Omega's Stockalike Utility Vehicles: OSUV [1.5.1]

Omega482

thx - i try it

About whell (so, its fairy dark image):

cTLKIKa.jpg

"backrest" - its "Google Translator creation",  I'm writing to the translator :wacko:

Some things then sound different, as they are thought

Edited by kyklop

Dont forget people, these are not exact copies of Squads stock vehicles... Altho these are very close to stock, Omega had to model these basically from scratch, since Squad stock assets are not redistributable...

So there will most likely be small things (like tire width), that wont match perfectly.

12 hours ago, kyklop said:

-snip-

About whell (so, its fairy dark image):

-snip-

Hi Kyklop! Let me address the concerns you raised about the wheel size! Firstly I'd like to say that this is such a minor visual thing, I don't really think it's worth changing. But let's go through why I won't be able to change it.
pUlRvCy.pngFo6dq1b.pnglyG9EmM.png

This is a picture of the current chassis and wheel sizes. This is the actual size of them in the model, take a good look at the sizes. You might see a problem here, the wheel is actually too wide to fit inside the chassis wheel arch already! The wheel assembly is 0.45m wide. The Chassis wheel well is 0.40m wide!

The wheel assembly only just fits inside the wheel well because I tweaked how it attached to the chassis. It was very tight and there is a little clipping. There really is no more room. Take a look at the middle picture. This is how the wheels are set up currently. I can't make the wheel suspension system any smaller either!

The last picture, I made the wheel wider like you suggested. But as you can see, there is no room for it. SO it would stick out and be very ugly.

Here's a little behind the scenes picture of how I re-created the stock trucks. I just want to emphasize that these aren't copies of the models ripped from the game and so some of the proportions will be different to the ones you see around KSC. You're not actually allowed to just rip the models from the game and redistribute them as a mod. That breaks the EULA.

O8AxRrm.png

It was a very simple process really. I used sketchup to draw out the correct size faces on the texture sheet. I then cut them out and started folding along the edge lines. It was much like origami or making a paper model.

Once all the parts were "folded" I stitched them together. With a little mirroring of the pieces, you get the KSC trucks!

Edited by Omega482

1 hour ago, Electr0ninja said:

This mod is pretty cool. I wonder how hard it would be to get the crates to act as KIS storage units.

As soon as I can figure out how to do that with part variants, I'll add it!

Currently working in some changes to the crates, the centre of mass was off and lead to some strange behaviour!

Edited by Omega482

Kottabos has some fair commentary. I should really make the decorative crates have more of a purpose. KIS integration would be great for this. I'll also add in working lights.
Not sure if I'm convinced that I should do an IVA yet.

Edited by Omega482

Thank you Omega, very cool. 

Jokes aside, this is a very cool, promising mod. Congrats on the release! I agree with Kottabos on the lights and potential uses for crates and such. But I understand that IVAs are difficult to implement, especially given that the mod uses stock textures. I don't use IVAs that much though anyways. Perhaps the Utility units could act as auxiliary power units and produce EC from LF and IntakeAir like the cab engines?

I can't use my computer now, so I'd like to ask before I test it out. Is the EC output of the cab engine based on vehicle throttle? Is wheel speed? If not, could one be implemented? I've always liked the idea of being able to throttle your speed, much like a car with cruise control.

Again, congratulations on the release. Now you'll have more time to work on that exciting stockalike structures mod! :wink:

2 minutes ago, Mister_Spaceman said:

Perhaps the Utility units could act as auxiliary power units

Hi Mister_Spaceman! I think that's what I'll be doing. From what Kottabos showed it's apparent that electric charge runs out quickly for the large vehicles with large loads. So I'll probably make the Utility Units auxiliary power units with bigger batteries and a higher EC output. So pretty much exactly what you suggested.

5 minutes ago, Mister_Spaceman said:

Is the EC output of the cab engine based on vehicle throttle? Is wheel speed? If not, could one be implemented?

It's just a constant EC output I think right now? I don't think it can be linked to wheel speed or throttle without a custom plugin.

Thanks for the great feedback!

8 minutes ago, Omega482 said:

It's just a constant EC output I think right now? I don't think it can be linked to wheel speed or throttle without a custom plugin.

I believe saw something like that in one of @SpannerMonkey(smce)'s mods. I think there was an option to link generator output to throttle. That way, you could put vehicles into a llw-power/low-consumption mode to keep them active and alive if you were away. I thought it was a neat concept, but may not be as applicable in this mod.

Speaking of this mod: was there ever a dev thread or anything for it? The first that I heard of it was that Reddit post a day or two ago. 

There wasn't ever a Dev thread. It was a side project, I fancied making something other than buildings! After OSUV has had a couple little fixes and tweaks I can get back to the KK statics.

Edited by Omega482

5 hours ago, Mister_Spaceman said:

Is the EC output of the cab engine based on vehicle throttle? Is wheel speed? If not, could one be implemented? I've always liked the idea of being able to throttle your speed, much like a car with cruise control.

5 hours ago, Omega482 said:

The engine looks like a Fuel Cell (converter module) in disguise right now, and as with any rover, motion is driven only by WASD input.

To have EC generation alone controllable by throttle, the "engine" would have to be replaced with a proper engine module with no linked thrust transform and all emphasis placed on its alternator.

To have this and cruise control, the cab would need to have a thrust transform added and the proper engine would be able to produce thrust. instead, or in addition to this, the wheel mounts could have the proper engine module and would sip or slurp on the IntakeAir and EC held in the cab. Then you could build OP trucks that could comfortably pull or push quite a lot of load, as long as the cab can sustain them. And even beyond that, the wheel mounts could be dual-mode, enabling Forward and Reverse drive.

And then the currently featureless utility support part could serve as an extra power source if ever extra power is needed for the wheel mounts' engines.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 11/15/2018 at 1:10 PM, Omega482 said:

Unless i can make an IVA out of squads textures. 

I may do it in the future, but probably as a optional expansion pack.

• in the meanwhile, can you make a "empty" IVA, for just showing their avatars or even use an IVA from the stock cockpits.
  • the cubic boxes can store an ore or a monoprop
  • cck-rovers tag for all parts
Edited by flart

11 minutes ago, Catatau_27 said:

the two folders of the mod have to be separated inside the GameData

expected this way, but I think you can, at least for now, put the folders whatever you want to, because the part's configs don't have any path in them and the dll most likely doesn't depend on its path

Edited by flart

3 hours ago, Catatau_27 said:

I'm not sure how to put the folders right inside the GameData, the two folders of the mod have to be separated inside the GameData

Like so:

tQky2kQ.png

Just paste them alongside Squad in your GameData folder.

3 hours ago, flart said:

but I think you can, at least for now, put the folders whatever you want to, because the part's configs don't have any path in them and the dll most likely doesn't depend on its path

^ You are correct about that. But best practice is to install like above. That way people can avoid duplicate installs.

New Version Available

xdjU85b.png

Version 0.0.31 Changelog

• S1 and S2 cabs now have headlights and cabin lights.
  • Better Ladder and hatch colliders on S1 and S2 cabs.
  • Wheel physics improved, no more infinite bouncing.
  • Centre of mass changed for the Wooden Crates, Tool Cases and Fuselage Sections
  • Wooden Crates and Tool Cases now have KIS compatibility.
  • Utility Support Unit is now a high output electric charge generator.
  • Minor fixes to S1 short flatbed attach nodes.
  • Added descriptions in the config files for all parts.

>>>>DOWNLOAD HERE

Edited by Omega482

4 hours ago, Omega482 said:

New Version Available

xdjU85b.png

Version 0.0.31 Changelog

• S1 and S2 cabs now have headlights and cabin lights.
  • Better Ladder and hatch colliders on S1 and S2 cabs.
  • Wheel physics improved, no more infinite bouncing.
  • Centre of mass changed for the Wooden Crates, Tool Cases and Fuselage Sections
  • Wooden Crates and Tool Cases now have KIS compatibility.
  • Utility Support Unit is now a high output electric charge generator.
  • Minor fixes to S1 short flatbed attach nodes.
  • Added descriptions in the config files for all parts.

>>>>DOWNLOAD HERE

That is a FAST update! :D

EDIT: When I was testing the new version, it seems like the textures of parts in the part selection menu are missing, but when they are placed in the VAB or SPH they seem to have the correct textures.

Edited by wlr2678

34 minutes ago, wlr2678 said:

When I was testing the new version, it seems like the textures of parts in the part selection menu are missing, but when they are placed in the VAB or SPH they seem to have the correct textures.

That shouldn't happen. Will look into it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.