Radian Aerospace

StrandedonEarth

8 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Kerolox SSTO.  No it isn't a scam, they have tweets and everything!

The only thing going for it is the rocket-sled-assisted takeoff. Then maybe if they take off from Denver, that’s another minor boost. Then they just have to hitch it to Santa’s reindeer…

Nan- Nani!?

It's not supposed to be possible!

I've recently fallen hopelessly in love with the X-33, so I'm really excited to see where this company goes!

Fingers crossed that this goes somewhere...

Edited by AtomicTech

On 1/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

The only thing going for it is the rocket-sled-assisted takeoff. Then maybe if they take off from Denver, that’s another minor boost. Then they just have to hitch it to Santa’s reindeer…

It is an interesting concept and allows for some other possibilities.  Adding SCRAMJETS might put it in the realm of physically possible, and a rocket sled takeoff might make it feasible to light such things.  The Pratt &  Witney SJX61 engine might not exactly be "off the shelf", but it does have a designation, official testing, and they might be willing to sell more.  Slightly more likely than hitching to reindeer, but not much.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it never occurred to us before! Just FLY to space! Boy I bet NASA's faces are red! Just imagine! All we'd need is a rocket powered sled that can sustain around 30 G's for a few hundred km, and we're right there! Duh! How could have overlooked this for so long!?

Whats that you say? "It liquify the passengers?" I'm sure the worked that out.

"Rocket equation?" Ah, but it's a rocket SLED!  

"No atmosphere to generate lift past a certain point?" Psssh! They just have launch of the EDGE of the earth! Plenty of space to get up to speed!

Why, I bet men this smart will someday walk on the sun!

Edited by ZenAtWork
Typo corrections

• 2 years later...

Specifications

CREW 2-5
UPMASS up to 2,270 kg
DOWNMASS up to 4,540 kg

PAYLOAD BAY DIMENSIONS
LENGTH 5.2 m
WIDTH 3.8 m (fwd) 5.6 m (aft)
HEIGHT 2.7 m (fwd) 4.0 m (aft)
VOLUME ~93 m3
*SPECIFICATIONS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Yeah, $5 they'll change.

Anyway, 90 on demand capability, but "Deliver anything under 2270 kg  anywhere on Earth in under an hour".
Edited by Shpaget

Haven't heard of these people. It does seem similar to proposals I've read in the old sci.space.* USENET archives. And Gary Hudson made me prick my ears up. Ridiculous as it might seem, the Roton could have worked, its payload just couldn't grow beyond what the customer wanted, and, already on a shoestring, they ran out of money. The story of the rise and fall is told in USENET posts by the man himself: https://yarchive.net/space/launchers/roton.html

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Rotary Rocket: what happened?
Date: 30 Jun 2000 15:21:13 GMT

*snip*

The essence of building a commercial space transportation company is finance,
not engineering.  The basic mission remained largely unchanged, even if there
were technical alterations.  Fail to acommodate to your customer's/investor's
wishes and you absolutely won't succeed, either in finding funding (which we
did pretty well, but even so not well enough) or finding launches.  You'll end
up with a technically pure venture which will go nowhere.  Or like NASA, doing
mostly technology sandbox stuff.

I'm assuming he was contracted to design the engine, not to advise on the business. Back to the spaceplane.

Thing is, the key metric of any SSTO is propellant mass fraction, or 'how much is fuel, versus how much is structure?' You want structure to be a low fraction and fuel to be particularly high. If you have a spaceplane and use 'wet wings' for the kerosene, the thinking goes, then the 'dead' weight of the wings becomes part of the fuel tanks and the mass penalty of having them is offset enough to have a workable mass-fraction. You also want a combination of dense propellants and relatively high ISP. Kerelox is perfectly servicable in this regard.

Small launchers are particularly sensitive to mass; I recall Peter Beck saying Electron's mission to launch CAPSTONE was so near the limits of what it could do that the mass of which NASA logo sticker to use was significant. The larger you get the more mass your structure gains, but tank mass grows at a lower rate than tank volume... which increases your propellant mass fraction. This is the hope and dream behind every oversized reusable SSTO dreamed up since before the space program began.

Do I think they have an engineering case? There's a flicker of hope there, but they need to be eagle-eyed to any mass increase. a business case? Much less confident yet.

Found the missive; it's on how in NASA's 1993 Access to Space initiative, one working group concentrated on a hydrolox SSTO with wet wings.

All hardware and structure and avionics and all that being equivalent, a kerelox vertical-takeoff, horizontal landing SSTO would have been a whopping 35% lighter, even with bulky, heavy NK-33 and RD-58 Russian engines: https://yarchive.net/space/rocket/fuels/hydrogen_deltav.html

(Mitchell Burnside Clapp was one of the founders of Pioneer Rocketplane with Robert Zubrin... which also ran out of funding. 70s through to early 2000s, "US private space pioneer" was a byword for 'losing your shirt'. :-/ )

The why is interesting. For one, the structures (tank and pressurisation systems) are much simpler, more mature and need less pressure overall. For another, because you have dense propellants and lower ISP: you burn them faster and have more thrust; you grow lighter near the end of your ascent; you end up accelerating faster; and you need slightly less delta-V to reach their reference 51-degree ISS orbit. It's not much - 8,870 m/s versus 9,135 m/s - but if making a SSTO rocketplane, you take what you can get.

Their improved kerelox plane was essentially the same proportions as the Boeing RASV: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/usaf-nasa-rlv-programs-from-the-past-amsci-science-dawn-have-region-etc.315/

We know a bit more about winglets these days, so lacking a central rudder might not be a deal-breaker.

Can sled launch make HT work? I don't know. Consensus is that it grants about 100-500 m/s to the initial takeoff, but the shallower ascent wipes out that advantage.