once I've tried it. For now, thanks for the quick replies!

13 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

Ugh, I was fearing it would come down to this. Since I'm using 75 mods this will be quite an endeavor if the problem doesn't appear with a clean KSPI-E install. I might not get around to doing it till Sunday. Will report back once I've tried it. For now, thanks for the quick replies!

Well it is importance because once 1.1 is fully released, I predict these problem will only get worse, as people are no longer retrained to install every mod. They just start installing mods until there is no tomorrow, and start complaining their game no longer works.

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Well it is importance because once 1.1 is fully released, I predict these problem will only get worse, as people are no longer retrained to install every mod. They just start installing mods until there is no tomorrow, and start complaining their something no longer works.

Good point. I don't think I quite appreciated until now the immense monstrosity a fully working, stable, official 64bit KSP can become in the hands of some over-eager players... not that I'm one to talk lol

I'm just going to make a little list of all the issues I have experienced, because there are quite a few. The number also went UP after I switched from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1.

All issues are sandbox.

Issues in 1.7.0 that may or may not still be in 1.7.1:

• All thermal engines refuse to switch propellant after FlameOut of one type of propellant.
  • Nosecones can't hold combination fuels.
  • Cannot move any type of depleted fuel to storage tanks.
  • Thermal Power ratings in VAB information panels are completely and utterly wrong for all(?) reactors besides Molten Salt.
  • (minor) Resistojets start with the propellant type blank, but switching fixes that.
  • (minor) Molten Salt Reactor units are in MJ instead of MW in VAB.
  • (minor) Mech Jeb causes engines to heat rapidly and explode with the fluttery control in translatron mode. This seems like a deeper problem with these engines and not really with Mech Jeb's behavior.

Issues I know are in 1.7.1 that were not in 1.7.0:

• Electric thermal generators overheat immediately and require overkill-level radiators to keep above 2 GW for full power of a VASIMR engine with any sort of fission reactor. Fusion reactors are affected less.
  • Electric generators for the Open Cycle Gas Core are inexplicably capped at 500ish MW no matter what scale they are.
  • No indicator of max power for an electric generator in the VAB.
  • Methalox ratios in the tanks are completely off from what the engine actually uses.
Edited by gajbooks

I noticed something while playing 1.6.9, don't know if anyone else have encountered this but, the two fusion reactors and the dusty plasma reactor all lose their core temp over time (haven't tried any other reactor), I have no clue if it is supposed to be like this or if I am doing something wrong :P, but it is hard to go anywhere out in space because of the reactors slowly loosing their core temp. This even happens if I only have a craft with one of those reactors and a generator on the launchpad and just warp the time. If I switch of the reactors, then the core temp stops dropping, but once I fire the reactors up again they start loosing their core temp again.

I have tried:

- Bringing much more fuel than needed

- Many and few heat radiators (Tried both)

- Turing them of and staring them up again

If anyone has any clue or suggestion, I am more than happy for any help I can get :)

Edit: After some more testing with the fusion reactors, this happens mostly with tritium (no matter if breeding is on or off), and some with deuterium, but the proton-boron reaction seems to stop this effect.

Edit 2: After even more testing, it seems to to with the ratio of the charged particles of the reactor, the reactions with 100% charged particles don't loose core temp over time, the reactions with less than 100% charged particles lose core temp over time, is there any way to counter this loss of core temp?

Edited by xiphias

Version 1.7.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1

Released on 2016-04-02

• Fixed Bug which caused all thermal engines refuse to switch propellant after FlameOut of one type of propellant
  • Fixed Output and Tech requirements Inertial Fusion Reactors
  • Reduced Neutron Embrittlement
  • Improved Neutronicity of Molten Salt Reactor, allowing them to breed Tritium more effectively
  • Radiator maximum temperature now grows more gradual with Technology

3 hours ago, xiphias said:

I noticed something while playing 1.6.9, don't know if anyone else have encountered this but, the two fusion reactors and the dusty plasma reactor all lose their core temp over time (haven't tried any other reactor), I have no clue if it is supposed to be like this or if I am doing something wrong :P, but it is hard to go anywhere out in space because of the reactors slowly loosing their core temp. This even happens if I only have a craft with one of those reactors and a generator on the launchpad and just warp the time. If I switch of the reactors, then the core temp stops dropping, but once I fire the reactors up again they start loosing their core temp again.

I have tried:

- Bringing much more fuel than needed

- Many and few heat radiators (Tried both)

- Turing them of and staring them up again

If anyone has any clue or suggestion, I am more than happy for any help I can get :)

Edit: After some more testing with the fusion reactors, this happens mostly with tritium (no matter if breeding is on or off), and some with deuterium, but the proton-boron reaction seems to stop this effect.

Edit 2: After even more testing, it seems to to with the ratio of the charged particles of the reactor, the reactions with 100% charged particles don't loose core temp over time, the reactions with less than 100% charged particles lose core temp over time, is there any way to counter this loss of core temp?

What you are experiencing are the effects of Neutron Embrittlement which on earth is nasty but for space based reactors it's worse because they are build to be lightweight and therefore suffer more, It also serves as a game balance mechanic which promotes the usage o partial a-neutronic fuels  like D-He3 or full neutronic p-B which although less powerful, becomes important for long duration missions. Note that in the future I do plan to allow you to repair the engines based on the amount and level of kerbal engeneers

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.