NASA Human Landing System

tater

I was thinking earlier, perhaps just a little overoptimistically, that if Starship pans out as a Moon lander in Artemis, NASA's going to start needing a lot of new astronauts right around the time I become qualified. 

Spoiler

12 hours ago, tater said:
12 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

How is it Cynus-derived if it uses a completely different propulsion system?

Funky round solar panels.

So they are indeed space sails??? And Cygnus is junk?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2gicMx8orJT4Fdzeir4J9622300711_f9ee3f825f_b.jpg

On 5/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, cubinator said:

I was thinking earlier, perhaps just a little overoptimistically, that if Starship pans out as a Moon lander in Artemis, NASA's going to start needing a lot of new astronauts right around the time I become qualified. 

Nice! Do you want to do science or drive the rocket?

39 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Suggestion: padded ceilings on all the landers...Astronauts will want to practice jumping.

That's should be a plan for Russian lander...when they finally put Angara and federation Orel into full operation

44 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

But not really any more details.

Yeah... Starship's lunar variant is just the coolest (I'm probably biased :P) but we're still missing a lot of details, like:

- Why is the exterior white rather than shiny steel? Is it covered in some kind of paint or insulation? I doubt they're planning to build this variant out of entirely different materials, but we don't know. I don't think it's carbon composite, we saw that once they switched to stainless steel the speed of development increased considerably.

- What exactly are the auxiliary thrusters? Are they modified methalox hot-gas RCS, or something else?

And, finally:

- How does NASA feel about SpaceX building Starship out in the open in South Texas?

Hopefully these should be answered as we see more Starship progress, but we'll see.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah... Starship's lunar variant is just the coolest (I'm probably biased :P) but we're still missing a lot of details, like:

- Why is the exterior white rather than shiny steel? Is it covered in some kind of paint or insulation? I doubt they're planning to build this variant out of entirely different materials, but we don't know. I don't think it's carbon composite, we saw that once they switched to stainless steel the speed of development increased considerably.

Painted. It needs insulation on the lunar surface.

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

- What exactly are the auxiliary thrusters? Are they modified methalox hot-gas RCS, or something else?

Same as the standard methane-GOX RCS but with bigger nozzles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"Mr. Loverro ... informed Mr. Chilton that the Chicago aerospace giant was about to be eliminated from the competition based on cost and technical evaluations ... Within days, Boeing submitted a revised proposal."

One of those Berger threads has some interesting points in it. It's not like Boeing doesn't know better. They shouldn't have been given a heads up, but neither should they have done anything (except perhaps to report it).

8 minutes ago, tater said:

One of those Berger threads has some interesting points in it. It's not like Boeing doesn't know better. They shouldn't have been given a heads up, but neither should they have done anything (except perhaps to report it).

This one I think.

23 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

There is a saying at Boeing that every time a senior manager does something unethical, the engineers have to take another ethics training class.

I recently took a job for a defense contractor (no connection to Boeing at all), and one of the things I noticed on the intranet web page was some details about their new "consent decree".  Sure enough, I had to take an ethics training class.

Granted, it was better than the last time I went through similar, which was an Enron-era introduction to our (completely different company, and I think the relevant division has been shut down) new "ethics policy".  If you examined it carefully enough, they made it absolutely clear that they were prepared to claim that the brass at VW during diesel-gate acted perfectly ethically, and that they were right to hang the "rogue engineer" out to dry (at the time, I couldn't think of a good example.  But decades later one came by).  Small wonder that they kinda-sorta wanted any leaving ex-employees to bring back laptops and any other expensive gear, but the one mandatory thing that *must* be returned was your ethics handbook.  I can't imagine what nastier secrets lurked in there that a lawyer might discover.

PS.  I think you mean *caught* doing something unethical.  I can't imagine what would happen if one of them acted ethically.

20 hours ago, wumpus said:

PS.  I think you mean *caught* doing something unethical.  I can't imagine what would happen if one of them acted ethically.

You can't? They would probably gain a significant competitive disadvantage, and their shareholders might even accuse them of breaking some fiduciary rule - prioritizing something other than profit for the company. Somebody would get sacked at the very least, at worst the whole leadership would be disassembled and the company dissolved, its assets and trademarks snatched up by some other actors who'd proceed as before, stretching the limits of ethics as far as they could get away with. 

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.