Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

So this does probably not count to super awesome, but I like this picture a lot as it, unintentionally, reminds me of those clips, where the lunar surface closes in under the apollo Lander

and this is one of my best two stage lander designs until now, made the landing on Mün pretty easy, but non the less, it felt super awesome, to land something that i build that worked out so well, even better then estimated^^

Anyway, here it is:

NKiWbZx.jpg

well there is something awesome... Jeb ofcourse XD

T8zmZ1b.jpg

Edited by CptNuts

82B52E256F6DC141ABF5B2CA581B7123E1C3348B

Doing some orbital ballet. The tug is to dock with the newly-launched refinery and push it to the moon. The refiniery barely had enough DV to meet with the Mobius spaceport, where the tug is stationed at. There just happened to be a breathtaking sunrise in the middle of it all. At about 15 Frames per second.

E9E0126CD6131066998B089369777E40E5C20FA7

The tug drops off the orbital refinery at Kerbinset.

BDF7CD53385CA2659022A3576A7FAB930C1D61F8

The tug makes its way home :)

Well, we still don't have our mission reports sub-forum back, so I guess I'll put this here.

The project I've been working on for a while is fully reuseable interplanetary ships. I've already got a reliable one that has made trips to Duna, Eve, and Dres,

jkRf7kG.jpg

but now I'm working on a longer-ranged improvement of that design. I assembled it on orbit,

BT2un10.png

loaded it up with a cargo of 2 rover deployers and a small station, and launched it to the Jool system.

Y6RyfOq.png

I was planning to aerobrake, but happened upon a Laythobrake situation instead,

iVHbqcl.png

and arrived at my destination of Vall.

gVoPJWX.png

There I deployed the small science station,

o5S9nGW.png

and landed the rovers.

RMC27u6.png

Then came the real test; did it have enough remaining fuel to return to Kerbin? Getting back was a nasty chore. Plotting a return trajectory from Vall orbit took multiple attempts over the course of about 90 minutes, but I did finally find a window, at least with the help of a fairly substantial mid-course correction. And so the ship was able to return home, with a bit of fuel left in the tanks.

X5XONOF.png

Though the incinobraking manuever was pretty intense. :)

CzCZeQ5.png

Now for the bad news. Although the ship has proven itself capable of making the trip, I can't imagine myself flying it there again. 1) When loaded with cargo, the part count is so high that my poor little PC can only run the simulation at about 1/4th real time, and the interplanetary burn took well over an hour. Turning the ship for manuevers could take another 10 minutes each time. 2) Although the ship had been stable during assembly in Kerbin orbit and under thrust, once in Vall orbit it would pick up random but gradually accelerating rotations. With only the torque of the single probe core, SAS mode was unable to stop this. Of course I knew that the probe core would not exert much control force when I built the ship, but the thing is, it shouldn't have been rotating in the first place, with no real forces acting on it.

So the ship did make the round trip while delivering a substantial payload, but the feat was somewhat bittersweet. :(

Well I have a few new ones...

My new Arrow SSTO taking off from KSC.

2013_05_17_00007.jpg

The Dart SSTO departing my old OFD Kilo One.

2013_05_17_00010.jpg

The newly deployed OFD Kilo Seven, a single launch mobile depot with enough fuel to supply half my fleet, and maneuverable enough to deploy to other planets.

2013_05_18_00001.jpg

Hermes SSTO lifter on re-entry after delivering its payload to LKO.

2013_05_16_00025.jpg

Hermes on approach to KSC for a night landing.

2013_05_16_00029.jpg

Edited by Colonel_Panic