[1.3.1] ScienceAlert 1.9.1: Experiment availability feedback (10.feb.18)

DennyTX

1 minute ago, UnanimousCoward said:

I quit out of the game, then manually replaced the contents of the "default" profile part of profiles.cfg with the content of the profile that I saved.

Laborious perhaps, and there may be a smarter way of doing it, but it works for me and saves me having to tell it to load a different profile every time I play.

Yes, laborious for sure. You have given me an idea, though. What if we make a copy of the default profiles.cfg file, save it somewhere else. Make it contain only one profile, "default", but make all the changes you want using a text editor (easy find and replace). Then create a .bat file to launch KSP that copies and replaces the stock profiles.cfg with our modified one.

It's an "easy find and replace" when you know what to look for...

I wanted it to pop up the button if I had collected less than 90% of the available science. I wasn't sure what to replace "Filter = Unresearched" with in profiles.cfg. (I'm still not, having deleted my earlier copy of ScienceAlert.) So I made the changes in the GUI.

Plus, you have to make the change to every type of science experiment, and I'm fairly sure that ScienceAlert populates the list of experiments on startup. So you'd have to run the game at least once to fill the profile with the right experiments, and change at least one experiment through the in-game GUI to figure out what to put in the "Filter" line for each experiment.

Once you've done that, yes, a simple find/replace would work. (And in fact that's what I plan to do this time, only without all the batch file shenanigans.)

2 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

I wanted it to pop up the button if I had collected less than 90% of the available science. I wasn't sure what to replace "Filter = Unresearched" with in profiles.cfg. (I'm still not, having deleted my earlier copy of ScienceAlert.) So I made the changes in the GUI.

If you make the changes in the GUI and then save as a new profile, the cfg file gets updated immediately. That's how I figured out changing "Unresearched" to "NotMaxed".

12 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Yes, laborious for sure. You have given me an idea, though. What if we make a copy of the default profiles.cfg file, save it somewhere else. Make it contain only one profile, "default", but make all the changes you want using a text editor (easy find and replace). Then create a .bat file to launch KSP that copies and replaces the stock profiles.cfg with our modified one.

well, maybe the best solution would be to have the code fixed :)

would you like to open an issue on github about it? maybe some kind modder will listen to our prayers :wink:

21 hours ago, aat said:

well, maybe the best solution would be to have the code fixed :)

would you like to open an issue on github about it? maybe some kind modder will listen to our prayers :wink:

Hey guys, I've fixed a couple of bugs for this mod (the lag on entering flight and changing SOI, and the facility level restrictions), and I'd be happy to have a look at this profiles bug too. But unfortunately haven't heard back from the OP about merging the changes, so the fixes aren't getting released.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to release updated versions (say, on my fork on GitHub) at least until we get the proper version updated? Or does this violate the author's rights or something?

40 minutes ago, jefftimlin said:

Hey guys, I've fixed a couple of bugs for this mod (the lag on entering flight and changing SOI, and the facility level restrictions), and I'd be happy to have a look at this profiles bug too. But unfortunately haven't heard back from the OP about merging the changes, so the fixes aren't getting released.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to release updated versions (say, on my fork on GitHub) at least until we get the proper version updated? Or does this violate the author's rights or something?

@jefftimlin Yes your fixes work great! My understanding of the GPL license that this is under is that it allows you do pretty much whatever you want as long as you use the same license (I could be wrong about this). If you are going to become the maintainer, I would recommend starting a new release thread.

I know I would greatly appreciate you taking it over.

3 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@jefftimlin Yes your fixes work great! My understanding of the GPL license that this is under is that it allows you do pretty much whatever you want as long as you use the same license (I could be wrong about this). If you are going to become the maintainer, I would recommend starting a new release thread.

I know I would greatly appreciate you taking it over.

I guess I was just more interested in making an updated DLL available until the current maintainer (hopefully) comes back and reintegrates the changes. I'm not clear on the process for taking over maintenance on a mod or releasing it under a new name, and I think it's too early to call it abandoned at this point.

3 minutes ago, jefftimlin said:

I guess I was just more interested in making an updated DLL available until the current maintainer (hopefully) comes back and reintegrates the changes. I'm not clear on the process for taking over maintenance on a mod or releasing it under a new name, and I think it's too early to call it abandoned at this point.

Yeah I get that. I believe you are allowed to post a link to your fork in this thread. I've seen it done with other mods.

As far as I'm aware, as long as the licence allows it, you can post your own version here, either linking to your fork or in its own release thread.

Science Alert is released under the GPL licence, so as long as your version sticks to that licence, credits the original author(s), and provides at least a link to the source code, I think it should be fine.

However, I'm no expert and this particular case doesn't seem to be covered in the "Add-on posting rules". Maybe @Snark or another mod would be able to clarify?

Edit: I compiled your version of this great mod and it works great, so I'm definitely in favour of making it more widely available.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

Can someone share a new DLL, I'm good with mods, was able to find your Github fork @jefftimlin, but don't know how to compile it.

Right now everything is working for me except for the GUI and xScience just isn't the same. - I want to be able to trigger the experiment.

Edited by Amhran

11 hours ago, jefftimlin said:

Do the following for now:

• Change the name in some way to indicate it is a different mod than the original
  • Post a release-ready zip on your github account.
  • Send a PM to @DennyTX.  I know he is around, I recently returned control of HullcamVDS to him. In the message, you can offer to take it over if you want to.
  • Post a link to your repo here.  Since it will be on github,  you will satisfy the requirment to make the source available
  • Wait some time, he does have a real life

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do the following for now:

• Change the name in some way to indicate it is a different mod than the original
  • Post a release-ready zip on your github account.
  • Send a PM to @DennyTX.  I know he is around, I recently returned control of HullcamVDS to him. In the message, you can offer to take it over if you want to.
  • Post a link to your repo here.  Since it will be on github,  you will satisfy the requirment to make the source available
  • Wait some time, he does have a real life

Thanks @linuxgurugamer. Will do.

Please find my updated version here: https://github.com/jefftimlin/ScienceAlert-Updated/releases

Changes:

• Fixed issue with low FPS for 20 seconds or so when entering flight or changing SOI
  • Fixed EVA and surface sample experiments to respect the facility level restrictions in career mode
  • Fixed issue with not being able to overwrite existing profiles

Edit: This is built for KSP v1.3.1.

Edited by jefftimlin
Mention supported KSP version

4 hours ago, jefftimlin said:

Please find my updated version here: https://github.com/jefftimlin/ScienceAlert-Updated/releases

Changes:

• Fixed issue with low FPS for 20 seconds or so when entering flight or changing SOI
  • Fixed EVA and surface sample experiments to respect the facility level restrictions in career mode

Thanks for the release. Doesn't work as is, though. I opened the solution in VS and the references for 1.4.1 were missing. I did a recompile with current ref's and it's working great, including the fix for the profile bug!

5 hours ago, jefftimlin said:

Changes:

I assume this was for 1.3.1, you should mention that in your release notes

13 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Thanks for the release. Doesn't work as is, though. I opened the solution in VS and the references for 1.4.1 were missing. I did a recompile with current ref's and it's working great, including the fix for the profile bug!

They do, in 1.3.1

34 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

It didn't even occur to me that he could be updating for 1.3.1. Recompile works great.

Wellll, the thread is still for 1.3.1 :-)

that being said, I’m already using a local compile with his patches for my main game, which is still 1.3.1

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I assume this was for 1.3.1, you should mention that in your release notes

Ah, yes sorry I should have mentioned that. I haven't made any changes to support 1.4.1, I'm just using the same version 1.3.1 as the original mod.

2 hours ago, jefftimlin said:

You are missing the entire Textures folder, and you need to update the paths which reference the icons in that folder:

https://github.com/jefftimlin/ScienceAlert-Updated/blob/8c4e2ea655ca5cd88aeeb1e96e745f5138ef688c/ScienceAlert.Toolbar/BlizzyInterface.cs#L12

Also, when you do put in the directory, make sure that the case of the directory is the same as what you have in code, so it will work on Mac and Linux

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You are missing the entire Textures folder, and you need to update the paths which reference the icons in that folder:

https://github.com/jefftimlin/ScienceAlert-Updated/blob/8c4e2ea655ca5cd88aeeb1e96e745f5138ef688c/ScienceAlert.Toolbar/BlizzyInterface.cs#L12

Also, when you do put in the directory, make sure that the case of the directory is the same as what you have in code, so it will work on Mac and Linux

There's no textures folder in the original release either. The textures are embedded into the DLL, and I verified they show up correctly during the game. Are you sure they're needed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.