[12.1.4] Kerbin Side Remastered - The Life Aquatic [v2.0.0][2022-12-18]

Caerfinon

Current Status:

• creating coast guard ship at sea in distress missions based on  TranceaddicT's original mission: "CoastGuard-RescueFishermen" from a fork of GAP.
  • Will be based within 25 to 100 kms of the Kerbin Side Remastered statics that have KK Pier instances and the locations for Water Launched Sites and KSC Harbor mods.
  • Minor spelling corrections for the salvage missions. (Spelling. Always spelling.)

Testing Coast Guard Missions

Jeb and Mid. Janbart Kerman are  under full steam to rescue a ship at sea in distress.

0aBIm0F.png

They arrive at the rescue coordinates and discover a fishing boat and crew. It's rescuing time! (and then the Officers' club back in port). 

CFwdcid.png

Coast Guard cutter courtesy of: KerbalX: "boat-ARS-Janus" by ZobrAz
Adrift Fishing boat designed by:  TranceaddicT

That ARS vehicle on the last pic looks like it needs rescue itself, LOL 
But it reminds me of rescue missions from original @inigma's GAP - there was so much fun, especially to guess, will there be RUD on wreckage when entering phys. range or not :)

5 hours ago, Warro said:

That ARS vehicle on the last pic looks like it needs rescue itself

The sea is a rough place. Especially with Scatterer ocean effects enabled.

Lot's of stuff from TranceaddicT's fork of Inigma's Gap here

Current Status:

• Making Coast Guard Bases
    • Some of Kerbin's oceans and seas have very limited port facilities so I've mapped out about 10 new sites
    • Each will have a small base, a pier, and a handy gas pump on the pier for refueling run by the Clam Fuel Company.
    • These will be necessary for long haul patrol missions for ships that need to take on supplies.

Current Status:

• Completed 10 Coast Guard base KK Statics
  • Adding them as sites for ship rescue missions.
  • Constructing patrol missions

The new bases have gas pumps on the piers... unfortunately Jeb left his credit card in his IVA suit

KgeCvag.png

Edited by Caerfinon

14 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Current Status:

• Completed 10 Coast Guard base KK Statics
  • Adding them as sites for ship rescue missions.
  • Constructing patrol missions

The new bases have gas pumps on the piers... unfortunately Jeb left his credit card in his IVA suit

KgeCvag.png

Ahh, explosive stuff right in the middle of T-junction... What can possible go wrong? :)

Just like to thank @OrdinaryKerman again for the wonderful texture for the BlackBox/Micronode. Which I have just downloaded again to replace the one I lost. It also makes for a great map of where the textures go on each side.

Remember how you had sunglasses on your diver? I wonder if I could get a long beard cargo part?

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

I wonder if I could get a long beard cargo part?

You would need to make the beard part in blender then use the Kerbal Hacks: Wearable KIS Props configurations/modules to load in on the kerbal's face with the correct offset.  Could be done.

Note:: do to some change the parts all need a patch file to work correctly. I've added it below if you're inclined to want to try it.

Spoiler

// by MacLuky January 26, 2020 see: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/153654-1xx-kerbal-hacks-wearable-kis-props/&do=findComment&comment=3732498 

@PART[ARHoloVisorSingleF|ARHoloVisorSingle|AcademyHat|AviatorSunglassesDark|KHFedoraHat|KHCowboyHat|KHHardHat|HoloGoggles|MicHeadset]:AFTER[KerbalHacks]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
	{
		@equipBoneName = aliasHead
	}
}

@PART[CupolaGlassHelmet|HelmetLightsWarm|HelmetLightsElectric]:AFTER[KerbalHacks]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
	{
		@equipBoneName = aliasHelmet
	}
}

@PART[KHJetpackLight]:AFTER[KerbalHacks]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker]
	{
		@equipBoneName = aliasJetpack
	}
}

@PART[KHOmniToolOrange|KHOmniToolBlue]:AFTER[KerbalHacks]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker]
	{
		@equipBoneName = aliasRightElbow
	}
}

@PART[KHWalkieTalkie]:AFTER[KerbalHacks]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
	{
		@equipBoneName = aliasRightPalm
	}
}

4 hours ago, Warro said:

right in the middle of T-junction.

It's actually a large pier.

2 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

You would need to make the beard part in blender

I currently find the model creation part very scary. Give me a decade and I might be able to understand it. :)

3 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

It's actually a large pier.

I don't like to cosplay Captain Obvious, but so be it: the fact that this is pier, didn't  stop you from riding wheeled vehicle on it, so it probably wouldn't stop any future racers, but that gas station in the middle - will, with explosions, maybe.... So I suggest to move it to the side, for safety reasons :)

P.S. I understand that we are talking about game (of boosters and explosions, yes), not the real life, but that station right in the middle of straight route doesn't look right for me.
Look, that pier doesn't even look like racing track or runway, but the station is to the side:
99_big.jpg

Edited by Warro

@Warro You input is noted, but the gas pump is at the edge of the pier already.

Racers are not expected, but if they they do show up, they should, as always, exercise caution on terrain not actually designed for racing. There are a whole series of racing track parts available in a fine mod by Fastcorp, but I did not incorporate any of those in a Coast Guard Base.  

4 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Racers are not expected, but if they they do show up, they should, as always, exercise caution on terrain not actually designed for racing. There are a whole series of racing track parts available in a fine mod by Fastcorp, but I did not incorporate any of those in a Coast Guard Base.  

Besides (when I still had my jets) everbody knows that thin pier access ramps are for making tricky landings of planes when the small island has no runway.

Spent the day dealing with "recovery" issues for TLA missions. The relevant facts are these;

1. Kerbal Konstructs recovery bases are not working in my dev or active game instances
  2. The cost of a nautical vessel capable of deploying to carry out surface and undersea rescues can be quite large.
  3. Rewards for missions can therefore not cover the cost in lost parts due to low recovery factors cutting the returned funds by up to 50%

Coding a method to scale rewards based on size of vessels is cumbersome. So I've decided to handle it by minimizing the recovery options by only requiring the "recovery" of the rescued kerbals and observer kerbals.  For contract success all eligible recovery kerbals need to be recovered at the same time and not piecemeal

Players  can choose to recover their entire craft at the end of a mission, or a much smaller "lifeboat" containing only the required kerbals. They could conceivable sail the larger craft back to the KSC to recover it for a much greater value if they want to. Optionally they need not recover the larger recovery vessel at all. They could leave it on station and reuse it in subsequent missions at various bases around the globe. They might even have a fleet of such vessels. I've found that the Bon Voyage mod with the naval rover option works quite well at deploying ships and subs to specific locations as required.

I think leaving the decision about how to handle the "economics" of this to the players is the best one for allowing creative solutions to come to the fore.

Edited by Caerfinon
spelling... always spelling.

39 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

So, what is that?

A mystery to be solved...  The mod Water Launch Sites (Kerbal-Konstructs) added two anomalies on the ocean floor. This is one is called "Caged Twins".  It's one of the sites I'm writing an multi "episode" exploration mission about. Kind of a mini "Klive Kussler" story featuring the KUMA organization ;p  

Current Status

• Version v1.0.0 now available on SpaceDock. CKAN to follow.
  • Coast Guard
    • Patrol mission
    • Rescue ship at sea mission
  • Deep Sea Salvage
    • Salvage and rescue small, medium, and large aircraft from the deep
  • Kerbin Underwater Marine Agency (KUMA)
    • Dive test certification mission
    • Survey ship deployment mission 

** IMPORTANT!! - CKAN INSTALL IS CURRENTLY INCORRECT **

Sigh... The install via CKAN is incorrect.  It is putting to mod in the wrong path.

The temp fix until CKAN is corrected is to to move /GameData/KerbinSideRemasteredTLA to /GameData/ContractPacks/KerbinSideRemasteredTLA and restart your game.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.