What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made a mun landing. That takes my total mun landing mission count to four across all KSP versions. Although one of those did involve landing five things, but the ultimate mission was a failure so I count it as a one.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So, I noticed that kerbals can climb on top of the flags. Then I went on to use RCS to hover (with difficulty) so I could grab the science and reset the materials bay, as they couldn't reach it from the ground. (I had no ladders unlocked yet.) Then I come here to post about this, and read in another thread that I could have used a flag as a ladder to easily reach the materials bay! Talk about feeling stupid... :rolleyes:

2 experiment went wrong and caused weirdness.

FL-T800 a 4.5t fully loaded fuel tank wasn't destroyed when the plane nose dived into the ocean at high speed. Instead the fuel tank floats and go vertical 3.2m/s speed infinitely.

Second nose dive cause by plane broke apart, try to rescue Jeb by EVA right before cockpit hit the ground result Jeb stuck half way into the ground, presumably.. dead

Wow! How did you do that?
BD armoury has an AI mode that can fly multiple planes.

Much simpler. I cheated. ;)

You can use the offset tool in the editors to pull some wingparts pretty far away from its parent part. Especially swept wings and delta wings. So the "multiple" planes are actually one craft.

ME588Jqt.png

Craft-file in case you want to try it out. :)

http://www./download/cdrr6kupy66cdxt/Sabre_5.craft

Much simpler. I cheated. ;)

You can use the offset tool in the editors to pull some wingparts pretty far away from its parent part. Especially swept wings and delta wings. So the "multiple" planes are actually one craft.

Genius. Out of curiosity, are you building just one whole jet and then ctrl clicking right behind the root? Or are you actually pulling stuff way way apart and building on that?

As to what I did today... My fuel tanks were a little low, too low in fact to fuel anything but a simple rocket so I made a few gas runs (cant see it but another tanker is off to the left filling the other set of tanks which you also cant see).

screenshot13_zpsptcdxbkp.png

So glad I moved my refinery closer to home, those things were a pain in the mountains and it took way too long to drive around them.

Edited by annallia

Last night I investigated the possibility of using Free Bird 7, which was docked at the Minmusport space station with a bunch of folks awaiting the arrival of a re-usable lander capable of hauling them all down to the surface, to conduct a recently obtained rescue operation contract. Miglas's shipwreck was placed in a 7 kilometer orbit around Minmus, easily within reach of the ship/station, which were parked in a 50 kilometer orbit. Jeb swooped down, picked up Miglas (another Engineer to train) and brought him back to the surface. Miglas now joins the group that will be heading down to the surface here in a few days once the lander arrives.

I also fiddled around with the idea of a KIS/KAS rover. Right now I don't have rover wheels, so those plans are delayed for the time being. Tried to come up with something to kill time between now and when that lander arrives; I was thinking of a Vulture flight to Mun to resupply the station there. Not sure if that'd be worth it or not - might get there and then have to use the very fuel I'd delivered to come home...

Completed a test of nuke on escape trajectory of kerbin.

9946EEAFBE189277731289F4765F7952966EC34E

F0E35D9AF4623D89443CA7D7401F8EEAF2140059

Then made my first in career mode successful dock, what a pain in the you know what this is. did this to grab Barlie From Station cause he had the most experience.

F14835522223020BD06E8AC92ADCB940FF58E568Then upon re-entry which was smooth sailing I though, all of a sudden my chutes deployed themselves during re-entry and incinerated, quick hit F9 to reload last save, oops, hit the F5 button, and come realize Barlie is not in the ship anymore ...? Check debug while paused and says he's dead, huh? Well Tomlock and Jannica are fixing to join him since I don't have chutes.

E6011060605079875729112B7C436504A567CE9B

I fixed a NaN bugged out space station (that would crash the game if I jumped to it) with HyperEdit. It was shockingly easy. All that was wrong was the orbit data was janky, so I just used HyperEdit's orbit mode, selected the ship in that GUI window (so I never actually was on the ship), and put its orbit back to about where it was before. Bam, no more game crashes and I can use the station again.

I <3 HyperEdit. No, I <4 it.

I finished the Dres mission in my career mode game.

dres_mission_6.jpeg

dres_mission_7.jpeg

I was lazy with the maneuvers, and ended up spending around 600 m/s more for the return trip than I had expected. This forced me to do some heavy aerobraking at Kerbin.

dres_mission_8.jpeg

Atmospheric reentry is still very forgiving in 1.0.4. With a 3.75 m heatshield, I was able to return the mission module back to surface.

dres_mission_9.jpeg

I just flew a spaceplane to orbit and back. It was my first time and it was... tense.

Getting up was easy, courtesy of the supposed to be wing mounted engines from Karbonite ( or Karbonite+). Being obviously meant for airliners they pack a insane, and dangerous punch when mounted to a small one Kerbal craft. It makes the start a bit dangerous because at full throttle it could easily reach Mach 1 on the runway, but having experienced that before with a even smaller plane I used for survey contracts ( which nearly hit Mach 1.5 over the distance of the runway) I was prepared for the cautious controlling it needs to pull up without breaking to pieces.

Reentering was going well as well, despite an accidentley steep approach, overshot KSC by about 150km, turned around and went back on jet engines and then took 7 tries to actually land it. Because I had forgoten to test how well it behaved as an actual airplane it basically refused to fly below 160m/s, below 140m/s it dropped all resemblance of flight and went into drop like a stone mode. I was never great at landings, but landings at 500+ kph.. .yeah. Good thing terrain is so flat around KSC. I landed about halfway down the runway and took the length of another 3 or 4 runways to slow down enough to venture turning around.

I built this lovely lady in honor of the New Horizons mission.

532A37A588E876F4C61709F2C844F836535B62A4

That massive first stage got her to orbit with the rest of her mostly intact.

49D6E177C396EE4210D5CBF9C5D76B50646EE21B

Snagged a quick flyby of Jool on our way to Eloo.

56A564CC0740A0B5080916C8504610160543C008

On the final stage for the approach.

3CF92D218AA974DEA102518440343EE83BBBD48D

One long burn and some descent later...

97567D31A177CC08EFB4159F087B9851580C814E

Whoops, broke two of the landing legs... good thing I brought an engineer. A quick fix later and we got a nice pic.

1B4B05362AEAD1E0E5B09D74F69C913CEEACFFBD

Edited by Xacktar

Started a double rescue mission as I have 3 kerbals orbiting kerbin, thought 5000ms would not be enough, turns out I packed to much fuel and had to burn off the extra in deorbit which was interesting as I lost my parachute, ended up with an accidental suicide burn which finished at 10m off the ground @ 3ms.

In a new career, I managed to do the Munar flyby without any maneuver nodes being available yet. Aka, just guessing where to burn! Went right on first try xD. Zipped past Mun, and was shot into a highly eccentric orbit with apogee further than Minmus. With the tiny bit of fuel left, I managed to lower perigee below Kerbin's atmosphere, but the descent would have been way too steep. Luckily, I got another Mun encounter on the way back, which got me a much shallower angle of descent. Aerobraked a few times, and got back to Kerbin in one piece xD.

bHYLJvH.jpg

v51ct3K.jpg

JVcob5P.jpg

8RNr3ZS.jpg

I played RSS and RO for the first time. Not sure I entirely like it, but after a few attempts I pulled off my first launch to orbit, a Voyager probe.

19675842636_d35313b064_b.jpg

19513796020_90e6f2be11_b.jpg

Now I just need to figure out the burn to get to Jupiter, that was giving me trouble.

First I made this:

screenshot2_zps1f5h4t8g.png

It was for a challenge thread I saw and seemed quick, easy, and something that could be fun to kill 20 minutes on. Of course it wasn't until after I submitted it that I had realized the thread was a few years old... Thankfully I wasn't the one to necro it :D

Then I thought, you know, that design has a lot of unnecessary parts to it.. I can do better so I made this:

screenshot3_zpsllf1tlej.png

It didn't fly so well. First it went completely nose down, then upside down, then climbed up about 90 meters and went straight back down into, or rather through the runway, then I heard an explosion and my screen went mostly black, the altimeter was still there but the numbers were all blank and that was really all that was showing. Reverted to launch and all I could see were stars, nothing else Kerbin was gone (even in map view). Reverted to SPH, relaunched, stars! Went to space center, went back to SPH loaded up a new vessel and launched it... Stars! Back to space center, went to VAB put on a rocket pod and launched it... Stars! (and an instant explosion). Closed the game down, loaded it back up went to SPH loaded up a new plane launched it... Stars! Closed game again, restarted, decided to switch to my minmus satellite... Stars! Restarted game again, went to my duna colony (what I had landed so far anyway)... Can you guess it? Yep Stars! Restarted game... noticed a little eva icon near the runway, clicked on it went to fly and well...

screenshot6_zpsnikouzf5.png

I think he is mocking me...

Also the only thing in that save that doesn't seem to destroy the universe. Guess I start over tomorrow..

After playing the game for a few months, rescuing people and putting satellites into orbit, I decided to go to the Mun for the first time.

I took probably close to 2 hours to design my rocket, changing it up several times. I made it to Kerbin orbit, then bridged the gap to the Mun. I had never been that far out before.

I had no idea what to expect. I had heard landing on the Mun was hard. Well, after looking at my speed from 74K I decided to increase my orbit to 250K. Then I went almost straight down.

It was fun figuring out exactly how much thrust to use from the Terrier engine and how much RCS to use. I made several mistakes, even going back up at one point. Finally, I got the hang of it and landed on the surface while still moving a bit laterally. The rocket fell over, but it was intact. I was overjoyed at that point. I had 39 units of liquid fuel left and 40 units of monopropellant.

I thought I'd have to leave the ship on its side, but then figured out I could stand it up using the reaction wheel and RCS. That was great. Mission accomplished! Actually, 2 missions ... fly by the mun and explore the mun. Many screenshots were taken.

First try and no reverts! =D

Well, today I continued my obsession with launched unmanned craft and created a Moho Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Payload is 2 tons, powered by solar arrays, and has three cameras at different lens lengths and gravity / temperature science.

Total mission duration was somewhere around 130 days from launch to final orbit.

While last night, in the spirit of New Horizons, I made a replica of the craft and the Atlas V launch vehicle to use. This was also extremely fun, and I even ended up with a Jool flyby that was completely coincidental. I even made the payload weight the same as NH.