Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

2 minutes ago, Dafni said:

@Elway358, I use this little fuel dump, very similar to what can be seen in one of Cupcakes pictures. Takes a bit of vtol skill to land on it, but works very nicely.

3QlrEXj.jpg

Is that a stock docking port? That's basically all I want to do just minus the actual tank section since I will have fuel in the base I land on. I guess I should be ok it just looks like an awful tight fit and didn't wanna spend a bunch of time getting one there and not be able to manage it.

On 26/02/2016 at 10:37 AM, KerbonautInTraining said:

I don't know where else to ask this, I've tried the AFBW thread and gotten no response...

What do you use as the interface between your joystick and KSP? I'm trying to use AFBW but it's extremely difficult to control anything due to the joystick inputs clashing with SAS. Do you just use the stock KSP joystick config menu?

Edit: It might have been my previous joystick or my brief period of experimentation, but I have it working relatively well now.

I've always used the stock interface and havn't come across any issues. This the stick I use if it helps. :)

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

5 hours ago, Elway358 said:

Is that a stock docking port? That's basically all I want to do just minus the actual tank section since I will have fuel in the base I land on. I guess I should be ok it just looks like an awful tight fit and didn't wanna spend a bunch of time getting one there and not be able to manage it.

It's actually pretty easy, the craft is so light it kind of gets sucked straight onto the docking port as soon as you fly close enough! :D

4 hours ago, Dafni said:

Ya, stock Jr docking port works fine, go for it!

Cheers Daf! ;)

Cupcake...

Having trouble with my Pickaxe overheating.  Lvl 3 engineer, running just the drill & it heats up to 650+ degrees.  Likewise the ISRU unit zips past 1000 degrees without pause.  I don't know what the max temp is because I almost broiled my kerbal and shut it all down before he popped.  Tried night ops & didn't notice any difference in the heating rates.

Any ideas?

21 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Having trouble with my Pickaxe overheating.  Lvl 3 engineer, running just the drill & it heats up to 650+ degrees.  Likewise the ISRU unit zips past 1000 degrees without pause.  I don't know what the max temp is because I almost broiled my kerbal and shut it all down before he popped.  Tried night ops & didn't notice any difference in the heating rates.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, they did play around with the heating in 1.05 didn't they? :P My suggestion would be to add some radiators for now and once 1.1 hits I'll give the craft an overhaul. Cheers.

Cupcake...

So i combined the cabin design of some of these landers with the passenger density of a train in india, and got this

screenshot27.png

On its own, it can go from lunar orbit at 8km, land, ascend, re-enter lunar orbit, transferr to kerbin, and re-enter using a single atmospheric skip.

22 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Oh yeah, they did play around with the heating in 1.05 didn't they? :P My suggestion would be to add some radiators for now and once 1.1 hits I'll give the craft an overhaul. Cheers.

Cupcake...

Thanks, Cupcake...figured it might be something like that so a cooling module is en-route & I'm adding radiators to the build before I launch the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, max_creative said:

I need to +rep!!! Go cupcake! Also I just noticed something unfortunate. 1.1 will break most of your vtols because of at least the gear :( but then you, the vtol master will do something cool! :D

Every update breaks something but also offers up some cool design possibilities, I must say I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with 1.1. :wink:

Cupcake...

9 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Every update breaks something but also offers up some cool design possibilities, I must say I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with 1.1. :wink:

Cupcake...

You could make an even smaller non-atmospheric vtol, then deploy a base with multiple ones in it and have a duna vtol fleet! :)

(I'm thinking smaller... Are you kidding me?!? :confused:)

22 minutes ago, max_creative said:

You could make an even smaller non-atmospheric vtol, then deploy a base with multiple ones in it and have a duna vtol fleet! :)

(I'm thinking smaller... Are you kidding me?!? :confused:)

As far as I can tell, unless you want to resort to the infinite fuel hack, or be left with an arguably useless little amount of dV, you'll have a pretty hard time coming up with a functional vtol dropship that is smaller than some of Cupcakes latest releases.

My only vtol I designed was just a modified rocket power vtol with a klaw and rover wheels. The point of it is to throw trash into the mohole once I set up a base. It klaws the object and drives into the mohole. Then it releases the object and fires the engines to fly out. Or at least that's the plan. Right now it drives ok, but can't fly... :( oh well.

Friends, how do you feel about dropships that have additional rear engines, facing backwards? Like you see them in the movies and games.

I was playing around with the Lander from the Endurance/Interstellar mod, and have to admit now this configuration is actually a lot of fun to fly around. I like the concept a lot and am wondering if it is "worth" the extra mass to have two different kinds of engine (for example the downward VTOL engines for, well, VTOLing and landing and maybe atmospheric flight and then the rear engines for orbital maneuvers and interplanetary flight and all that (nukes??))

What are your thoughts on that?

I managed to piece some rather ugly designs together in KSP that maintain fuel balance and work nicely for a while, but fuel/dV is a bit of an issue. They are rather short range at the moment. Have I already found the limitation of this setup? Just sterting to go down that route, I'm sure I can improve it some more and maybe even come up with something presentable one day.

Here are some pics and an article about the Interstellar Lander, just in case.

haZ1PDu.png

7oDTDwi.png

http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/Lander

Thanks for your time

-Daf

Edit: figured this is a good place to discuss dropships. If you mind it we can move it out of here, cupcake, just give me the word. cheers

Edited by Dafni

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.