SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

I think I haz a bug.

Shouldn't mailing be sent as a hidden copy to each recipient? Because now it is sent as a regular copy with mails of users subscribed to a mod (as I persume) available in the header.

1 minute ago, Ald said:

I think I haz a bug.

Shouldn't mailing be sent as a hidden copy to each recipient? Because now it is sent as a regular copy with mails of users subscribed to a mod (as I persume) available in the header.

Oh, good point. The recipients should be BCC, not all in the "To". I'll open an issue on the github.

Hey folks, web guy checking in :)

One super quick trick for getting more regular, speedy server responses is to hook up a CDN. In the case of Spacedock, CloudFlare has a free service that ticks off a thousand little speed best-practice boxes, and setup takes maybe 15 minutes if you know what a DNS is.

For actual bandwidth usage, you might find that your host's pricing structure is set up for conventional websites and that a site dedicated to warehousing and sharing large files is better served by a targeted provider. I don't know for sure but I think Rackspace and its competitors have solutions specifically designed for bulk file transfer, which means you pay a lot less per GB.

Hope that helps!

The SpaceDock team reports SpaceDock.info is now live and fully operational. CKAN should be able to pull now from SpaceDock without issue. The team is celebrating now in #spacedock at this accomplishment.

Awesome work by all, and thanks to all who helped get this project up and running!

8 hours ago, inigma said:

The SpaceDock team reports SpaceDock.info is now live and fully operational. CKAN should be able to pull now from SpaceDock without issue. The team is celebrating now in #spacedock at this accomplishment.

Awesome work by all, and thanks to all who helped get this project up and running!

Wow! It didn't even take a week! Great job @inigma

6 hours ago, GDJ said:

Well, money is a big issue. Even spread across 10 people all the time, $200/month is a bit of a nut to handle.

I would suggest a monthly subscription. $2/month is very reasonable.

AND...(putting on flame retardant coveralls)

Advertising. Sorry to mention this but business's want advertising to sell their merchandise, and SpaceDock needs a steady income that can pay for the bandwidth.

If SpaceDock is going to survive, it can't be run for the love of the game. It has to be run like a business.

Think of SpaceDock as.....a true alternative to Curse. Show it off like it is a true alternative to Curse.

There has to be a non-intrusive advertising method.

1 minute ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

What are you guys planning to do about the speed of the site?(it is very slow) will you guys be updating to a new server or increasing the bandwidth or something??

I just tried getting in and the home page was up in 3 seconds, the first random mod came up within 5 seconds.

Whatcha talkin' 'bout?

Just now, RYU AZUKU99 said:

I think what happened was when I got on there was alot of people so it might have slowed it down

Yeah, that can happen to me and I'm on a pretty good Broadband service. So far 8 AM and 3 PM MST seems to be the best times to get ripping fast internet. The rest of the time it's just ...okay fast.

7 minutes ago, Sampa said:

wait, what happened to kerbalstuff?

The person who was running the site shut it down because it was too expensive/too much for just him to handle alone. So members of the community have decided to take up to make and run its replacement. There is a statement he put on kerbalstuff.com if you want to read it.

as i stated earlier today we discovered a hd was close to death and it was swaped for a new one. my monitoring tells me average site generation is down to 0.53s bandwidth usage is max 8% so no reason for it to be slow anymore.

i will repeat: NO ADS on spacedock!

if you wish to support donate on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2903335&ty=p

but i made sure we can survive without donations if we must.

if you dont want to sign up for patreon you can ask the guys on the team via #spacedock on irc.esper.net  for their address and order them something nice like a cake or some massage seats :)

also its an ongoing discussion if we allow sponsorships of comapnys and in turn make a "thank you" page with logos and links.

everything is good on the station that is spacedock so join us there.

p.s. now we are working on the logo

Edited by VITAS

What's the best way to handle moving all of our old CKAN references to SpaceDock?

• Wait a few days for things to shake out.
  • PRs to NetKAN to change things over
  • Some automated system for changing them over
  • Asking this question in the CKAN thread :D