What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Draconiator said:

Refining my Solex 2

It flies really nice but right now it does not turn.  trying to figure out how to do that

Place the engines a bit more outward and throttle one down and the other up to turn in the desired direction?

Refueling mission success!  So far I have used no timewarping on this mission, at least while flying.  There's a lot of AFK going on in my 1.1 game...

No bugs or crashes to report, thankfully!

Baikonur to Saturn, attempt 2. Looking at the flyby finder I realized that bruteforcing this thing (direct transfer to Jupiter with a bigger and betterer stage) isn't really an option from my latitude. Since I'm already commited to using Russian stuff it's VEEGA time again. This time with a proper endgame though.

Right now I have a second Earth flyby set up that will send me in the general direction of Jupiter. I will look for a route to Saturn later. So far cheap maneuvers (under 150m/s) I've found were a solar escape trajectory or 15+ year transfers, so meh. May have to tinker with the Earth flyby a bit more, though probably not this far out.

Edited by ptr421

I needed some help from the Mun in moving a HUGE 3800 tonne class E asteroid to Kerbin orbit.

I had to get really close. 12,000 metres close.

I need a bigger probe for these behemoths.

screenshot66_3.png

Edited by GDJ
It was 3500 tonnes mineable. Total mass was just over 3800 tonnes. A monster E asteroid!

3 hours ago, CliftonM said:

A great spin on a great classic!  I love it!

Hah!

Unfortunately, Jeb snuck off with the machine before it was time to properly test it. I guess I'm going to have to put morlocks on the VAB in the future.

I finally have a Scan Sat around every body of the system with the arrival of the Eeloo satellite on station(My first nuclear powered one in 1.05)

screenshot147_zpslr7mycls.png 

I figured that since all kerbals have the same last name, that my previous failed attempts at a nuclear powered vessel will add some much needed genetic diversity to the population. 

On 17/05/2013 at 3:06 PM, Xeldrak said:

So, what did you do in KSP today? I'm working on my project to touch down on every object in the system without mechjeb, so everything is done by hand. I launched a rocket (Project D-Man)to Duna yesterday and today I landed on Duna . After taking off, I realized that I could land on Ike too. This way I don't have to visit the Duna-system again. However - it seems I did a slight miscalculation and only reached Ike orbit....with a 30 km apoapsis.

So, I converted a space-tug I had in storage into a interplanetary towing service and left for Duna. Yeah, it has mechjeb, because I did all the landing allready and its better than just leaving my faithfull kerbals in Ike orbit (my project - my rules :wink: ). So both ships met in Ike-orbit, where I accidently triggered the last stage seperator on D-Man just after docking. However after a few months of waiting for the right planetary alignment - the D-Man capsule is on its way home :D And yes, I did not have to attend any lectures today - so there was plenty of time for KSP ;)

So, what about you?

i went to tylo for the first time today, by no means am i a new player, but i just never got around to it till now, was too fascinated with laythe, i wish i had though i could sit on tylo and stare at the sky all day

Finally got my first space station in orbit!

Okay okay, I didn't assemble it. I was actually able to launch it in one piece because it's so compact and symmetrical. So, it's not really the holy grail of docking and orbital construction that I'd originally planned. Yes, I'll absolutely build a bigger station in the future. For now, I just wanted something that could do science, function as a habitation module, and accommodate fuel tankers to allow interplanetary ships to refuel at the station.

The lighting wasn't just an aesthetic choice (although, for me, it's much easier on the eyes than red/green as I'd originally planned), I lit the station this way in order to be able to tell its orientation from far out on approach. It just happens to look pretty nice, too.

During normal orbital operations, the station will point prograde so that the solar panels (which are oriented north to south when the craft is oriented pro- or retrograde) will maintain full exposure through the day. Whenever a mission requires docking to the station, it will orient one of four docking ports to prograde depending on which is needed.

The docking ports are set up as two pressurized crew tubes opposite each other, for docking to manned vessels; the other two are unpressurized utility ports which house batteries, monopropellant, and fuel lines for tankers to transfer fuel to the manned docking ports.

The science lab is actually the 3.75m habitation module from Stock Station Parts Expansion whose .cfg I modified for the purpose. I took its crew capacity from 8 down to 3 (to "make room" for a full laboratory), upped the mass (to account for equipment), and added the science research ability and data storage from the stock game's mobile processing lab (but with extra data storage). Otherwise, the station is perfectly symmetrical and maneuvers like a charm. Don't even need to use the RCS except for during the initial installation orbit inclination adjustments.

The lab is on the yellow side, and the habitation module is on the blue side. Everything is also symmetrically strutted with KIS struts, which are so much more satisfying and easy to install than the struts in the VAB.

Right now, the station is sitting at 101,443 x 101,399 with an inclination of 0.00047, which is probably the sweetest orbit I've ever gotten.

pdFnwZWh.png 

yX98M5Jh.png

qXnfkEV.png

PeGAfgEh.png

koLlKm8h.png

UtiVtY5h.png

Good morning.  Today I thought I'd share my two heavy lifter designs, the former (High Throne) has been in use for several years, though I have just mated it with a Pleiades second stage.  I understand that such inventiveness was unnecessary and I could have just used a Mammoth with SRBs, but I wanted to enjoy the engineering satisfaction of creating real booster from scratch.

The HT mounts a Mammoth, 6 "30's" and a central "45", with a combined ASL thrust of 5,118.8.  The Pleiades upper stage used to be my 2.5 meter lifter, but it lost its job when the Twin Boar came out and was just slightly better in every aspect.  It carries 6 "30's" and a single "45", & I combined it with this one essentially just to keep it in use.

The Bol lifter has 5 Main Sails, 4 "30's", and provides 7698 thrust ASL.  The second stage had a single "45" and 6 Aerospikes, for the boost out of the atmosphere and into orbit.

Here is also my Eeloo Lander arriving and totally screwing its orbital insertion (fuel, final orbit was Suborbital with a 75 day Ap, figure *that* one out), and my 3rd SSTO.  This is the only "mature" one, the first 2 were brutes that forced orbit on thrust alone, and also the first to have a large cargo bay.

Really liking my new tailsitter SSTO launch platform. I've gotten higher payload fractions before but just from a pure standpoint of flexibility and ease of use its really nice to be able to put 30t in orbit, glide over ksc and pop some chutes. Mech Jeb is just for landing site prediction. Damn I'd love that to be a stock high-tier pilot skill.

And used it to field test my new replaceable heat shield system.

Edited by Pthigrivi

Spent an hour or so creating a reproduction savegame for the asteroid shape bug (asteroids differ in shape between 32/64-bit KSP versions).

When loading a savegame in the "wrong" version, attached ships either "float" a distance away, or are submerged and EXPLOSIONS result ^^

v110_win64_screenshot1.png