Microsoft, Apple or Linux?

Uhtred

Microsoft Or Apple?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer? Microsoft or Apple?

• Definitely Microsoft. Go Windows!
    • Who Cares about Windows? I'm Fully Apple!
    • I like Linux, so there!
    • Eh, they're all fine, why argue?

• 2 weeks later...

Can't answer the question.

Windows - redundant bloatware, resource and RAM hog, MS tracks you and your usage (anonymously sorta but still), updates break previous updates but generally compatible. Have to use it, easiest to get, most widely used (over 75%), work uses it to, literally tonnes of software choices, (mostly) backwards compatible, easiest to first learn..... 

Apple - less bloated, more stable, have to pay for anything useful, extremely overpriced, OS and hardware married till death, schools use it, Apple tracks you and your usage (sorta anonymous maybe), (not really) backwards compatible, roughly 10% of the computer market, secure, steeper learning curve.....

Linux - streamlined, fastest and older CPUs, stable, lots of free useful software but less A games, cheapest, extremely compatible, used in everything such as phones, this website, probes and appliances, secure, details vary greatly depending on chosen OS and desktop flavor, updates and repositories can be confusing, compatibility can vary greatly, roughly 2% of the computer market,  still very steep learning curve for casual users.

And don't forget Google Chrome is coming on strong too.

TL;DR  I use windows, love linux, ew apple and chrome.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

oxymoron

It requires an official account almost for everything.

While Windows just dreams about this.

Very true...

Reminds me, I should have put this link in post to sum up the 3...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed Ubuntu Linux onto my computer, and so far I like it. It has much more of a GUI than I thought it would. I might switch primarily to Linux and not use Windows much/at all. I haven't been able to win a game of Solitare on the program that comes with Ubuntu yet though. :D

So far, I am having trouble with KSP on Linux, but I will keep trying. It keeps freezing after it finishes loading but before it goes to the start screen where it says "start game". I will save the details for the technical support section of the forum.

24 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I just installed Ubuntu Linux onto my computer, and so far I like it. It has much more of a GUI than I thought it would. I might switch primarily to Linux and not use Windows much/at all. I haven't been able to win a game of Solitare on the program that comes with Ubuntu yet though. :D

So far, I am having trouble with KSP on Linux, but I will keep trying. It keeps freezing after it finishes loading but before it goes to the start screen where it says "start game". I will save the details for the technical support section of the forum.

Hmmm... Linux does have windows emulators available called Wine. Not sure it will allow KSP to work, but you can give it a shot.

Not all things work in wine, but some do. 

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I know it's bad. I grew up with the interface. I like the interface. It's stable.

An illustrative evidence of hypothesis that the popularity of Apple products is based on dopamine reinforcement learning, rather than on actual advantages.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

An illustrative evidence of hypothesis that the popularity of Apple products is based on dopamine reinforcement learning, rather than on actual advantages.

Well stability and reliability are real. You pay more up front but when they last 6-7 years its worth it to me. 

the only reason i don't like apple is because you are locked into proprietary hardware.  i have a similar hang-up with proprietary pcs. ive always built my own. the linux-windows debate has started getting interesting lately. windows 11 is really not something i want on my system. ms keeps pushing their hooks in deeper and i dont like that. forcing clouds into places they dont belong, tieing everything you do to a 3rd party server you dont control. windows does to software what apple does to hardware (and software). linux is starting to become the only option. the os is always improving and gaming is getting good. linux keeps things open. im already somewhat ok on linux, ive learned a lot messing with pis (to the point where im writing my own hardware drivers) and am comfortable with its way of doing things. there is also a fourth option on the horizon, and thats reactos, pretty much an open source windows clone that will work with windows software and drivers.  its not even beta yet, and the project crawls along at a snails pace. linux is probibly my next os, though im on win10 now. 

6 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well stability and reliability are real. You pay more up front but when they last 6-7 years its worth it to me. 

i have older pcs that are still stable and useful, oldest is about 10 or so years old, if not older. another one i gave to my mom and it does what she needs it to do. i got two on my electronics bench one handles 3d printing. the other has its psu and usb abused on a regular basis that i use for embedded dev, stuff id rather not run on my daily driver. ive plugged the thing into a rat's nest of breadboards and wires, exposed dev boards, and caused a few crashes by exceeding the port specs or shorting things that shouldn't be shorted. however when i disconnect whatever contraption i was  working on and rebooted, it runs crash free and all the ports still work.  i wonder how an apple would handle that use case.  

anyone on a pc that has stability issues probibly did something wrong. im sure apple has those users who find themselves at the genius bar every week shelling out for repair work (and they frown on diy repair). i feel like my accumulated computer skills would be wasted on an apple. it is still a valid option for a certain use case, its just not my use case. 

it could be worse though, you could be one of those people who do all their computing with a phone. 

Edited by Nuke

Just now, kerbiloid said:

I'm on Win 7 because only here I feel really free, without asking Apple if I may stand up or sit down, and without gathering roots and worms at the crossroads of Linux docs.

id still run 7 but i cant get drivers for my newer hardware. my 2 most recent builds pretty much forced me into win10 for want of 7-8 drivers. 

47 minutes ago, Nuke said:

it is still a valid option for a certain use case, its just not my use case. 

100%. Its totally situation dependent. Whenever I buy one it feels like a crazy indulgence, but our whole office is on them (architecture/design) and we seem to have very few issues that require any attention. We're too small to have dedicated IT so the fewer disruptions the better. But for a lot of other situations including being your average person who likes games PCs make all the sense in the world.

• 1 year later...

latest debian lets you pick your de in the installer. why has this not been a thing until now?  such a great feature. a lot of people pick distro on the de alone and its better to have a distro that lets you chose rather than a fork for every de. was always a kde guy so i went with plasma. very windows like (though i wish it was a little snappier).

anyway its possibly one of the most usable distros ive seen. ive managed to work through most of the problems ive had setting it up for its intended usage. still a couple things to work on but i think i like it. 

Edited by Nuke

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 6:37 AM, Pthigrivi said:

And when Apple stops pushing updates you can put Linux on it and run it another 20. ^_^

im really not that happy with the state of modern oses. i dont like win11. i dont want to buy into the apple ecosystem ("product ecosystem" is just another term for lock-in). linux is getting better all the time, but still far from something i can use for everything  i want to do with a computer. but even then all are bloated messes that are far more complicated than they need to be for the typical user. bring back dos. i miss running an airgapped system with anonymously obtained software. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.