KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Hey Free Thinker, here's a suggestion. Can you make some huge fusion engines? And an antimatter engine similar  to the one on the ISV Venture Star from Avatar.

Also maybe you could add a radiator from the ISV Venture Star too, P.S. it's huge

KSPI-E actually already support RSS, by allowing you to harvest resource from introduced planets and moon. So this should world. I was not aware there are extensions that ads even nearby stars. KSPI-E certainly supports the technology to travel to them. How is this mod called that adds other stars to RSS galaxy?

It would be nice to see more experimental physics engines (Antimater, virtual particles, infinite improbability...)
but im F.A.R. (haha) more concerned with radiators, especially anything inline with powered heat reduction. I'd love to see something of the like for 2.5 factor plus:

a part that is the space-fairing equivalent of the 1.25m inline radiator. instead of having a reaction wheel, having a powered heat pump that uses MW to reduce waste heat. this way you could in theory use large solar panels to supplement power for your vessel and act as radiators, and have the inline radiator cool powerful engines. (more specifically the quantum thrustsers and VISTA that desperately need it).
allowing for a smaller more compact ship capable of ACTUALLY FITTING in a fairing for launch.

10 hours ago, Rushligh said:

It would be nice to see more experimental physics engines (Antimater, virtual particles, infinite improbability...)
but im F.A.R. (haha) more concerned with radiators, especially anything inline with powered heat reduction. I'd love to see something of the like for 2.5 factor plus:

a part that is the space-fairing equivalent of the 1.25m inline radiator. instead of having a reaction wheel, having a powered heat pump that uses MW to reduce waste heat. this way you could in theory use large solar panels to supplement power for your vessel and act as radiators, and have the inline radiator cool powerful engines. (more specifically the quantum thrustsers and VISTA that desperately need it).
allowing for a smaller more compact ship capable of ACTUALLY FITTING in a fairing for launch.

Well, what I could do is create a super refrigeration partModule which converts Stock Heat into Wasteheat at the cost of high amount of power This should make it possible to fix any local heat problem.

Btw, has anyone tried out the new Fusion Engines?

@FreeThinker - just updated to 1.7.0 - found a pretty major game-breaking bug with the folding warpdrive - it defaults to charging ON instead of charging OFF on the launchpad.  Problem is I use these things extensively in spaceplanes, so the thing spawns already opened and clipping through the runway.  turn off charging via right-click and the physics engine freaks out, flips the plane in the air, and then it hits the ground and explodes.  Can you please change it back to defaulting to NOT charging on launch?  I see no way from the SPH to alter this, going to look for a .cfg edit I can make... no.. I don't see anything in the .cfg that sets the default state of the part :(

I probably shouldn't have my entire space program dependent upon any one single part, but.. I kind of do in this case :( Am I doing something wrong (did a clean install as far as I know) or is this an actual bug?

6 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker - just updated to 1.7.0 - found a pretty major game-breaking bug with the folding warpdrive - it defaults to charging ON instead of charging OFF on the launchpad.  Problem is I use these things extensively in spaceplanes, so the thing spawns already opened and clipping through the runway.  turn off charging via right-click and the physics engine freaks out, flips the plane in the air, and then it hits the ground and explodes.  Can you please change it back to defaulting to NOT charging on launch?  I see no way from the SPH to alter this, going to look for a .cfg edit I can make... no.. I don't see anything in the .cfg that sets the default state of the part :(

I probably shouldn't have my entire space program dependent upon any one single part, but.. I kind of do in this case :( Am I doing something wrong (did a clean install as far as I know) or is this an actual bug?

Well this is unexpected as I didn't change anything about the Warp drives for 1.7.0 except of adding a reaction wheel to help with turning. Please remove the reaction wheel partmodule from the config file and verify if the problem persists

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well this is unexpected as I didn't change anything about the Warp drives except of adding a reaction wheel. Please remove the reaction wheel partmodule from the config file and verify if the problem persists

I don't see a reactionwheel module in the WarpDrive2 part.cfg ... here's what it looks like:

PART
{
name = KspiWarpDrive
module = Part
author = Fractal
///model by z
mesh = warp2.mu
rescaleFactor = 2

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.30, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.237, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

TechRequired = ultraHighEnergyPhysics
entryCost = 500000
cost = 4500000
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0

title = Alcubierre Drive (Folding)
manufacturer = Zefram Kerman's Warp Supplies Co.
description = Originally designed by Zefram Kerman himself, this piece of technology is designed to sneakily evade the prohibition of faster than light travel described by the theory of relativity by translating a small subset of spacetime across space at unbelievable speeds while imparting no momentum change to the vessel at all.  Since it was designed by Zefram Kerman, it may not function without the application of rock music.
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 8
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 6
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2900

stagingIcon = REACTION_WHEEL

RESOURCE
{
        name = ExoticMatter
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 120000
}

//MODULE
//{
//        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
//        animationName = t2
//        startEventGUIName =  Change State
//        endEventGUIName = Change State
//}

MODULE
{
    name = AlcubierreDrive
    effectSize1 = 9.6
    effectSize2 = 2.4
    upgradedName = Advanced Field Geometry
    originalName = Standard Field Geometry
    upgradeCost = 100
    upgradeTechReq = unifiedFieldTheory
    partMass = 8
    AnimationName = t2
}

MODULE
{
    name = TweakScale
    type = stack
    defaultScale = 2.5
        scaleFactors = 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5
        scaleNames = 1.25, 1.875, 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m
}

}

Well either way, it should not start with charging on at the runway. Have you tried replacing the Folded Warpdrive by a fresh version, the Charge status is persisitant and can therefore be part of the craft file.

Edited by FreeThinker

9 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well either way, it should not start with charging on at the runway. Have you tried replacing the Folded Warpdrive by a fresh version, the Charge status is persisitant and can therefore be part of the craft file.

I replaced the chargedparticles generator since it was marked 'legacy' and was required-replace-or-no-launch.. didn't replace the warpdrive; will try that right now, give me 5 minutes :)

... yes this fixes it.  I suppose it's not too onerous to replace these parts on my craft, they're fairly easily separable and only have one action group bound to them, at least for my designs.  Phew!  I thought my entire space program was stuck :)

Edited by ss8913
confirmed FreeThinker's theory

second question about 1.7.0 -- hybrid thermal rockets (known as the 'thermal turbojet' but .. there's some confusion I think on specifically which part this is, it's listed as a hybrid thermal rocket in the parts list now.. anyway.. it seems the isp has been reduced?  My scout plane used to have about 80km/sec dV after achieving LKO, now it only has about 60km/sec.  Seems to have a lot more thrust though, at least in the atmosphere.  I saw some mention of thrust changes in the changelog but nothing about the ISP.

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

... yes this fixes it.  I suppose it's not too onerous to replace these parts on my craft, they're fairly easily separable and only have one action group bound to them, at least for my designs.  Phew!  I thought my entire space program was stuck :)

Yes, I expected this. In the past there was actualy a bug that initialised the state at Charging one, but was deactivate at load. The effect was that charging was always disabled, effen if you just switched to a different vessel.

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

second question about 1.7.0 -- hybrid thermal rockets (known as the 'thermal turbojet' but .. there's some confusion I think on specifically which part this is, it's listed as a hybrid thermal rocket in the parts list now.. anyway.. it seems the isp has been reduced?  My scout plane used to have about 80km/sec dV after achieving LKO, now it only has about 60km/sec.  Seems to have a lot more thrust though, at least in the atmosphere.  I saw some mention of thrust changes in the changelog but nothing about the ISP.

Well my intention is for both Thermal TurboJet and Thermal Ramjet to have advantages and disadvantages. The Thermla Ramjet is similar to it's non nuclear version, mend for high speed propulsion in high altitutes. To achieve this, it's Isp has to be higher. At the same time, performance at low airspeed, is bad. This often means they need secondary engines or disposable solid rocket boosters for take off and get up to speed. The Thermal Turbojet on the otherhand is the opposite of the Ramjet. They litterly suck the atmosphere into the engine. To help their performance in generating high trust their Isp is significantly lower. The disadvantage of this they they will perform poorly at high altitude and at high speed where the turbojet start to sufficate. The winning solution it therefore to use them both in which both engine cover each other weaknesses. This allow you to create very effective MSSTO (Multiple Single Stage to Orbit)

Edited by FreeThinker

I am playing with realism overhaul and kspi-e together. It is going pretty good and I did not have any bugs. Realism overhaul engines have some specific limitation such as limited throttle capabilities and limited number of ignitions. Would it be right to put similar limitations to kspi-e engines. I want to have a realistic career.

1 hour ago, yafeshan said:

I am playing with realism overhaul and kspi-e together. It is going pretty good and I did not have any bugs. Realism overhaul engines have some specific limitation such as limited throttle capabilities and limited number of ignitions. Would it be right to put similar limitations to kspi-e engines. I want to have a realistic career.

Well KSPI-E is aimed to be comaptible with RSS and I'm open for any realism improvement suggestions. Related to trottle I already have incorperated several realsim features. One of them is the delayed throtle effects. This is especial noticable on the Solid Core NTR as it requires 10 seconds for it  to get up to full speed. Other realism features include Boyancy effects for the Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor and Heat Throtling effects for the Pebble Bed Reactor. If there is something inconsistant with reality, I would like to know about it. I would love to see more discussion about realsim.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Noobton said:

in the initial page of recommended mods I see TAC LS but no USI, is there any reason for this or is just preference?

I can't find anywhere where I do this

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, Noobton said:

this is on the first port

First of, it's not a recommended Mod, merly a mod that I try to be compatible with. USI is simply a mod that is published very recently. I haven't got around to add specific support for this mod yet but it is a good suggestion.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

First of, it's not a recommended Mod, merly a mod that I try to be compatible with. USI is simply a mod that is published very recently. I haven't got around to add specific support for this mod yet but it is a good suggestion.

oops, thanks, I misinterpreted that , I'm making a list of mods that I want to try with 1.1 and just wanted to  be sure that at least is not known to break anything :)

30 minutes ago, Noobton said:

oops, thanks, I misinterpreted that , I'm making a list of mods that I want to try with 1.1 and just wanted to  be sure that at least is not known to break anything :)

Note that KSPI is unlikely to conflict with USI LS as they simply do not share any resource (like TAC LC does), therefore I would be highly surpriced if they did.

Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, Table said:

Hey Free Thinker, here's a suggestion. Can you make some huge fusion engines? And an antimatter engine similar  to the one on the ISV Venture Star from Avatar.

Also maybe you could add a radiator from the ISV Venture Star too, P.S. it's huge

Well the new l.7.0 version added IXSMainHull Fusion reactor pat is actually quite large 5m diameter

Also I don't think the radiator from the ISV Venture Star  will actually work in KSP 1.0.5 because it has too many polygons. SQUAD killed these models after the KSP 1.0.5 update. But perhaps I'm mistaken. The problem is actually to find these models again. If anyone have them, please contact me

Edited by FreeThinker

FreeThinker, 

Quick Question. I had a rocket that utilized an antimatter reactor and a thermal ramjet nozzel. This gave me a great balance of thrust and isp with a variety of fuels. This no longer works after 1.7. It produces minimal thrust. Has something changed with this engine? or something else that affects this setup?

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Well the new l.7.0 version added IXSMainHull Fusion reactor pat is actually quite large 5m diameter

Also I don't think the radiator from the ISV Venture Star  will actually work in KSP 1.0.5 because it has too many polygons. SQUAD killed these models after the KSP 1.0.5 update. But perhaps I'm mistaken. The problem is actually to find these models again. If anyone have them, please contact me

i have an idea make seperate smaller pieces that model, its more flexible and its betternso we could assemble radiator with only 3 pieces, front, middle, and back. trust me, this idea is very versatile and flexible p.s. maybe u and bonus eventus could make this part, as u guys are very good modelers, also you guys have awesome detailing on your parts

Edited by Table

13 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

PWell, what I could do is create a super refrigeration partModule which converts Stock Heat into Wasteheat at the cost of high amount of power This should make it possible to fix any local heat problem.

Btw, has anyone tried out the new Fusion Engines?

PLEASE. I NEED IT. 
also haven't tried the new fusion engies yet, but im planning on making a ssto based off of one of 'em. 

Sorry if this has come up before, but I have a bug that I can't seem to shake.  I have a craft propelled by two NERVAs.  I few game sessions ago when I went to it the animations for the engines exhaust was on, though the engines themselves were not throttled up nor were the producing any thrust or using fuel.  Shutting down the engines and restarting seemed to fix the problem, though now the engine animation no longer works at all.

This was workable, but now I'm having camera issues with the same vehicle where the game camera suddenly moves away rapidly from the vehicle.  The problem persists after leaving and returning to the vessel and also after shutting down and restarting the game.  I know this doesn't seem a mod issue, but I don't have the same problem with a large number of other ships I have about.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Interstellar, which didn't help, and now I'm a bit at a loss.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When engines show a thrust animation, while not throttled, it is usually an indication something went wrong inside, check your log and check if any exceptions are thrown. The zooming out problem sounds like a tweakscale problem. I heard you should never tweakscale the root part.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.