Solar flares

tbh i just randomly got the idea for solar flares, and maybe even a radiation system where if a solar flare hits your ship or a colony thats on a planet/moon it could knock out some equipment.

Or maybe if your around an unstable star?

1 hour ago, jastrone said:

thats random and that is not good game design

The one predictable factor about space exploration is there's no way we can predict everything that can happen!

Sure, it's something that could be incorporated into the game, but only if the game had a "hard as hell" mode - and I can assure you I'd never play it!

56 minutes ago, LukewarmSpaghetti said:

I kind of like this idea. Say for example you are playing on hard mode; there is a risk of certain disasters happening while you play that require thinking and Kerbal solving to accomplish 

In a way, I do, too. I'd not want deadly solar flares, but mild ones that knock out communications for a few hours might make it more fun. It would also cause me to rethink communications satellite deployments more seriously than I do now. And also rethink some of my designs, too.

But - as I mentioned before, malfunctions in space are a part of the predictability of the unpredictable. It's the very essence of chaos theory in action - to expect the unexpected. And that's why one of my good forum buddies @Angel-125 came up with this great (and at times, infuriating mod) that not only adds enjoyment and a bit of realism to the game, but has caused me to rage-quit a few times:

There are other mods out there that add other issues and challenges to your program, but I am not as familiar with them as I am with this one. Anyway, welcome to the forum, @jaf and @jastrone! When you get a chance, I hope you'll take the time to share some images of your craft in action. It's always great seeing what new folks to the game come up with. :) 

10 hours ago, jaf said:

tbh i just randomly got the idea for solar flares, and maybe even a radiation system where if a solar flare hits your ship or a colony thats on a planet/moon it could knock out some equipment.

Maybe that could be some hard mode feature that red dwarf stars get angry every so often and flare

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

The one predictable factor about space exploration is there's no way we can predict everything that can happen!

relism does not equal fun.  and therefore you shouldnt make games too realistic.

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

"hard as hell" mode

its not hard or a challenge its just that you fail for something that wasent your fault

19 hours ago, jaf said:

We do know radiation will play a factor with the engines, so it could have other factors.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:54 AM, jastrone said:

relism does not equal fun.  and therefore you shouldnt make games too realistic.

its not hard or a challenge its just that you fail for something that wasent your fault

Not really.  Service bays and command parts could have optional shielding.  Or the flare damage could be 10x more temporary if you have an engineer aboard.  One can be, and a good player will be, somewhat prepared for the unpredictable.  What is scary, and not fun, are those in real life who think nothing should be unpredictable and go into politics

Edited by darthgently