Space station construction

How long would it take to build a space station module on the ground either a derived ISS module or something like the L.I.F.E Module from Serra Nevada corp?  I’m starting to think we need to ditch the ISS or at least put it in a graveyard orbit for tourism revenue.

Edited by Cloakedwand72

12 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

How long would it take to build a space station module on the ground either a derived ISS module or something like the L.I.F.E Module from Serra Nevada corp?  I’m starting to think we need to ditch the ISS or at least put it in a graveyard orbit for tourism revenue.

By "on the ground" do you mean manufacturing of the module? Or building a space station analog on the ground?

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In 1960s - a year.

In 2020s - two decades

I wanna say more like three-ish for the 60s.

DOS-1 and DOS-2 were cheating a little because they used the shell of Almaz and the guts of 7K-OK. Skylab was built between 1971 and 1972, but it suffered damage during launch, so for a proper station it should be more like three years.

But Almaz took seven years (1966 to 1973). Even without Salyut interrupting it, it couldn't have flown in 1970, so that is at least four years.

Projects already being built:

Axiom

Axiom's milestones are to have all their modules launched by 2027, and Thales is already building them. This schedule seems entirely realistic, and Thales already knows what they are doing, humans are living in Thales modules as we speak.

Once complete, Axiom is designed to disconnect.

Axiom-Station-Timeline.jpg

SpaceX

Lunar Starship is a ~ISS volume habitat, and they were aiming for testing it in the next couple years. LSS in LEO is a done in 1 ISS replacement.

Edited by tater

CNSA: hold my beer

The manned space ship can be used to sapce station

• 1999-2003: my ship can work and back with on piece (Shenzhou-1 ~ 4)
  • 2003: it can take one in orbit (Shenzhou-5)
  • 2005: more than one (Shenzhou-6)
  • 2008: can do the EVA and can take more than two astronauts (Shenzhou-7)
  • 2011-2016: It can dock (Shenzhou-8 ~11)
  • 2021-now: let's do it 

The core module:

• 2011-2016: can be docked and people can do something in there for two week (Tiangong-1)
  • 2016-2019: people can live in there for one month and can refuel (Tiangong-2)
  • 2021-now: let's do it (Tianhe core module)

Supply ship: 

• 2017: it works! (Tianzhou-1)

So from nothing, in the 'climbing the technology tree' way, and with sufficent funding, two decades.

Edited by steve9728

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

CNSA: hold my beer

The manned space ship can be used to sapce station

• 1999-2003: my ship can work and back with on piece (Shenzhou-1 ~ 4)
  • 2003: it can take one in orbit (Shenzhou-5)
  • 2005: more than one (Shenzhou-6)
  • 2008: can do the EVA and can take more than two astronauts (Shenzhou-7)
  • 2011-2016: It can dock (Shenzhou-8 ~11)

The core module:

• 2011-2016: can be docked and people can do something in there for two week (Tiangong-1)
  • 2016-2019: people can live in there for one month and can refuel (Tiangong-2)
  • 2021-now: let's do it (Tianhe core module)

Supply ship: 

• 2017: it works! (Tianzhou-1)

So from nothing, in the 'climbing the technology tree' way, and with sufficent funding, two decades.

Nice summary. I know I’ve seen the names somewhere else, but not listed together in the same place: what would the English translation of those names be, if there is one?

Edited by StrandedonEarth

40 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Nice summary. I know I’ve seen the names

somewhere else, but not listed together in the same place: what would the English translation of those names be, if there is one?

Shenzhou, 神舟,  神奇的天河之舟, The Magical Sky River Boat (It is also homophonic with a general term used by the Chinese since ancient times for the geographical division of the whole of China, Shenzhou 神州)

Tianzhou, 天舟, composed of one character each form the Tiangong core module and the Shenzhou manned spacecraft. In my opinion there is no particular meaning. Translate directly is Space Ship (or boat)

Tianhe, 天和, Heavely Harmony. "According to Qi Faren, the chief designer of the Shenzhou spacecraft and one of the members of the jury, the jury further selected ten names from the 30 candidates: "Tianshu, Qitian, Soaring, Mission, Huaxia, Unity, Shouwang, Taihe, Huaxin and Pathfinder". Qi himself preferred "Tianshu" and "Taihe", but later on, someone from the frontline engineering staff proposed to combine the two into one and call it "Tianhe", which is both "It is a metaphor for the harmony between the Chinese space station and the universe, and it also better reflects the meaning of the core module gathering and uniting all other modules."

And also will have Wentian (问天, Asking Sky) and Mengtian (梦天, Dreaming Sky) module would be launch in this year. The two modules are also referred to as "Experiment Module I" and "Experiment Module II". It's all right anyway, all points to the same things.

Oh I forget the Tiangong. The Heavenly Palace (天宫). Funny thing: Given that there is only one Heavely Palce in Chinese myths and legends. So the Heavely Palace of the Havoc in Heaven, and this "Mordern Heavenly Palace", to some extent are same palace:ph34r:

PLEACE DON'T TAKE MONKEY INSIDE

Edited by steve9728

Is 'heavenly' in the Chinese mythical sense a place like Valhalla or synonymous with 'the heavens' (aka "place where the stars are that's not Earth ") 

How should a Westerner read 'heavenly' to get the gist of the actual meaning despite the literal word translation? 

20 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Is 'heavenly' in the Chinese mythical sense a place like Valhalla or synonymous with 'the heavens' (aka "place where the stars are that's not Earth ") 

How should a Westerner read 'heavenly' to get the gist of the actual meaning despite the literal word translation? 

Well, Tian simply means sky and the palace in the sky I think eqaul to the heaven in English.

The word of "weather" in Chinese is "Tianqi (天气)", directly translate those two term is sky's air. So just understand it really simply something above the earth which is blue=sky=Tian=天

Something above the earth which is GRAY=welcome to the UK

Edited by steve9728

There is no Valhalla in Chinese ancient story: you dead? Do you do something bad? Yes? Go to hell. You're good guy? Congratulation, you can be a man/women again. You do both of them? Become animals.

As for the Heavenly Palace in Monkey King's myth, you can understand it as where the God's living at. Of course, the saying "and you're too good to stop being reincarnated, go to heaven", but that's Buddhist doctrine.

Edited by steve9728

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.