Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

Hey Firespitter users, I want to introduce the PC100 Turboprop, a versatile lightweight air breathing engine for your aircrafting needs.

Snjo and I started development several months back on a vanilla-inspired aircraft parts expansion affectionately named Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (KAX). Shortly thereafter I took a break for real life reasons, but I finally spent some time to polish up the turboprop. Big thanks to Snjo for his help and fantastic plugin. KAX development is slowly ramping up again and a development thread will be posted soon-ish once there's a bit more to show.

In the mean time, enjoy!

Video:

Forum thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76668-0-23-5-Kerbal-Aircraft-Expansion-%28KAX%29-v1-4

*edit, replaced download link with forum thread link.

XVAR4nO.png

Edited by keptin

Hey Firespitter users, I want to introduce the PC100 Turboprop, a versatile lightweight air breathing engine for your aircrafting needs.

Snjo and I started development several months back on a vanilla-inspired aircraft parts expansion affectionately named Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (KAX). Shortly thereafter I took a break for real life reasons, but I finally spent some time to polish up the turboprop. Big thanks to Snjo for his help and fantastic plugin. KAX development is slowly ramping up again and a development thread will be posted soon-ish once there's a bit more to show.

In the mean time, enjoy!

Video:

Part: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66999462/KAX_v1.rar

http://i.imgur.com/XVAR4nO.png

Awesome, absolutely awesome! Can i bother to ask you where you got your audio samples? I've attained a few mb worth but none have that just-right-sound for a turbine imo. Gah, also just noticed how the plane was fighting the brakes just a touch on the takeoff runup... very classy detail. Snjo, only the propwash would make this better!;)

Edited by Dirt_Merchant

I am trying to get the helicopter propellers to snap to a "stack" node. I would like the propeller to do this as well as remain radial connectable if possible. but if not, just snapping to a stack only, I can then just make a new part that is the stack version.

I have tried editing the .cfg file for the node setup but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. can you set one up for me?

I've been working on implementing FStextureSwitch as part of my FusTek parts pack, and for the most part it has worked well. However, I've noted some peculiarities with the current release that I would like to see addressed in the future.

1) Multiple objects with the same name don't all update concurrently

Most of my parts rely on asset reuse through MODEL{} node "welds" to build each variant of a part in-game, and as such share the same object names. Unfortunately, when used with FStextureSwitch, some of the objects have their textures updated, while others don't. Here's a concrete example:

Consider a part internally called FusTekKarmonyCompactNodeMkIIIAdapter, which is assembled from several .mu files, each with their child objects:

• modelKarmonyCompactNodeMkIII.mu
    • bulkhead_rings
    • eva_handles
    • fuselage

[*]modelKarmonyEndRing.mu

• tapered_ring

[*]modelKarmonyEndRing.mu

• tapered_ring

[*]modelKarmonyHatch.mu

• KarmonyHatch

[*]modelKarmonyHatch.mu

• KarmonyHatch

[*]modelKarmonyHatch.mu

• KarmonyHatch

[*]modelKarmonyHatch.mu

• KarmonyHatch

[*]modelKarmonyHatch.mu

• KarmonyHatch

[*]modelKarmonyHatch.mu

• KarmonyHatch

In other words, there are multiple objects sharing the same names. When FStextureSwitch is applied to the part, only the first of each object gets updated e.g. the first tapered_ring gets changed, but the second one doesn't.

As such, I was wondering if you could alter FStextureSwitch so that it can handle multiple objects sharing the same name - it isn't practical for me to give each tapered_ring a unique name as that would defeat the purpose of asset re-use.

2) Switching multiple textures concurrently

The current implementation allows, for each part, one texture to be changed at a time. However, I have some parts that use two or more textures concurrently (e.g. my FusTek mission modules have a common texture file for the module body, and a series of smaller texture files for the little identifier icons that go on certain modules).

I know it is possible to use multiple instances of FStextureSwitch, and assign each of the two (or more) textures, but I would prefer not to confuse users with multiple instances of "Next Texture" button. As such, would it be possible to extend the name = parameter to accept multiple comma-delimited arguments?

i.e.

textures {
name = path/to/original_texture_01 [B],[/B] path/to/original_texture_02 [B],[/B] path/to/original_texture_03
name = path/to/alternative_01/texture_01 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_01/texture_02 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_01/texture_03
name = path/to/alternative_02/texture_01 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_02/texture_02 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_02/texture_03
}

additionalMap {
name = path/to/original_NRM_01 [B],[/B] path/to/original_NRM_02 [B],[/B] path/to/original_NRM_03
name = path/to/alternative_01/NRM_01 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_01/NRM_02 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_01/NRM_03
name = path/to/alternative_02/NRM_01 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_02/NRM_02 [B],[/B] path/to/alternative_02/NRM_03
}

I am trying to get the helicopter propellers to snap to a "stack" node. I would like the propeller to do this as well as remain radial connectable if possible. but if not, just snapping to a stack only, I can then just make a new part that is the stack version.

I have tried editing the .cfg file for the node setup but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. can you set one up for me?

It should be as simple as copying the surface attach node and replacing the name of it with node_stack_bottom = (or node_stack_top = ) since the coordinates should be the same.

I've been working on implementing FStextureSwitch as part of my FusTek parts pack, and for the most part it has worked well. However, I've noted some peculiarities with the current release that I would like to see addressed in the future.

1) Multiple objects with the same name don't all update concurrently

Most of my parts rely on asset reuse through MODEL{} node "welds" to build each variant of a part in-game, and as such share the same object names. Unfortunately, when used with FStextureSwitch, some of the objects have their textures updated, while others don't. Here's a concrete example:

As such, I was wondering if you could alter FStextureSwitch so that it can handle multiple objects sharing the same name - it isn't practical for me to give each tapered_ring a unique name as that would defeat the purpose of asset re-use.

2) Switching multiple textures concurrently

The current implementation allows, for each part, one texture to be changed at a time. However, I have some parts that use two or more textures concurrently (e.g. my FusTek mission modules have a common texture file for the module body, and a series of smaller texture files for the little identifier icons that go on certain modules).

I know it is possible to use multiple instances of FStextureSwitch, and assign each of the two (or more) textures, but I would prefer not to confuse users with multiple instances of "Next Texture" button. As such, would it be possible to extend the name = parameter to accept multiple comma-delimited arguments?

The first issue is probably pretty easy to do, I can just apply the change to all objects with the name, instead of the first found.

The second involves either some string parsing and a lot of fiddling, or a set of texture switchers in a master/slave grouping relationship. Will have to think on that...

edit: if you have an example part I can test on, that would help

Edited by Snjo

The first issue is probably pretty easy to do, I can just apply the change to all objects with the name, instead of the first found.

Sounds great!

The second involves either some string parsing and a lot of fiddling, or a set of texture switchers in a master/slave grouping relationship. Will have to think on that...

edit: if you have an example part I can test on, that would help

Just sent you a PM with the download link :)

Doing some plugin updates for the KAX stuff currently, so in order to have an official version of the plugin, the current pre-release has been updated:

Download

v6.3 pre-release

v6.3

-Oblong round noses, short and long

-Oblong to 0.625m adapter

-Helicopter landing pads by Justin Kerbice

-Warning message on the Main Menu if you are using an incompatible KSP version

-FSengineSounds: Implemented disengage, running, flameout sounds, fixed bugs.

-FSwing: Made leading edge action name cfg editable for use in extending flaps etc.

-FSwheel: supports altering retract animation speed in cfg

The landing pads were given to me over two months ago, but I forgot them in the rush of 0.23.5. Sorry about that Justin!

OwexkXZl.png

So is Firespitter causing the animation hiccups where animations (folded unfolded parts) states aren't being remembered between save/load and switching to Kerbin Command?

If these parts are using the FSanimateGeneric module, then yes, it would pretty much have to be a bug in that. The animation states are a bit wonky to work with. If you can create some steps to reproduce the issue, maybe it's fixable. Don't forget to list the parts involved.

Doing some plugin updates for the KAX stuff currently, so in order to have an official version of the plugin, the current pre-release has been updated:

The landing pads were given to me over two months ago, but I forgot them in the rush of 0.23.5. Sorry about that Justin!

http://i.imgur.com/OwexkXZl.png

:D I just wondering if you haven't forget it, thanks for the update.

I also don't get any engine sounds, but I did install correctly (I use a Mac), and my naval if flipped 90 degrees! I think the Kraken has found my game files!!!!! :sealed:

Edited by hieywiey

Hey, Snjo! I love all the parts in your mod! They add tons of extra functionality and aesthetic appeal to the game! But while I enjoy the parts and their models, the style of the part's textures bothers me. They lack a common aesthetic, and while they have their own style, I don't think it's up to par with other popular mods.

I think it's awesome that it's pretty easy to make your own textures for the mod, and that you can switch them at will. Also cool that fans can create their own texture packs for the mod, but what I'd like to do, is re-factor the mod's default textures. So, what I'm getting at here, is that I'd like to take on the role of this mod's texture artist. I've textured a few examples, but my game is bugged, currently, and I can't show you what the textures look like on the models. But some textures:

Hv6wKeR.png

8VAdFro.png

Those are in a beat up style, but I could also do them in a cleaner style, like B9 Aerospace, or in a style similar to the original, but cleaned up and made more consistent.

Please consider my offer! I'd love to work on a mod such as this!

Hey, Snjo! I love all the parts in your mod! They add tons of extra functionality and aesthetic appeal to the game! But while I enjoy the parts and their models, the style of the part's textures bothers me. They lack a common aesthetic, and while they have their own style, I don't think it's up to par with other popular mods.

I think it's awesome that it's pretty easy to make your own textures for the mod, and that you can switch them at will. Also cool that fans can create their own texture packs for the mod, but what I'd like to do, is re-factor the mod's default textures. So, what I'm getting at here, is that I'd like to take on the role of this mod's texture artist. I've textured a few examples, but my game is bugged, currently, and I can't show you what the textures look like on the models. But some textures:

http://i.imgur.com/Hv6wKeR.png

http://i.imgur.com/8VAdFro.png

Those are in a beat up style, but I could also do them in a cleaner style, like B9 Aerospace, or in a style similar to the original, but cleaned up and made more consistent.

Please consider my offer! I'd love to work on a mod such as this!

Looking good!

Yeah, I don't mind some help with the textures at all :) As you have noticed, it's not something I have put too much love into (also I have never been bothered by simple textures myself, so they were good enough for me).

Interestingly, both of the textures in your examples are up for revision model-wise, so some coordination is probably in order so you don't have to redo too many things. Send me a PM with some skype contact info or similar, and we can have a chat.

I also don't get any engine sounds, but I did install correctly (I use a Mac), and my naval if flipped 90 degrees! I think the Kraken has found my game files!!!!! :sealed:

If you get no sound, and the propellers don't rotate, it means you did not install it correctly. I know you said you did, but it's been a long time since I got universal messages from mac/linux users that they had no sounds (that was fixed around 0.20 I think).

If any mac heads can give some friendly advice, that would be nice.

As always, the install path should be KSP_Mac(or whatever)\GameData\Firespitter so that the sounds reside in KSP_OS\GameData\Firespitter\Sounds

Part Request: Support Flotation Device

Inspiration:

seaplane_cape_town.jpg

The wing tip flotation stablizers.

I like building stuff small, so the big ones don't quite match my builds proportions. I figured I ask here before a parts request as you have already made the standard floater.

While I'm at it, the center piece as a wraparound for a 1.25 meter tank would be sweet :D

I have tried getting the file from Sapceport, but it does not allow me to get the full file, or it corrupts immediately upon download completion. I got the pre-release from this thread, which I'm guessing is the very much latest release that has been given out, and might not work while others will. I would like some assistance with this, and I don't exactly want to ask for this solution to be dealt in a specific way, but the one way I think could fix this problem is by making a mirror link for the download. Mediafire is cool. And free.

This has given me problems since two versions of KSP ago.

Would it be possible to get the heli-skid in two halves (or just one half) that can be surface attached to a larger range of vehicles? And there's an FS turbo-prop I've not seen before - Have you got any plans to give it the same style propeller animations as the others. It's a really nice engine. Great work as always :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.