linuxgurugamer

[1.5.x] KSP Resonant Orbit Calculator

On 10/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The up/down buttons is a problem, I'll get that fixed.

The KAC buttons only make sense if you are using the current Pe or Ap of an existing vessel already in orbit, otherwise they won't be shown.  In your image, it appears you are trying to do that on the launch pad.

Yes I was trying from the launchpad:P Thanks for your work.

New release, 0.0.3.3

• Added KOPERNICUS_NOTES
  • Fixed check for pre-existing planet thumbnail, if it exists, don't bother to regenerate
  • Build for 1.5
  • Like 2

Could you add a readout that shows the length of the actual LOS?

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Not at this time, a bit busy.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:22 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Hey Gordon, what’s the use case for providing this information?  (I ask as the author of the original web-based tool.)

• Like 1

@meyerweb To use it also as a helper in planning the antennas for relay in VAB - especially with RemoteTech.

A constellation of relay satellites uses dishes for long lange communication, the relays inbetween could/should use omni antennas for inter-communication and to the ground.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:22 AM, Gordon Dry said:

I'm not sure the LOS is the right thing to get the length of.  To me, the most important thing would be the minimum distance between two satellites .

But, which would you prefer?  The length of the LOS, or shortest distance between two nodes (ie:  two satellites)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

18 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@meyerweb To use it also as a helper in planning the antennas for relay in VAB - especially with RemoteTech.

A constellation of relay satellites uses dishes for long lange communication, the relays inbetween could/should use omni antennas for inter-communication and to the ground.

If I’ve understood you correctly, you want to make sure the satellites in the constellation can talk to each other—make sure whatever antenna you’re putting on the satellites will have enough range to overlap each others’ positions.  Yes?

@meyerweb Yes. Yes.

Because of the lack of other helpful tools to achieve that.

• Spoiler

• I don't like to use rules of thumb.
    • I don't like to rely on some speadsheets neither (which mostly only contain stock antennas and have values for the stock solar system).

24 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@meyerweb Yes. Yes.

Because of the lack of other helpful tools to achieve that.

Hmmm.  An interesting challenge, but one that does make some sense to think about and possibly deal with.  I’m pondering the idea of having a place to pick an antenna—or input the antenna parameters, for non-stock antennae—and then show their transmission ranges as circles in the display.  That would show whether satellites are in range of each other.  But right now it’s no more than idle pondering, and that idea may not work given the antenna-power combination-range rules I seem to remember dealing with in the past.

Out of curiosity, do you usually have one or two powerful relay satellite(s) that can “phone home”, and the rest of the constellation use antennae that need only reach each other?

11 minutes ago, meyerweb said:

I’m pondering the idea of having a place to pick an antenna—or input the antenna parameters, for non-stock antennae—and then show their transmission ranges as circles in the display.

@JH4C that one only works for stock CommNet and also has issues with Kerbalism

17 minutes ago, meyerweb said:

Out of curiosity, do you usually have one or two powerful relay satellite(s) that can “phone home”, and the rest of the constellation use antennae that need only reach each other?

Usually for the "normal" 1st gen relaying I use 3 or 4 similar satellites which all have at least one direct/omni (RT) antenna and one relay/dish (RT) antenna which can reach at least Minmus.
Later then the next gen relay for further distances will be deployed.

But all of them in a constellation are equal and are deployed in a resonant orbit.

Edited by Gordon Dry

4 hours ago, JH4C said:

Ooooo…

Edited by meyerweb

@linuxgurugamer I just wanted to thank you for this mod. I had a feeling that resonant orbit calculator is the last piece missing to have complete KSP experience inside the game itself. I found this mod today and after 36 mods installed I finally feel that KSP as a game is complete :).

• Like 1

Spent  hours trying to get non black images for planets, but to no avail.

Mods: Only this,its dependencies and mm

Delete both mm cache and mod's cache.

reinstalled ksp

standard graphics

ksp 1.6.1

log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zx12a09kup2fh9/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/745nrqebbhrud2s/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by ssd21345

7 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

Spent  hours trying to get non black images for planets, but to no avail.

Mods: Only this,its dependencies and mm

Delete both mm cache and mod's cache.

reinstalled ksp

standard graphics

ksp 1.6.1

log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zx12a09kup2fh9/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/745nrqebbhrud2s/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks for the report, I'll look at it this evening

• Like 1

New release, 0.0.4

• Updated code from KittopiaTech to make the thumbnail generation working again

@ssd21345

This should fix your issue

• Like 1

Does this work when you launch things one-by-one like the TDRS communication sats? Does this account for the phase angle of the first TDRS you launched , then give you a maneuver node to resonate with it? I have so much problems trying ot keep a 120 degree spacing between 3 TDRS's 

4 hours ago, lextacy said:

Does this work when you launch things one-by-one like the TDRS communication sats? Does this account for the phase angle of the first TDRS you launched , then give you a maneuver node to resonate with it? I have so much problems trying ot keep a 120 degree spacing between 3 TDRS's 

Nope, this mod does not account any phase angles.

I guess you can work around this by setting up a rendevouz with the first TDRS, then burn into a resonant orbit orbit (for 120°, take one for 3 satellites) and release the second TDRS the next time you cross the AP or Pe, depending on your orbit. This is very fuel inefficent but it should work

• Like 1

This is a must have Mod for me to get a satellite network in a synchronous orbit with the satellites equally spaced apart.  Thanks for this great tool! The one thing that I couldn’t figure out is how to get at least 1 satellite in a stationary orbit directly over the KCS (or any other spot above any planet or moon).  To do that I created a KOS script to create a burn node at the right time and the right dV.  Using your mod with the KOS script makes this process very easy.  Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing. 

https://github.com/Petruchio96/KOS-Scripts/blob/master/SyncLong.ks

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Petrucio said:

This is a must have Mod for me to get a satellite network in a synchronous orbit with the satellites equally spaced apart.  Thanks for this great tool! The one thing that I couldn’t figure out is how to get at least 1 satellite in a stationary orbit directly over the KCS (or any other spot above any planet or moon).  To do that I created a KOS script to create a burn node at the right time and the right dV.  Using your mod with the KOS script makes this process very easy.  Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing. 

https://github.com/Petruchio96/KOS-Scripts/blob/master/SyncLong.ks

Nice.

Would you mind if I use it as a source to add the functionality to this mod (or another, not sure yet which one)?  with full credit, of course

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nice.

Would you mind if I use it as a source to add the functionality to this mod (or another, not sure yet which one)?  with full credit, of course

Absolutely, please do.  I'd love to see this added to this or another mod.