1,000th Suggestion! A Legacy UI

45 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

It would be nice if we could change the visuals of our HUD/UI/Whatever suits you to match the colors of the original KSP with the sleek style of the newer UI's we've seen so far.

Mods, mods and mods.  In regards to console, I wouldn't put it past the new dev team to try some in-game implementation of CKAN so console players don't miss out as raging debates over these limitations with console have been a major cornerstone of these forums for a while now.

Hmmm, this feels a bit like 'It's different to what's familar to me, therefore I won't like it'.

However well designed any new 'thing' is it always meets some opposition initially.

Same as when the UK went to a decimal currency in 1971.  The old (L,s,d) system was more than a bit 'funky' to work with unless you grew up with it.  Just like the 'Imperial' weights and measures system, compared to metric.

Hopefully there will be some configuation options to suit individual requirements and preferences, but I think retaining the 'original look' for no practical reason would be a mistake.

19 minutes ago, pandaman said:

I'm very much a 'function over form' guy though.  

I agree. The UI expects you to dart our eyes round while also remaining completely aware of the space around the rocket, which can make docking a pain when you accidentally forget to place a second set of RCS thrusters on the payload and have to dock the station itself to the payload. As Tantacrul, overlord of Audacity, once said: "I always have to double-check it's the right button because the trumpet keeps throwing me and the incomplete title 'add or remove' requires a pause to understand. Add or remove what!? Oh, I guess it says instruments down there to the right, but that's not really how eyes work."

That last bit is the epitome of the KSP UI. Charming, but scattered, impractical and plain difficult, and I won't be missing it when KSP 2 comes round. I really won't miss three quarters of my readouts being in my peripheral vision in any one instant.