What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

23 minutes ago, Billygoat_J said:

I was trying to do this very thing last week, but couldn't get the stupid modules to form a ring and attach to each other. How'd you manage it?

Mock it up in the VAB first. Feel free to use plenty of "scaffolding" (extra parts just to line things up, which you remove before launch), and the ports don't have to actually attach in the VAB - as long as they look attached and aren't embedded more than a smidgen into one another, they're close enough to dock when you launch it for real.

P.S.:
jC3uvao.jpg

Edited by parameciumkid
P.S.

It's mostly been about Munar exploration lately so I can get enough Science for the 3 meter rocket and spaceplane parts

YxoSSSh.png

Which included a treacherous entry into a crater to get to a contract location:

LgWNxl3.png

...And perfected my VTOL:

XnpazcS.png

BMotKeO.png

Edited by DunaRocketeer

Busy RL weekend, so unfortunately, I didn't have a great deal of time to play. Having to work overnight shifts for finals and undead week = good for the paycheck, bad for time to play KSP (at the time of this posting, the local time is 3:15 AM). On the plus side, my iPhone is working again (though I'm pretty sure I damaged the digitizer this time around).

The last night I played was Friday, where the first thing I did was take my existing Lawsuit 7 orbital tourist excursion craft and redesign it into a multi-Kerbal rescue ship, which I dubbed Baywatch 7. After watching Baywatch gracefully bounce into orbit, I proceeded to do two of four rescue rendezvous, picking up Herbree (a scientist) and Phobie (an engineer) from low orbit. The two maneuvers cost more delta-V than I intended, such that I did not feel comfortable attempting a third rescue (especially given that I would've had to perform a pretty substantial plane change for it). FAR borked on re-entry - always seems to happen when Val is running the show - and I wound up having to revert the flight. Had it been successful, I would've netted about 104k in profit accounting for the adjusted cost of the craft. The revert at least gives me a chance to re-evaluate the design. I'm also thinking that I quicksaved before Phobie's EVA over to Baywatch (standard procedure for me), so I might be able to get my progress on the mission back easily.

Still have two more rescues to pull - they're harder and they don't pay quite as well (what I get for not looking at the fine print first). I've also got two sat missions in the pipe, a VIP orbital trip and a Munar flyby to do. Need some better contracts overall. Bob arrives at Minmus for sci farming in another nine days or so. 

Edited by capi3101
decided to mention how illegally late it was out here...

Sent the KSS Voyager - KSC's first nuclear propelled craft - on its way out of Kerbins SOI. Fuel capacity has been planned a bit to low, but I have a few ingame hours to abort the Munar gravity assist and bring it into an orbit their to wait for refueling.
Basically it is just a training mission to collect experience and would need to go into Munar orbit and also touch down on Minmus anyway.

Launched my first nuclear-propelled test craft, which, with Jeb at the controls, made a successful loop around the Mun and returned to dock at Kerbin Orbital Station.  Followed this up with a larger and heavier version, piloted by Val, which has launched and also docked at the station, preparatory to a mission out of Kerbin's SOI, target yet to be determined (but likely a nearby asteroid). The next step will be Duna and Ike.

14 hours ago, Itsdavyjones said:

worked on a plane to use for kerbin based science, and this one works great, it actually takes off on it's own.

SoHMPA0.pngAll of the science payload other than what can be seen right now is in the cargo bay.

And what propellers be those?

Made an attempt to come back to KSP.  A few things I observed:

- Many of the mods I liked are no longer supported.  Major bummer, but I can't expect modders to stay interested forever.

- Aerodynamics seem to have changed yet again, rendering previously working designs useless.

I think I'm gonna let the devs cook it a little longer... honestly it feels more like a Beta now than it did in 0.90 (in my opinion)...  Just wish for once the game I bought would stay the game I wanted.

There has literally never been a better time to play.  Today's mission?  Collecting a tiny probe released as part of a Minmus expedition which entered Kerbol orbit and returned with some sweet temperature and goo readings.  I think I might start getting a micro-fetish, it may not be fast but this bugger has 2800m/s dV and last I checked, that's almost enough to send it out to Dres (One way of course :P)!  It also fits neatly into a 2.5m service bay for both deployment and recovery!  Though steering it is a bit of a nuisance, 'forward' is 90 degrees port of the readout so the next iteration will probably have the battery and the probe core swapped.

5C134C35A1F62496874780CC9CA53C29E0FACEC8

Edited by Hyomoto

8 hours ago, Proteus said:

tested dreamer today at first in high kerbin orbit,than went on second launch to minmus,atomic jet engines are fun!:cool:

fu17a8.png28qyd13.png26202nr.png2s0lf7b.png20u4en7.png

than minmus launch on a bright day on kerbin :P

200sqyp.png2zh2vir.png2r7m4p2.pngfdrdcg.png6is84o.png9thaox.png2h2m3a8.png2u5crk4.png

What skybox is that ?  definitely something I'd like to have for my 1.1 campaign !

44 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

What skybox is that ?  definitely something I'd like to have for my 1.1 campaign !

it's called nebula-something skybox,i found it on google,maybe you can look it up in the texture replacer thread :P

but you should google it and look it up

edit: i think this is this one: 

https://mega.nz/#!Ux4GwRSY!iM5fh7GyqmZMLGpMVsnIar9L_kKEZYLFNk9HJTpWorM

Edited by Proteus

Had a transfer window for Moho. I recently successfully tested the lander on Mun but I forgot to add a couple additional Oscar-B's for the necessary additional dv. So, things did not go well. Jeb appeared very pleased to see Alt F-12 used, and yeah, I feel dirty.

5 hours ago, Hyomoto said:

Though steering it is a bit of a nuisance, 'forward' is 90 degrees port of the readout so the next iteration will probably have the battery and the probe core swapped.

I had to fly a probe like that once.  Nuts did that exasperate me.  :\  Closest I ever came to Reverting from frustration on attempting Eve capture.

Started messing around experimenting with 5m liquid boosters and ended up with an Energia rocket... except twice heavier!

Also my biggest rocket ever in KSP: 4470t on the launchpad, 50MN thrust at liftoff, and puts 200t to LEO.
Needs some serious tweaking though; the first stage core runs out of fuel before the boosters, TWR at the end of first stage is too high for its own sake (9-10), and when decoupling the boosters and first stage, they collide shortly after and blow up, sending debris way too close to the second stage.

Anyway, it looks cool :) Now, I have to find a 200t payload that would need to be orbited...

As a proof of my limitless  imagination, it is named "Super Energia"...

Spoiler

TMruS5Y.png

7x2JLRT.png

vwMbEwJ.png

Edited by Gaarst

I've been trying to make a space-shuttle type orbiter. I started with the Burnan, a Buran-style model which had 4 2.5m liquid fuel boosters, plus the core 3.75m booster with a Mammoth on it. Didn't work at all. The rocket kept flipping due to fuel issues, and the back of the orbiter would break apart.
Then, I made the Burningan, which was mostly of my own design. It used a 2.5 m orbiter rather than a 3.75. I had the core booster with a mammoth, and two side boosters with two Vectors each. It works... okay. Whenever I separate the boosters, the core rocket becomes unstable and I start to tumble. Fortunately, I added engines to the orbiter and some fuel tanks so I can pull free of the rest of the ship. It can get into space, but not orbit. I need to tweak it. If I can get it balanced so that the core stage doesn't tumble, I'd have more than enough delta V to get into orbit...

In career mode; modified my LearJet for science and built a cool little refuelling sled that slides under it and docks.....only to remember that in this career I've not unlocked fuel transfer yet! doh! 
Heyi06W.jpg
ptc9GBT.jpgocROihQ.jpg

In Sandbox I attempted to make a very fast boat.  It was very slow and horrible! gave up on that.

bXO5h9D.jpg

And, for no-reason-in-particular, built a glider (it has small jet engines under the wings for take off, but then they're dropped and it's a pure glider)

G6gnS8t.jpg

That was quite successful and surprisingly fun to fly.  Landing has to be done carefully as it just has two wheels, both centrally placed, so it's got to remain perfectly level.

tYjGlDr.jpgHZeBGuL.jpg

2 minutes ago, katateochi said:

In career mode; modified my LearJet for science and built a cool little refuelling sled that slides under it and docks.....only to remember that in this career I've not unlocked fuel transfer yet! doh! 
Heyi06W.jpg
ptc9GBT.jpgocROihQ.jpg

In Sandbox I attempted to make a very fast boat.  It was very slow and horrible! gave up on that.

bXO5h9D.jpg

And, for no-reason-in-particular, built a glider (it has small jet engines under the wings for take off, but then they're dropped and it's a pure glider)

G6gnS8t.jpg

That was quite successful and surprisingly fun to fly.  Landing has to be done carefully as it just has two wheels, both centrally placed, so it's got to remain perfectly level.

tYjGlDr.jpgHZeBGuL.jpg

Nice!

3 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Heyi06W.jpg
ptc9GBT.jpgocROihQ.jpg

bXO5h9D.jpg

G6gnS8t.jpg

tYjGlDr.jpgHZeBGuL.jpg

Best use of those wings I've ever seen.

Finally landed the Dunabego.

w3DHOuL.jpg

hDVhLen.jpg

The return vehicle doubles as a sky-crane. The aft section is an automated ISRU unit that buzzed over to Ike to gather return fuel while I wait for the transfer window :)

Edited by Pthigrivi