Apollo 11 Movie

tater

15 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Aw man, it doesn't seem to be coming here. Maybe I need to wait to see if it gets on the schedule in a week or so.

I'm thinking it's not coming to New Mexico at all. Grrr.

Wonder if I can see it in London in a couple weeks?

1 hour ago, soboring356 said:

always a fan of sci-fi and really looking forward to watching the movie

It's 100% real footage.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, it'll be sort of here, about 70km away..

If I can't manage to see it here or on my trip to the UK, I'll fly to LA or something, watch it, then fly home.

(actually, Phoenix is only 50 minutes by plane, they must have it)

The closest theater to me is in Kansas City, about 3 hours away.  Looks like it'll be a rental :(

That really sucks, but not surprising.  I normally hate going to the theater, because people are terrible.  But the people seeing this would be my kind of people.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:19 AM, tater said:

Found this interview with Neil Armstrong, I quite enjoyed it.

"It was special, and memorable, but it was only instantaneous because there was work to do" (34:29)

It's nice to know that although he was focused on the mission, he still took a second to reflect on what he was doing. Hard to tell from just the original footage.

Edited by EchoLima

Driving down to see it in Phoenix tonight. Early birthday wish. Wife thinks I'm a nutter. (Well, wife always thinks I'm a nutter, so nothing new there.)

========================================

Update: Saw the movie last night. It was good. Definitely "Drive an hour to another city to see it," good. I don't know if it's, "Fly to another state to see it," good, @tater. The launch scene is worth seeing in IMAX, the rest of it would probably be just as good on a decent home theater screen. (Although I have to say, I think my middle child stopped breathing during the LM descent. :D )

Edited by TheSaint

On 3/4/2019 at 8:28 AM, TheSaint said:

Driving down to see it in Phoenix tonight. Early birthday wish. Wife thinks I'm a nutter. (Well, wife always thinks I'm a nutter, so nothing new there.)

========================================

Update: Saw the movie last night. It was good. Definitely "Drive an hour to another city to see it," good. I don't know if it's, "Fly to another state to see it," good, @tater. The launch scene is worth seeing in IMAX, the rest of it would probably be just as good on a decent home theater screen. (Although I have to say, I think my middle child stopped breathing during the LM descent. :D )

LOL, I might see it in London next week (I'll be there, anyway). Amazing I can't see the movie right here in 'murica!

Woot! Theaters here finally have showtimes for Friday. Other movies have opening day tickets for purchase weeks in advance. This one literally showed up this morning as showing in 2 days.

Friday it is, then.

Took my son just now (they're off on Spring Break).

Awesome.

My favorite shots were when it switched from the CCTV cams of them going up to the CM to the 70mm shots looking UP with the clouds moving by. Stunning.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, TheSaint said:

I don't know if it's, "Fly to another state to see it," good, @tater

I'd say that it is almost that good... I just saw it. Snuck out to watch the late showing after the kids were asleep, because I had to see it on the big screen. Brilliant!

On 3/3/2019 at 8:51 AM, Dan Kerman said:

We saw it yesterday...  the footage is incredible. Still amazed at the accuracy they had using slide rulers.

They did have computers. Just ones that pale in comparison even to the machine I’m writing this on...

7 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

They did have computers. Just ones that pale in comparison even to the machine I’m writing this on...

I'd imagine that all the computers on Earth at the time combined pale in comparison to whatever you are writing on (even a phone ;) ).

My current phone apparently does 5 teraflops. The fastest computer in 1969 apparently did 3 MFLOPS. LOL.

1 hour ago, tater said:

My current phone apparently does 5 teraflops. The fastest computer in 1969 apparently did 3 MFLOPS. LOL.

And I do belly flops.

I want to see this sooner, but there's things going on in my life that are getting in the way.

1 hour ago, tater said:

I'd imagine that all the computers on Earth at the time combined pale in comparison to whatever you are writing on (even a phone ;) ).

Yeah. Not only that but trajectory analysis software is free (GMAT), and a lot of modern computers can handle analyzing a number of trajectories. Turns out it doesn't actually take much processing power for most trajectories, provided you aren't trying to predict too many years into the future...

• 5 months later...

I am still waiting for my Orion nuclear pusher plate launch movie.

Because the premise is just too good not to.

The USA decides to make Orion instead of mothball it, and your average movie goer will finally understands the true power of nukes and thrust to weight ratios.

Really the public in general would be massively educated, and that just may be what it takes to get public/popular support for it.

Just get a bunch of hot 20 somethings to play the astronauts and suddenly everybody will want project orion to happen IRL.

Edited by Spacescifi

2 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

I am still waiting for my Orion nuclear pusher plate launch movie.

Because the premise is just too good not to.

The USA decides to make Orion instead of mothball it, and your average movie goer will finally understands the true power of nukes and thrust to weight ratios.

Really the public in general would be massively educated, and that just may be what it takes to get public/popular support for it.

Just get a bunch of hot 20 somethings to play the astronauts and suddenly everybody will want project orion to happen IRL.

So, they just need to make the novel Footfall (by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) into a movie. Typical alien invasion stuff; the audiences should lap it up. 

Spoiler

It features an Orion-class battlecraft  launch to finally repel the invasion 

There are so many Niven books that need to be made into movies, but that seems to be “Crazy Eddie” talk. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:17 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

There are so many Niven books that need to be made into movies, but that seems to be “Crazy Eddie” talk. 

Mote in God's Eye would be good... just to see those little moties running around fixing stuff.

Only situation I know of when the coffee tasting good is an "oh no" moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.