Vessels Dissappearing - Anybody else experiencing this?

Just recently I have had 3 vessels just vanish.   I seem to remember reading that others have noticed this not long ago, but I can't find it now.

I have had 3 vessels just get swallowed by the Kraken.  I sent 15 ships on their way to Jool.  On performing  their mid course 'tweaks'  I noticed one was missing, I figured I  may have just forgotten to launch it with there being quite a few, but I was pretty sure I had as it was one of the crewed vessels.  Then on sorting out the arrival burns one of the uncrewed vessels  was missing, and I know it existed as I had a maneuver alarm set for it.  Then tonight a third had vanished, and I know I put it in Jool orbit yesterday.

A 'my ships keep vanishing' as a bug report isn't much help, as all I do is switch on, play the game then notice that one has gone when I try to find it, presumably they vanish on either closing down or starting up the game, but I don't actually know.

I have changed graphics cards a couple of days ago,  but it happened both before and after the switch, so don't see how that could be related. 

The plot thickens, a couple of days later and all my Debris has just vanished too.  ( not a huge deal in itself, but odd).

Going to try a fresh download and install, and see if that works.

Edited by pandaman

Hi.

Not an expert by a long shot here.

That reminds me of something that happened to me a long time ago.

In atmosphere but perhaps it is relevant.

Can't remember if it happened to the crewed part or the uncrewed one.

I was dropping cargo via parachutes and I would loose stuff.

It had to do with having two independent ships and while you are focussing on one the other one drifts (Fly) out of physic range and the game deletes it as being cumbersome debris that is going to crash anyway.

I think the range is 22.5km....Or something like that.

The solution was to circle and wait for the cargo to be "Landed".

Were your ships in a tight group?

One last thought. Have you checked if the ships are now listed as debris?

The ships were crewed have you checked the astronaut complex to see if the crews are listed as active or missing?

The crews can be available, active, lost (Missing).

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

7 hours ago, pandaman said:

I had a maneuver alarm set for it

You're using KAC? "Jump to Ship" can't find the vessel? Very odd.

If they were in an extremely low orbit, Orbit-Into-Terrain is a possibility (shakes fist at Gilly). And if something has been in Jool orbit for awhile, those moons can start playing pinball with it...

@Martian Emigrant @StrandedonEarth.

Thanks, 

Yes I am using KAC and had that message for the second one.  Noticed when I wanted to do its capture burn.

For the first one, I checked the astronaut centre, but couldn't remember the crew names , so that didn't help as all 3 lists are quite long.  May start noting crew names on my 'Admin' spreadsheet now though.

I don't think atmosphere was an issue, though the first one was just possibly in Kerbin orbit at 200km awaiting departure, so I could possibly have screwed that up, but I think I compeleted it's transfer burn. I noticed it was gone when the fleet was about half way to Jool.  I 'cheated' a replacement to where I estimated it should have been.

The whole (original) fleet was 15 ships that departed Kerbin within a few hours time span so were roughly equal distances from Kerbin, and on similar paths, but spread out laterally quite a bit, all trajectories were quite well separated on map view and arrivals at Jool system quite spread out time wise.

The third one was in Jool orbit, in Vall's orbital path, but not close to Vall.  I was going to set up it's manouvre to get an encounter and it just wasn't there.  Very unlikely Vall interfered with it due to relatove positions, and the short time it was there but a slim possibility I suppose, even then I expect it would have been more likely ejected than destroyed.

Oh well, poo happens I suppose.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:02 PM, pandaman said:

Just recently I have had 3 vessels just vanish.   I seem to remember reading that others have noticed this not long ago, but I can't find it now.

I have had 3 vessels just get swallowed by the Kraken.  I sent 15 ships on their way to Jool.  On performing  their mid course 'tweaks'  I noticed one was missing, I figured I  may have just forgotten to launch it with there being quite a few, but I was pretty sure I had as it was one of the crewed vessels.  Then on sorting out the arrival burns one of the uncrewed vessels  was missing, and I know it existed as I had a maneuver alarm set for it.  Then tonight a third had vanished, and I know I put it in Jool orbit yesterday.

A 'my ships keep vanishing' as a bug report isn't much help, as all I do is switch on, play the game then notice that one has gone when I try to find it, presumably they vanish on either closing down or starting up the game, but I don't actually know.

I have changed graphics cards a couple of days ago,  but it happened both before and after the switch, so don't see how that could be related. 

The plot thickens, a couple of days later and all my Debris has just vanished too.  ( not a huge deal in itself, but odd).

Going to try a fresh download and install, and see if that works.

List of reasons I can think of where craft get removed:

• Low orbit (reentry / collision)
  • Orbiting too close to a moon - this is a bit trickier, as KSP doesn't always display far-future scenarios where your slow orbiting craft and a slow-orbiting moon may potentially result in a change in SOI. I can recall it happening twice in the years I've been playing so I've no idea if it's still an issue. 
  • Craft become debris, or have been launched without adequate command. 
    • Bit trickier to pin down, but when staging craft it's possible to have crewed craft without adequate command which the game can potentially treat as (cleanable!) debris
  • Mods doing their thing
  • Bugs / Bees

If you know it's happening, use numbered save files (e.g. 1-30) instead of overwriting your main save every time you make a bit of progress. If you notice it happens you can rollback if required. The next time it happens, please upload your logfile and post it here* along with the name of the vessel that's vanished and it should be possible to figure out what happened. 

*see here for how

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.