Teleported into rock

coyotesfrontier

Let's say you're a mad scientist and decide to teleport yourself to your friend's house. Unfortunately, you mistype the coordinates and teleport yourself 500 feet under into the rock below. Obviously you die, but what else happens? The atoms now overlap each other with a degree of offset, do they push each other away and slightly deform the rock around the overlap, does it result in a nuclear reaction, or something else entirely?

1. I guess, some of them would appear very close to the surrounding nuclei and cause some fusion and a weak blast.

2. As any rock has some cracksm probably the rock will locally expand and fill some cracks.

3. Probably, under such pressure some chemical reactions get possible, and the new atoms will partially get bound in molecules.

This is why I have little faith in the idea of time travel.  Even if we ever did find out how to do it, how could we determine where we were going to end up? If we reappeared exactly where we started,  the earth would have moved and we would find ourselves in deep space.

The problem you have with rock atoms is the same problem you have with air atoms.

I think conventional wisdom is that is that you're shunted to the closest free space within 1000ft and take up to 3d6 damage. Or the teleport fails and you take 4d6.

Exactly. You run into air just as catastrophically as you run into rock. Compared to a vacuum, air is just as dense as a rock.

It really depends on the type of teleport mechanism you use. If you are forming a superluminal path through space that displaces whatever is in your way, you have one set of problems. If you are folding space and swapping the destination atoms with your body, you have a different set of problems.

Watch again the Terminator's howto, and notice that all wize wizardz do that similar way, first opening a portal or making a sphere, a cloud, or a whirl.

Only vampires, who are undead unlive unwhatever they are just reappear, but they hardly can be damaged.

And some sourcerers in childish cartoons, too, but on the other hand that's how you can distinguish a seriaous, real teleportation from the artist's simplified imagination..

About the teleportation navigation problem.

We can also notice than when somebody teleports into, say, ST USS Enterprise, his spatial velocity differs from the ship speed for, robably, tens of km/s.
So, we could await that the upper part of Spock would spock the wall ahead at that speed, and cause a local boom of several tons of TNT.

That's when you are using local coordinates to set the jump target.
True jumpers do not do this way.

Look, how a fly always sits accurately onto the moving you at almost zero contact speed and with landing legs forwards.

It knows nothing about the coordinates, velocities, even about you.
Actually, it knows nothing, like Jon Snow, and is even more stupid.
It can't calculate and even doesn't remember the mutiplication table.

But while a human pilot feverishly recalls landing rules and runway characteristics, uses a lot of numbers and arrows, and feels like a hero, all what the brainless and single-use fly has are high T/W, eyes, and a sinple negative loopback between the eyes and the muscle controls.
But all fly's landings are perfect, and it performs them many thousands times per day without any pathos.
And unlike the human, the fly perfectly lands on any moving object, on the ceiling, on a wall, etc.
The only obstacle are the transparent things like windows, which do not exist in wild nature.

Also did you see a calm fly hitting a wall after insufficient aerobraking or stopping too early in front of the wall and falling down, like in cartoons?
No, it's almostt always perfectly estimates the moment of touchdown.

So, according to ~20 years old NASA studies, in my own words, briefly it does this this way.

It doesn't measure or calculate something, it just negatively reacts on the visual flow changes.
And like any other primitive life form, including the ones you can meet in a dark street, it reacts with muscles before/instead-of brains.

The fly eye is a grid of pixels, like any developed eye, including the human one, or a webcam.

The fly sees an object of interest and rotates to keep it in focus.
The image of the object occupies the center of the pixel grid.

When the picture changes, it "tickles" new occupied pixels, and stops "tickling" the pixels now free from the target image.
The increasing "pixel tickling" makes to send muscle impulses in that direction less often.
The decreasing "pixel tickling" makes to send muscle impulses in that direction more often.
It even doesn't require a brain.

When the fly suddenly turns from the object, it leaves the center of the pixel grid and moves in some direction. Say, to the right.
The fly, simplifying, gets waving slower with right wing, but faster with the left one. So, it rotates to the right, feeling the "pixel tickling" weakening.

On the object approaching, its image grows and starts "tickling" new and new concentric layers of pixels.
The fly gets waving slower with all wings at ones, its velocity starts decreasing.

The closer is the object, the faster its angular size grows, the faster the new layers of pixels start being "tickled" by its image.
So, the closer is the object, the slower the fly waves with all its wings.

On the object image growing and occupying all field of view, the fly retargets on the object detail, so it can sit exactly on your ear.

Finally, the fly approaches the landing leg distance when its vertical T/W = 1, and the horizontal ~0, expands landing legs and touches the target at zero contact speed.

When the fly sees a window, it just can't see the glass, so it focuses on the objects behind, and unexpectedly hits the invisible surface.
That's wgy it doesn't try to escape through the open window aside, it believes its eyes.

Also that's why it's trying to sit on your same ear again and again. Same algorithm, same initial data lead her to same place.

After several attempts to break through the surface to the tree behind, it activates randomization at starts moving chaotically.
This changes the initial data, so a new attempt to focus and fly may be more successful than the endless loop of attempts.

Afaik, same technology is used in the video docking systems.
(Also you can easily implement it yourself).

So, about the teleports.

Instead of measuring and calculations, and instead of coordinates and velocities, the jumper should realize that he is the soliptic observer, and the world is build around his local view.
So, it's not he moves to the moving starship, but the starship appears around him instead of the ground room. And not that starship moving somewhere, but same universe with him in same starship.
The fly doesn't calculate, it follows the imaging.

This is strange for the modern Copenhagen interpretation, but rather usual for a many-worlds interpretation.
So, when the humanity gets approached the understanding that it lives in a multiverse, rather in the simplified world of modern physics, it will become absolutely natural.

(Of course, it doesn't change the safety countermeasures like a prepared safety margin. Say, a glowing sphere of nothing.)

It's ok with conservation laws, because the previous universe doesn't change, it stays with amother him not jumped.
Just he like an observer presents in another same pre-existing universe with him onboard.

Obviously, that's how magic actually works irl.

Edited by kerbiloid

19 hours ago, benzman said:

This is why I have little faith in the idea of time travel.  Even if we ever did find out how to do it, how could we determine where we were going to end up? If we reappeared exactly where we started,  the earth would have moved and we would find ourselves in deep space.

yea time travel has always glossed over the fact that things in space move. 

22 hours ago, benzman said:

I knew I wasn't the first to think about this - but every time I have tried to broach the subject, my beer drinking buds' eyes glaze over so hard and fast that I wonder if I'm about to be charged with involuntarily manslaughter. 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I knew I wasn't the first to think about this - but every time I have tried to broach the subject, my beer drinking buds' eyes glaze over so hard and fast that I wonder if I'm about to be charged with involuntarily manslaughter. 

you sure it was beer he was drinking?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.