Cannot Weld KAS ports

Union Kerbide

In previous installations of KSP, this was not even remotely an issue.

Today I find myself unable to weld two construction ports together, as I am now informed that they are "root parts" and any attempt to compress them is cancelled.  Verbatim "This port is the root part,  Cancelling"

I have built tons of stuff in orbit and never ran into this before.  any help is greatly appreciated.

I am using KSP ver 1.6.1.2401 and KAS 1.2 via CKAN

Spoiler

Initialize engine version: 2017.1.3p1 (02d73f71d3bd)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvldumdx.dll 26.21.14.3160]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     8082 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0 ATOC=1 BC4=1 BC5=1
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Timeline.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Timeline.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Mono.Cecil.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Mono.Cecil.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\KSPAssets.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\KSPAssets.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\TDx.TDxInput.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\TDx.TDxInput.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\KSPTrackIR.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\KSPTrackIR.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in  0.815 seconds
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\KSP0804\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.

https://mega.nz/#!OT4iWaZa!nQlZtygFSpFGiyx4yErKRaZWgRLnJB54uV6HRXIWLro

Welding - and construction ports - don't have anything to do with KAS.  You're likely working with Konstruction ports from the Konstruction mod.

This is a known issue that occasionally crops up with those ports, that's based on the way the game works.  The mod can't avoid it, just play the numbers.

Luckily the fix when it comes up is typically fairly straightforward: Undock, then using KIS remove the ship from the port, then add the port back to the ship.  (You can also try adding/removing a part someplace else, but it's not as certain a fix.)

I've run into this myself a number of times.  As DStaal points out, there's really no good way around it.

17 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Undock, then using KIS remove the ship from the port,

This... may work.  The problem here is that if the port remains the root after undocking, you can't remove it with KIS/KAS, as trying to grab it will just highlight the whole ship.

Poor Eilpont there just wants to remove the docking port.  Of course, she can't, because the port is the root part.

1ascreenshot8.png

The mod we really need, for the sake of Konstruction and KIS/KAS, is an in-flight re-root tool.  It has to be possible, since it can happen in the VAB/SPH, just no one has made one yet.  Maybe we'll get lucky and a KSP 1 update or KSP 2 will include this feature in stock.

13 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

This... may work.  The problem here is that if the port remains the root after undocking, you can't remove it with KIS/KAS, as trying to grab it will just highlight the whole ship.

Note that I said 'remove ship from port', not 'remove port from ship'...  ;)   (And you'll likely be told it's to heavy to move - so don't *move* it.)

Just now, DStaal said:

Note that I said 'remove ship from port', not 'remove port from ship'...  ;)   (And you'll likely be told it's to heavy to move - so don't *move* it.)

So you did!  Well, either way, it's still not the best workaround, since it would be so difficult to do in most circumstances.

I've been hoping for an in-flight re-root tool pretty much since I figured out how to use the editor one.  Unfortunately such a tool would be utterly pointless in stock, so I think we'll have to wait for a modder to want it bad enough to write one.

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

So you did!  Well, either way, it's still not the best workaround, since it would be so difficult to do in most circumstances.

I've been hoping for an in-flight re-root tool pretty much since I figured out how to use the editor one.  Unfortunately such a tool would be utterly pointless in stock, so I think we'll have to wait for a modder to want it bad enough to write one.

maybe KML?

1 minute ago, zer0Kerbal said:

was going to come back and post this *chuckle* you beat me to the button

Ohh right, right.  I knew this existed, but I've never used it.  I didn't realize it could re-set the root.  I may have to grab it and see if it'll work in Wine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.