Mun 180

Nich

So I had an interesting solution to a problem the other day.  I needed to do a 180 around the mun for a rescue contract.  I was in a highly eccentric orbit and I managed to do it for 10 dv.  Can you guess how?

I don't quite understand the wording of the problem. You are above the Mun in a highly eccentric orbit and your target is also in orbit, but on the other side, isn't it? And in a circular orbit, I guess, so you have to not only change your inclination (about which burning closer to the apoapsis and farther from the Mun makes it indeed cheaper) but also circularize, which would in no case cost only 10 m/s. By the way, your target will perform several rotations by the time you reach it, so it won't be on the other side for very long...

Well, I am confused about what "I needed to do a 180 around the mun" means.

Edit : OK, time to go to sleep for me. @Martian Emigrant is right.

Edited by PunkyFickle

@Jon Tash hit it on the head.  Because the Muns SOI is so small even at AP a 180 will cost 120ish dv.  Instead I did a 6 dv burn at and PE left the Muns soi and timed it so that my exit vector was ahead and above the Muns orbit so I would reencounter the Mun in about a 1/4 orbit but in the opposite direction and then had a 4 dv burn to capture.

Forgot how to imbed images so here is a link.

https://imgur.com/a/AUyJZwF

6 hours ago, Nich said:

@Jon Tash hit it on the head.  Because the Muns SOI is so small even at AP a 180 will cost 120ish dv.  Instead I did a 6 dv burn at and PE left the Muns soi and timed it so that my exit vector was ahead and above the Muns orbit so I would reencounter the Mun in about a 1/4 orbit but in the opposite direction and then had a 4 dv burn to capture.

Forgot how to imbed images so here is a link.

https://imgur.com/a/AUyJZwF

I was pretty logic to me to do that manoeuvre.

I had 2 rescue contracts I wanted to do with 1 station in a highly elliptical orbit and a kerbal mover.   Orbits were 167 degrees inclination from each other

I feel like it is more like a 2 body version of Lagrange point unstable orbit maneuver.

Edited by Nich

12 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

NASA would insert into the right inclination to start with.

This seems more like an abuse of the patched conics system

While the specific maneuver Nich used depends on patched conics, in real life you could do this via L1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.