KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

1 minute ago, ss8913 said:

So @FreeThinkerI asked this earlier and may have missed your reply, not sure; why is it enough for intakes to be present for air breathing engines, but they don't care about the open/closed status of the intakes?  Is that intentional or a bug?

Reproduce: create a craft with intakes and an engine in atmospheric mode like the thermal turbojet.  Close intakes.  Throttle up. Still works as if they were open..

Lol. it seems like a bug, I will fix it

So, my craft on the pad is definitely connecting to the solar station, but on extreme UV and visible light instead of the far UV that the transmitter is set to. I was actually able to launch a xenon propelled ATILLA fairly high before aero forces won.

13 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

This is the problem I am encountering, the receiver gets microwaves in the end, I made a diagram

GAZSFaa.png

I think we need more diagrams :lol:

Interesting, but what happens if you configure the receiver in the same wavelength as the transmitter?

Edit: Note  this is currently a bit of an exploit because it is lossless, but the eventual goal is to make this possible with beamed power pumping. The idea is that relay station can convert the beamed power into different wavelengths, including microwave, this can be beneficial as it minimizes wasteheat at the receiver...

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

it receives nothing, all transceivers are set to far UV, including the free electron laser

So the vessel in kerbin shadow only received in microwave bandwidth? that is not intended, but not a complete failure either, as it allows you receive at least some of the power. This will of coerce be fixed...

Edited by FreeThinker

maybe I am experiencing something similar?

For me it seems not to matter what my solar transmitter wavelength is set to, the receiver on my launchpad can only connect to it via extreme UV and visible light. I can upload some screenshots if need be.

edit: Ok, so the Free Electron Laser was set to red light on the craft file..... now I have it set to UV vacuum and my launchpad receiver is picking up the far UV now

Edited by zanie420

Weird, I was getting better power the other way with red light, now I don't have enough thrust to leave the pad. Is it because of the atmosphere @FreeThinker? I must be missing a concept :)

edit: ok, I switched to infra-red and now I am getting over 2 GW of beamed power!

Edited by zanie420

Ok, @FreeThinker. I think my misunderstanding is between the Free Electron Laser, and the Multi Bandwidth Transceiver on the ship you designed :)

Could you explain. The laser makes the beam, and the transceiver sends it? But why are there different choices between the two? With simple trial and error, I can get the most power by setting the laser to long infrared, while the transceiver setting doesn't seem to matter. On the receiver end, I get over 9gw in orbit... but on extreme UV. So I am very confused, but also THRILLED

Edited by zanie420

8 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Weird, I was getting better power the other way with red light, now I don't have enough thrust to leave the pad. Is it because of the atmosphere @FreeThinker? I must be missing a concept :)

edit: ok, I switched to infra-red and now I am getting over 2 GW of beamed power!

Yes the atmosphere absorbs different amount depending on wavelength, altitude  and moisture in atmosphere, the dryer and higher, the better

8 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Ok, @FreeThinker. I think my misunderstanding is between the Free Electron Laser, and the Multi Bandwidth Transceiver on the ship you designed :)

Could you explain. The laser makes the beam, and the transceiver sends it? But why are there different choices between the two? With simple trial and error, I can get the most power by setting the laser to long infrared, while the transceiver setting doesn't seem to matter. On the receiver end, I get over 9gw in orbit... but on extreme UV. So I am very confused, but also THRILLED

The Beam generator determines the wavelength the transmitter sends beamed power, the setting on the transceiver determines the bandwidth it is able to receiver if it was set to receiving, which when used as a transmitter is not relevant. (but I now realize, can be confusing)

edit, Lol, it appears there is a bug in the wavelength of long infrared, it obviously way to short ...

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The Beam generator determines the wavelength the transmitter sends beamed power, the setting on the transceiver determines the bandwidth it is able to receiver if it was set to receiving, which when used as a transmitter is not relevant. (but I now realize, can be confusing)

edit, Lol, it appears there is a bug in the wavelength of long infrared, it obviously way to short ...

I think there is no extreme ultraviolet option - 10 nm wavelength in this UV beam generator.

Shortest available is vacuum ultraviolet of 100 nm.

467D821CFB864B554071DE5575B853FF429487E3

Finally got a direct planetary observation craft out there... it's reporting 5 science/day per IR telescope, but im getting no science and hitting "review data" does nothing. EDIT: Hitting deploy does give me results, but only on some of them do they have science. Plus, it's difficult to get signal all the way out here without a excrementston of tweakscaled antennas

EDIT 2: I reverted and relaunched with more antennas, but apparently placing them on the stellerator is a very bad idea or something, as the radiatiors would barely dissipate heat, and it would rise to 50% embrittlement in 10 DAYS! 10! 

Edited by The Destroyer

8 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Finally got a direct planetary observation craft out there... it's reporting 5 science/day per IR telescope, but im getting no science and hitting "review data" does nothing. EDIT: Hitting deploy does give me results, but only on some of them do they have science. Plus, it's difficult to get signal all the way out here without a excrementston of tweakscaled antennas

EDIT 2: I reverted and relaunched with more antennas, but apparently placing them on the stellerator is a very bad idea or something, as the radiatiors would barely dissipate heat, and it would rise to 50% embrittlement in 10 DAYS! 10! 

Did you know many of KSPI-E dishes also have data transmission capability, some of the most powerful can even go interstellar..

Version 1.11.12 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2016-12-25

• Added ability to transmit science data by most beamed power transmitters
  • Re-balanced spot-size normalization, smaller wavelength matter more
  • Fixed Exploding receivers at vessel load when very close to star.
  • Fixed wavelength selection Free Electron Laser
Edited by FreeThinker

I've noticed something in recent builds.. and I'm not sure if this is an MJ2 issue or a KSPIE issue.. when using electric engines such as the ATILLA and you tell MJ2 to 'create and execute' a node, it executes the burn immediately without waiting the requisite amount of time.  Only with the electric engines; thermal rockets, etc, those are fine... is that a KSPIE problem or a MJ2 problem?  It's definitely a new/recent problem, either way.

On 25.12.2016 at 7:59 AM, The Destroyer said:

Wait, is embrittlement related to waste heat? I thought it was only about the neutronicity of the fusion reaction.

Second, can I ask what kind of dish or solar panel is the one with the hex model in the screenshot?

18 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

Wait, is embrittlement related to waste heat? I thought it was only about the neutronicity of the fusion reaction.

There is no direct correlation, but there is a indirect one. Neutron Rich fusion modes tend to create proportionally more heat and because only about a 1/3 can be converted to electric power, 2/3 will end up as waste heat.

18 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

Second, can I ask what kind of dish or solar panel is the one with the hex model in the screenshot?

That's no solar panel, it would be useless at this distance,  it supposed to be a inline long range communication relay dish, still by interstellar standards, it is considered medium range

Edited by FreeThinker

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

There is no direct correlation, but there is a indirect one. Neutron Rich fusion modes tend to create proportionally more heat and because only about a 1/3 can be converted to electric power, 2/3 will end up as waste heat.

Right, by what I tested there is no way of getting a fusion reactor to 50% embrittlement  in less than 250 days (d-t fusion), no matter the waste heat level.

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

That's no solar panel, it would be useless at this distance,  it supposed to be a inline long range communication relay dish, still by interstellar standards, it is considered medium range

Looks cool tho.

Edited by Charon Moloch

16 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

Right, by what I tested there is no way of getting a fusion reactor to 50% embrittlement  in less than 250 days (d-t fusion), no matter the waste heat level.

What is important to understand, but might not be obvious is that the embitterment is for a large part determined by the  availability of lithium. The Lithium is responsible for power production, but also responsible for protecting the structure from it harmful effects. So if you make a mistake of not supplying it with lithium it will embrittle a whole lot faster

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.