Cotton growing on the Moon

KSK

2 minutes ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

Is this the beginning stage of China's version of terraforming?

Just so you know, China has repeatedly made the idea of a far-side moon base - they say "for astronomy". And to the best of my knowledge they've gained more traction than the western side do.

Although, still one question to ask :

It is one thing to see something grow - it is another to see something harvested and used.

Teosinte-600x363.gif

Onto the harvesting mission !

38 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Going to be a rough time for that cotton plant, with 2 week long nights.

Pretty sure the artificial lights will take care of that.

================================

This environment apparently contains fruit fly eggs too, and they intended it to be self-sustaining, like those bottled gardens sometimes made on Earth. Depending on how well things go, it may be able to last a very long time, a tiny ecosystem out of sight of its origin planet.

https://www.iflscience.com/space/we-have-some-terrible-news-about-the-seedling-that-sprouted-on-the-moon/

By the sounds of things, this was anticipated by the researchers on the project. 

"Life in the canister would not survive the lunar night," chief scientist of the experiment Professor Xie Gengxin of Chongqing University told Xinhua Chinese state media.

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish
Not sure how reputable this website is. My sister linked this to me.

17 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

What annoys me is the stupid secrecy CNSA perpetuates. Just say the truth, geez. Was it supposed to die, or not? Yes, no? Big deal. :huh:

Given that it was supposed to be a mini-ecosystem and that they spent about a million dollars on it (I think), I'm going with no. Also, whilst they were happy to announce their success, they weren't exactly slow to announce their failure a few days later. That doesn't seem particularly secretive to me.

As to what caused the failure - we'll probably never know. Heck - they might never know. 

15 hours ago, 55delta said:

Okay...note to self...

…When intending to grow anything on the Moon, bring a very good heater and a really, really good (and full) battery.

A full battery helps, but you need one that can provide enough electricity through the lunar night and be fully charged with whatever isn't needed during the lunar day.  With a month-long "day", that is a lot of battery capacity (mostly thanks to the heaters, but perhaps enough insulation will be enough).

3 hours ago, johnmorris said:

And this box was located on a spacecraft? Not on Moon surface, right?

I'm pretty sure the box is in a spacecraft and the spacecraft is on the Moon''s surface. I'm also pretty sure the box was sealed so that there was air in the box. What the box didn't have were reliable sources of heat and light.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, Kerwood Floyd said:

I'm pretty sure the box is in a spacecraft and the spacecraft is on the Moon''s surface. I'm also pretty sure the box was sealed so that there was air in the box. What the box didn't have were reliable sources of heat and light.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. It's a shame that it didn't make it. Nevertheless, it's a good start.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.