Damn it! How wonderful it is!)

Breuss

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Me neither, all the links are broken.

36 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I am not able to view these. :(

Hmm... I can't see my screenshots either. During the day they were all visible. What the hell?

5 hours ago, Breuss said:

I know that KSP 1 with mods looks just as good or even better.

Debatable. KSP2 looks awesome to me, the terrain looks like it has dealt with actual erosion and like it should from altitude.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by regex

11 hours ago, regex said:

Debatable. KSP2 looks awesome to me, the terrain looks like it has dealt with actual erosion and like it should from altitude.

It looks like an OpenGL landscape tutorial from 20 years ago to me, and the tree stubble from before that.  Like, even Operation Flashpoint supported LoD forests, where instead of tree stubble that vanishes at some clip distance, it would convert forests into individual trees at various distances, so distant dense trees would look much more natural.  That was 22 years ago.  Example of foliage (it changes in motion):

FeMZ4kk.jpg

Versus KSP 2 foliage:

fGAlor5.jpg

Even the texturing looks better despite that being on absolute potatoes in the early days of GPU terrain with almost no texture memory, limited sampling, and before programmable shaders.  KSP 2 has this horrible crinkle detail texture for mountains which follows obvious polygon seams.  Just doesn't look good at all compared to the ancient past, and games have come a long way since that ancient past.

6 hours ago, Rosten said:

Just doesn't look good at all compared to the ancient past, and games have come a long way since that ancient past.

It's true, I probably focus too much on the terrain rather than the actual graphics. The detail pop-in is terrible and could be much better, even from altitude. I don't think the texturing is bad at all, it's pretty detailed up close but I do agree they need to extend that further. I do think they've done some really neat things in the game but that's subjective.

32 minutes ago, regex said:

I don't think the texturing is bad at all, it's pretty detailed up close but I do agree they need to extend that further

Uhm, ehm... I'm not sure on this topic. How much detail is enough? Trees? I Don't care. So far, only Kerbin has them, and the major goal of this game is to get as far away as possible from it. Vegetation so far is completely fine for me. I'm more interested in collidable (?) scatter, to make landing and rovers more of a challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.