[New] Space Launch System / Orion Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, darthgently said:

<smh> Maybe they need to pull some shuttle techs out of retirement; though they had their share of hydrogen leaks also I don't remember anything quite this persistent and mystifying

I wonder if the LH2 feed is still Shuttle tech, or if they changed it.

13 minutes ago, tater said:

I wonder if the LH2 feed is still Shuttle tech, or if they changed it.

I understand that armchair quarterbacking is a problem, but I still have to wonder why the seals weren't replaced first, instead of after the second failure. I mean with that many eyes watching, belt same suspenders, right?    

Replacing the seals helped apparently any way.  Heck, if it were an option I'd just swap out the entire fitting en masse if a spare were available and the entire world was tapping is collective foot on hold

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

They did, there were two periods where they had persistent  leaks

More the reason to pull some old brains out of retirement, maybe, lol.  They've seen it before

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

<smh> Maybe they need to pull some shuttle techs out of retirement; though they had their share of hydrogen leaks also I don't remember anything quite this persistent and mystifying

Just out of curiosity; how often did the Shuttle have launch-scrubbing problems related to hydrogen?

32 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Just out of curiosity; how often did the Shuttle have launch-scrubbing problems related to hydrogen?

Idk exacts, but I remember many delays and scrubs.  Hydrogen is hard.  Keep all this in mind when some enthusiast in your life waxes romantic about hydrogen powered cars. 

Those super tiny slippery  little super cold metal embrittling seal shrinking atoms can be a a real pain in the butt

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

I understand that armchair quarterbacking is a problem, but I still have to wonder why the seals weren't replaced first, instead of after the second failure. I mean with that many eyes watching, belt same suspenders, right?    

Replacing the seals helped apparently any way.  Heck, if it were an option I'd just swap out the entire fitting en masse if a spare were available and the entire world was tapping is collective foot on hold

More the reason to pull some old brains out of retirement, maybe, lol.  They've seen it before

Frankly, I think you are bashing them too much.  It's a brand new system, new hardware in many areas, and there have only been a couple of scrubs.  Don't bash them for what are normal development glitches.

14 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Don't bash them for what are normal development glitches.

Saturn V didn't have any scrubs, Space Shuttle's first launch was scrubbed due to a problem with a computer. SLS has been scrubbed twice, and the result of the fuelling test was iffy.

Yes, it's new, but its built in an inherently flawed way, barely kept together by scotch tape and prayers.

7 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It’s not that there are problems, it’s that there are problems after a 5-6 year delay.

SLS was supposed to launch in 2016 or 2017, then in 2018, then in 2021, now it has nearly been a year since then.

This too. Also, for being a lot of re-used tech, it sure does seem to have a lot of unusual issues that never plagued its predecessor (the shuttle), doesn't it?

Edited by intelliCom

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Frankly, I think you are bashing them too much.  It's a brand new system, new hardware in many areas, and there have only been a couple of scrubs.  Don't bash them for what are normal development glitches.

It’s not that there are problems, it’s that there are problems after a 5-6 year delay.

SLS was supposed to launch in 2016 or 2017, then in 2018, then in 2021, now it has nearly been a year since then.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It is US taxpayer supported and years late.  I can comment how I wish, but thanks for playing. I don't think I'm bashing.  I'm a taxpayer with observations

Edited by darthgently

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.