KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Still having the cannot-make-multiple-warp-jumps issue with 1.6.6.  Jumped towards moho to use Kerbol's gravity to align with Duna... did that, tried to jump to Duna.. "Not enough MW power to create a stable warp field."

update: I reloaded my save and tried it again in exactly the same way except for one thing: I had the throttle set to 1.00c on the first jump instead of 0.100c like I did the first time.  I thought maybe that the fact that i was using a sublight throttle value was affecting it, but i did all subsequent jumps at less than 1.00c, and everything worked fine.  Not sure what happened now...

f7rRYTY.jpg

Edited by ss8913

59 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

As for ThF4 - which  kind of refinery and how does one transfer.. using stock transfer? TAC-FB?  Also when I get the fuel into the reactor how do I start it?  reactor control window has no button for 'start' like an antimatter reactor does.

You can restart it with an engineer in EVA.

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I can't find it on curse.. their interface and pretty much their entire site is terrible design.  Anyone have a direct link to the curse download?  1.6.5 is unusable and CKAN and kerbalstuff don't seem to have 1.6.6 :(
nevermind.. found the tiny secret link to switch from 'shareables' to 'mods' .. haven't used curse in forever.

Haven't you noticed the link to the latest download on the OP which always links directly to the latest version?

Notice the reason I use Curse instead of KerbalStuff , is because of upload speed. With curse, I can do it in 30- seconds while with Kerbalstuff, it requires about half an hour or so, which is very drustrating. Also Curse shares some of it advertising income with the developer, which is a nice bonus even if it is very little.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Haven't you noticed the link to the latest download on the OP which always links directly to the latest version?

Notice the reason I use Curse instead of KerbalStuff , is because of upload speed. With curse, I can do it in 30- seconds while with Kerbalstuff, it requires about half an hour or so, which is very drustrating. Also Curse shares some of it advertising income with the developer, which is a nice bonus even if it is very little.

TBH I've been updating with CKAN until today.  Thanks for your help with everything; as far as I can tell, with the exception of that one ship and that one... charging glitch that I can't reproduce, everything's working right.  Now if only I could remember to fill up my freight containers before leaving the KSC... :P

for me the alcubiere drivers all 3 throw

[EXC 07:18:58.529] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    FNPlugin.AlcubierreDrive.FixedUpdate ()

also the foldable one one wanting to attach and not snap

the orbital supercolider throws a error saying more than 255 poly and is invalid.

these are all with the newest version

the direct nuclear thermal jet throws

[EXC 07:36:35.776] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FXModuleAnimateThrottle.FixedUpdate ()

Edited by sidfu

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

TBH I've been updating with CKAN until today.  Thanks for your help with everything; as far as I can tell, with the exception of that one ship and that one... charging glitch that I can't reproduce, everything's working right.  Now if only I could remember to fill up my freight containers before leaving the KSC... :P

Good to hear that. I'm not sure yet about some balancing. specificly the effects of gravity. Currenty I calulate the maximum Warp speed with the folowing formula: MaxSpeedOfLight = 1 / Power(GravityPull, 2). As an exple, in the case of KEO (Low Orbit around Kerbin) this is 1/Pow(5, 2) = 1/ 25 = 0.04c The advantage is that the gavity effectly only play a role, close to planets, the disadvantage is that it still allows you to Warp through planets as a planet gravity quickly drops, and therefore maximum light speed. I could make the function less exponential like MaxSpeedOfLight  = 1 / 2 * Pow (GravityPull * 1.5). The advantage is that the gravity well exfect significantly further.

I just updated and started this morning after a week of not playing. After loading my save it gave me a notice that a few of my vessels weren't loaded because it couldn't find a "small molten salt reactor". I went looking and couldn't find it's removal in the recent changes. I went to the VAB and saw that there's a "molten salt reactor", but not a small one.

My issue is that I was using this reactor on my long range TDRS array and not having those vessels cause me to loose contact with pretty much everything beyond LKO. (I'm running Remote Tech which makes this an issue)

This save is the one I've been playing since 1.0.4. I've nearly completed the science tree. (just need warp drive to finish it.) I saved a copy of my save game before launching. Is there an easy way to put a "small molten salt reactor" back in? Or do I need to modify and relaunch my TDRS array? 

1 hour ago, sidfu said:

for me the alcubiere drivers all 3 throw

[EXC 07:18:58.529] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    FNPlugin.AlcubierreDrive.FixedUpdate ()

also the foldable one one wanting to attach and not snap

the orbital supercolider throws a error saying more than 255 poly and is invalid.

these are all with the newest version

the direct nuclear thermal jet throws

[EXC 07:36:35.776] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FXModuleAnimateThrottle.FixedUpdate ()

The first one I'm not sure about, I've seen that too but only in a specific set of circumstances that's difficult to replicate.  @FreeThinker that looks a lot like the problem I was having with the MarkIV spaceplane.
Second one - that's a model issue.  I have it as well; the fusion reactors used to have it (fixed in a recent patch), so I'm assuming someone's going to have to fix that model.
Third one - Are you using SmokeScreen?  If so, get rid of it.  SmokeScreen does bad things to the exhausts on all of KSPIE's engines.  It's installed along with B9, and the B9 engines won't show exhaust properly without it, KSPIE engines won't show exhaust properly *with* it.  If you're using KSPIE engines though you don't really need/want the B9 engines anymore.

@FreeThinker - regarding gravity - it has almost no effect currently.  Anything above a low orbit lets me do pretty much whatever I want, and coming back to a planet it's.. like playing chicken.  I cut off the warp drive at about 300km altitude but it would definitely have flown straight into Kerbin at a measurable fraction of c, it's not a useful mechanic to avoid crashing/slowing down in a gravity well at present.  It's a great idea though and it'll be awesome once it's tuned properly :)

This might've been asked a million times already, but is there an idiots guide/basic tutorial for this mod? I've been playing around with it and reading up, but i can't seem to get a good grasp on how i would actually go about getting a good setup together for interstellar travel.

I'm a noob playing careermode, and i'm trying to build my first interstellar ship. I've been fiddling with stock NERV configurations, but they don't provide enough thrust (but plenty of delta V). I hoped switch to the NERVA engine would solve my problems, and while i'm getting more thrust, i need a huge amount of Hydrogen tanks to get the equal amount of delta V. Which leads me to think i might not fully understand this mod... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

57 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Good to hear that. I'm not sure yet about some balancing. specificly the effects of gravity. Currenty I calulate the maximum Warp speed with the folowing formula: MaxSpeedOfLight = 1 / Power(GravityPull, 2). As an exple, in the case of KEO (Low Orbit around Kerbin) this is 1/Pow(5, 2) = 1/ 25 = 0.04c The advantage is that the gavity effectly only play a role, close to planets, the disadvantage is that it still allows you to Warp through planets as a planet gravity quickly drops, and therefore maximum light speed. I could make the function less exponential like MaxSpeedOfLight  = 1 / 2 * Pow (GravityPull * 1.5). The advantage is that the gravity well exfect significantly further.

A way to make the Warp Drive more challenging-fancy, could be to make it work just with "some kind" of Maneuver Node, from a orbital point to a target orbital point. More theese two points are near a planet or a gravitational field, less fast the travel would be and less precise the Warp would be to reach the target point. Does it have sense?

was looking aat the issue with the nuclear tuborjet spamine errors that somone said is due to smokescreen and when i compared it to stock the  FXModuleAnimateThrottle for the nuclear turbojet seems to be missing info

this is the nuclear turbo jet

MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
        animationName = TurboJetThrottle
        dependOnEngineState = False
        responseSpeed = 0.5
    }

and stock turbojet

MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
        animationName = TurboRamJetNozzle
        dependOnEngineState = True
        dependOnThrottle = True
        responseSpeed = 1
        layer = 1
    }

do u think the issue with the nuclear turbojet is caused by missing throttle info? i tested it by pasteing a b9 throtte info in and the error stoped. havent test beyond that as im fixing another error from another mod at the same time

19 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Let me get this clear, your using no KSPI-E parts durring your test but it is installed? THe only thing I can think of is that some B9 parts could be augmented with KSPI-E partmodel which behave unexpectedly. What I do know is that many of the B9 aero parts are augmented with KSPI Radiators. Now these radiators are ment to be used in cimbination, with KSPI reactors. Without them, I'm not sure how they behave. Note that when the WAsteheat fills up, they are rigged to self explode. THis might be the havoc you are experiencing. To fix is, please remove the b9aero.cfg in the WarpPlugin\Patches folder

That is correct. no parts from interstellar were used. I removed the SABRE part from b9aero.cfg and tested again - no KABOOOM. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, ABZB said:

I notice that both the MinDecompositionTemp & MaxDecompositionTemp for both LqdAmmonia and Hydrazine are 0. Is that supposed to be that way?

Yes, any KSPI reactor core temperature is higher than the MaxDecomposition Temperature for Hydrazine and Ammonia, meaning the will fully decompose. For ammonia this 1100 C, and for Hydrazine aoout 800.

hmm, There is 2 science labs in this awesome mod.. the normal and the advanced.. when I look at part.cfg and partAdvanced.cfg it looks like they are switched around.. the normal one is faster to research and can store antimatter? and the advanced cannot store antimatter and is slower to research... :D

btw, when I place a molten salt reactor on a ship in the VAB the price is negative?! it have been this for a while I think.. and I think the normal generator has like 1.3 energy units space to store.. when 1000 is normally normal :)

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, any KSPI reactor core temperature is higher than the MaxDecomposition Temperature for Hydrazine and Ammonia, meaning the will fully decompose. For ammonia this 1100 C, and for Hydrazine aoout 800.

In the code, though (line 684 & 685 in thermalnozzlecontroller.cs) it looks like it is only calculating the decomposition thrust bonus if both max & min decomp temps are strictly greater than 0?

So I was using the NERV engine and got to the reactor system interface menu. I hit the shutdown button hoping I would be able to keep my waste heat down. The engine will no longer burn liquid fuel. Is there something I can do to get the engine producing thrust again?

2 hours ago, Guantar said:

So I was using the NERV engine and got to the reactor system interface menu. I hit the shutdown button hoping I would be able to keep my waste heat down. The engine will no longer burn liquid fuel. Is there something I can do to get the engine producing thrust again?

restartiarting a Nuckear engine requires a kerbal engineer on EVA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.