JacobJHC

The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continuation for 1.4/ Making History

I'd like to try this challenge too but despite having around 2000 hours on this game, I never landed on any Julian's moons except Bop O_o

As of all challenges, the more expertise you get through multiple landing & transfers, the easiest it becomes!

This was supposed to be a quick and dirty (stock) Jool 5 attempt but yesterday, when I was almost finished and landing back on Kerbin, I decided to read the rules. No clipping. Hmmm - weren't those nukes originally clipping into the ADTP-2-3 joining the booster and preventing it from staging? Eventually the only way I could get rid of it was by turning the engines on and exploding it. Hardly an advantage but rules tend to be rules. It was, like now, (not so) early in the morning and of the available options - hide/cheat/ignore it, beg for leniency or repeat the challenge - only one was honorable.

Honor was not my first choice.

I decided to see if some integrity would return with a few hours sleep and happily it did.A few cups of coffee after waking and my ships had been scoured for clipping with a fine tooth comb as well as being modified to fix the odd shortcoming noticed the day before.

Soon after I set sail amongst the stars again and this time found everything a lot easier. All landings, for example, were perfect first time - even on Tylo. (Those crashes yesterday really paid off.) The route yesterday was harder though. Today I started at Laythe and worked my way outwards which is very easy. Yesterday I did Tylo-Vall-Bop-Laythe-Pol.

Two rocket launches were used to take a mothership and lander into LKO. The same lander was used for all landings. The booster used to take the lander into orbit transferred remaining fuel to the mothership before the lander docked with it prior to transferring to Jool. The lander had a small ISRU and (today) the mothership had a large ISRU. Funny that I was sweating about the extra weight today but didn't even come close to running out of fuel. The mothership held room for six Kerbals and the lander had room for two more but only six Kerbals were taken. Bill landed on all moons for the sake of the mining and a different Kerbal accompanied him on every new moon but because both the lander and the mothership landed on Pol, all Kerbals landed on Pol.

A stock install was used - no mods.

Two days and two Jool 5 missions. Wow, it would be really nice if this one was ok, but if it's not, please try and let me down easy.

Imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/hG0Vm1V

Tylo circularization burn

5J8oQXF.png

• Like 3

Congratulations @mystifeid for completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 3! I really liked your lander, I haven't seen those making history engines used by anyone here yet. I also liked how you were able to make a universal lander that could handle all the moons. A lander like that has to be very adaptable. Overall, through and through great job!

16 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Congratulations @mystifeid for completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 3! I really liked your lander, I haven't seen those making history engines used by anyone here yet. I also liked how you were able to make a universal lander that could handle all the moons. A lander like that has to be very adaptable. Overall, through and through great job!

You know, I always forget that those engines were part of the DLC. There are other options though - four Skippers or even three Mainsails can be substituted for the Skiffs. Maybe fewer of these engines can be used but I just tested these configurations. Fuel tanks are bigger (particularly for the Mainsails) adding more weight but since fuel was never a problem and no aerobraking or gravity assists were used, I don't think the extra weight would matter. The lander with four Skippers was actually the easiest of the three to land and I'm kind of regretting not thinking of trying this in the first place.

Usually I just see if a rocket can SSTO to a 150km Kerbin orbit. If it can do that, it can usually handle Tylo and Laythe - provided it takes an ISRU and a drill to the surface. But what the hey - below is the four Skipper variant landing on Tylo and Laythe starting from the same orbital height as in the original mission - 200km.

A couple of small notes regarding your summary of my mission - it was Bill that landed on all moons and the album has not been linked.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words and also for not requiring me to do this mission again!

Y6z0hTk.png

ujBylsV.png